Corsair Community

iCUE 3.22.74 Issues after replacement Commander Pro

cheolieces

So I have an entire Corsair System. Crystal 680x, LL120's x8, H100i RGB platinum, ST100, K95 Platinum, Virtuoso, MM800, M65 RGB Elite, Vengeance RGB Pro x 64GB. Everything was fine when I built this system in September. I updated all the firmware's as I have used Corsair pretty much since 2000.

1 Day I updated the iCUE software and the next day my fans were on "Quiet" setting, but they went to full blast 1500 RPM. I tried selecting the other profiles and it just stayed that way. Everything else works fine. Fans on AIO worked as they should, but they are not controlled on Commander pro. I tried uninstalling and deleting left over files/folders and registry, reboot and reinstall. Nothing worked.

I opened a support ticket and I just received my new commander pro. (Shipping is horrid) Anyway after plugging in everything and starting computer I could see the fans spinning and the lights off, very low if any noise. I went into iCUE and setup fans and everything was fine. I went to settings and updated the firmware on the Commander Pro. The fans were quiet and on the "Quiet" profile. Nothing running in the background other than iCUE and Jacknet RGB Sync to control motherboard and GPU RGB.

I noticed the fans starting to rev up. All the way up to 1500 RPM. Still while on "Quiet" Profile. I tried changing profiles and nothing works. I replaced this thing already, just to find out it the firmware/software issue.

On another note my CPU utilization is always around 10-12% while idle and my temps are always at idle around 45c-50c. I already tried re-applying thermal paste and re-seating CPU. I'm running a 3800X. Nothing is working. My CPU while gaming never gopes above 64c even in demanding games, but the idle is killing me. 45c-50c is too high for idle IMO. With nothing running in the background or at startup but those 2 programs. In Task Manager I see iCUE taking up 8-10% and Jacknet at 1-2%.

Can someone offer me a fan curve. I'm not trying to send the commander pro back. It's not broken. It's the software and firmware. Also are there any updates coming out soon to fix the CPU utilization on the software?

Did you create a new custom fan curve? The default curves use the CPU temp as the control source - the behavior that you describe is pretty typical for that. Create a custom fan curve, set the control source to something else (that's a little less flighty) - like one of the temp sensors that come with the CoPro.

Well ... I have curves that work on my system either based on internal ambient temp or a coolant temp - they wouldn't work for you. I would, however, strongly recommend that you use one of the temp sensors. There's a couple of reasons why ...

1) The case fans are typically not cooling the components directly but the air around the components. While GPUs and air-cooled CPUs are the most common culprits, VRMs and other components also have an impact. For air-cooled GPUs, it's important to have the internal case temp at a reasonable temp (to allow it to cool).

2) The temp sensors will run the fan curves whether iCUE is running or not. If you use the GPU as the source sensor, it'll only run when iCUE is running as it requires the software to read the temp sensor. But the built-in temp sensors don't require the software for this; the CoPro can read the value directly and apply the fan curve, regardless of iCUE status.

Having a temp sensor just above the GPU would likely work well for your needs. You'd need to baseline the temperature (what's the temp at boot time) and then monitor it accordingly. So it's highly individual - and, in my case, I've got a HydroX loop so my internal ambient temps are likely going to be quite different from yours. Also, as the fan curves are based on RPM, it will vary by fan. I'm using a mix of LL and QL fans - if you have higher or lower speed fans, your speeds will be different.

But ... to give you an idea ... this curve runs based off the temp sensor at the top part of the case. The sensor is actually held between 2 of the ATX power cables. It's also right below the exhaust of my upper radiator. It typically doesn't hit 38C, at least in the winter. Summer will be different. It's also not quite optimized yet; I'm still tweaking it.

No code has to be inserted here.

For an immediate solution, you can set the control (sensor) variable to GPU or H100i Temp (CPU coolant temperature). However, those will not be functional when the software isn't running, like at boot. You typically get a fan blast to go along with that.

The suggestion above with the 10K thermistor wires from the Commander Pro box is the best option. Placement is variable and so will be your temps. You can stick one in the middle of the case just to get data, but you likely want a control source with a sufficient range to make the fan speed steps meaningful. Usually the two best places are: 1) Rear exhaust, inside or out - That will be your GPU waste heat and provide plenty of temp change. Worth it for the rear fan alone. 2) Above (or on the exhaust side) of the H100i Platinum. Your radiator exhaust temp is effectively the same as coolant temp (H100i Temp in iCUE). The only real difference is this control source is native to the Commander Pro and works all the time, software running or not Nice quiet fans from start to finish.

If you are running the 680X in traditional fashion (3x120 front intake, H100i Plat. top exhaust, LL120/140 rear exhaust, then the rear temp probe is likely the most valuable, but you might as well hook 2-3 up while you're at it. A 3rd lying at the bottom grate or behind the front intake fans will give you an "in air temp" in comparison to the other "exit air" temps.

Thank you for the help. I have 2 intake fans at the bottom as well. I will place them as follows:

1- Top exhaust near the H100i and rear exhaust

2- Middle of case near the ATX cables by the memory (a little below)

3- Bottom of the case between the GPU and bottom fans.

Question??? Which sensor do I use. Since there will be 3 which 1 should I pick in the drop down menu?