Corsair Community

Cannot figure how to connect my H115i RGB Platinum with more fans

jon96789

I picked up a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO along with the additional ML140 two-fan kit. For the life of me, I cannot fathom on how to connect everything together. It comes with the hub, connector box, H115i with dual 140mm ML fans and the two additional ML140 fans. Corsair has made the wiring extremely complex and the instructions are vague.

I have all four fans connected to the Lighting Node Pro and the CPU fan connectors on the mobo. The USB connector on the water block is connected to the USB connector on the mobo. The fan hub also has a USB connector but I don't have any more connectors on the mobo. The water block, fan hub and the node are all connected to SATA power cables. I have one cable connecting the node to the hub, but nothing else is connected to the hub.

Currently, iCue does not recognize the additional fans nor does it control the RGB lighting on the H115i. iCue does control the RGB lights on the water block only.

All the fans light up in the same rainbow pattern and I cannot alter any of the effects.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

I ended up buying the Corsair Commander Pro and hooking everything up... There were too many people complaining that their mobos shorting out with the other internal USB hubs...

None of the fans RGB lights would work until I configured the lights in iCue in the Commander Pro lighting channel tab.

I hooked up all the fans to the Commander Pro in order to get it to work... I could only configure the RGB lights under the Commander Pro section. The lights would not configure under the H115i section.

I cannot understand why I have to get three components to get the RGB fans to work properly. Corsair's wiring harness is a mess, there's wires all over the place...

You can’t run a bunch of RGB fans that pull 0.6A of lighting current and 0.3A of motor current on a single power line. Aside from nearly maxing a single motherboard header, the possibility of people ignorantly combining two and smoking up their case is high. It also likely increases the fail rate to combine the power paths. Any RGB fan with more than a token 2-4 LEDs will need a second wire for lighting power, but yes it is a lot of wiring.

Yes, you have to tell it how many fans and the type so it knows how many LEDs to to program for the patterns. Obviously if you tell it 3 and you have 6, it’s only going half way around.

You connected the RGB hub to the Commander Pro, so that is the control device — not the Platinum which presumably no longer has anything on its lighting controller.

Yes, the SATA is definitely required to power up systems like this. The ML-RGB is fairly mild in comparison, but a LL fan will use 0.30 on the motor and 0.62A on the lighting. The SATA limit is 4.5A for 12v (fan power) and another 4.5A for 5v (lighting). Still six LL is 3.72A, so not a lot of spare room. Anyway, this is why so many wires. It takes a lot of current.

Yes, you probably have nothing left on the motherboard except the dummy H115i Platinum header. I find this to be a better state so you can tweak fan controls from the desktop, rather than have to dive into the BIOS to make changes.