Corsair Community

Corsair One BIOS Update?

zguy85

Yea any updates for us folks who have already bought your first generation product? Do we get updates or is the attention all on those who bought the new products? Just messin, yea well I rather have an update that doesn't "hinder" our performance, still Love my C1! Edited by zguy85

• 5 months later...

It's been nine months since this thread opened. Since then, the Z270I motherboard has received numerous improvements. Critically to me, it seems they've enabled iGPU support, which means you can use the unused silicon on our 7700s to render video via quick sync.

I'd very much like to use this feature, which is pretty much standard on any modern motherboard supporting this CPU. I'd also like for Corsair to be more forthcoming about the delay. A moderator indicated that there was a bug in the BIOS update, but it seems like they were able to deploy the Spectre fix (albeit not through the live update).

• Corsair Employee
It's been nine months since this thread opened. Since then, the Z270I motherboard has received numerous improvements. Critically to me, it seems they've enabled iGPU support, which means you can use the unused silicon on our 7700s to render video via quick sync.

I'd very much like to use this feature, which is pretty much standard on any modern motherboard supporting this CPU. I'd also like for Corsair to be more forthcoming about the delay. A moderator indicated that there was a bug in the BIOS update, but it seems like they were able to deploy the Spectre fix (albeit not through the live update).

The BIOS update is in the sticky:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=177802

I'd applied that update, but I don't think it's based on a newer z270I BIOS. It seems likely that it is mostly a patched version of an older BIOS? I still can't find any options to enabled integrated Intel graphics drivers in the BIOS settings.

I just got off the phone with Corsair One support, who told me that the current BIOS is branched off an old Z270I BIOS and there are currently no plans that he knows of to branch off a newer version. Again, for reference, I'm specifically looking for Intel Quick Sync functionality via integrated graphics support (a very standard feature on modern Intel CPUs and motherboards).

Can a Corsair employee please straightforwardly lay out:

• whether regular BIOS updates are planned, and on what schedule?
  • whether these updates will branch from newer Z270I BIOS releases?
  • if no updates are forthcoming, whether it is safe to run the standard z270I BIOS software?

• Corsair Employee
I just got off the phone with Corsair One support, who told me that the current BIOS is branched off an old Z270I BIOS and there are currently no plans that he knows of to branch off a newer version. Again, for reference, I'm specifically looking for Intel Quick Sync functionality via integrated graphics support (a very standard feature on modern Intel CPUs and motherboards).

Can a Corsair employee please straightforwardly lay out:

• whether regular BIOS updates are planned, and on what schedule?
  • whether these updates will branch from newer Z270I BIOS releases?
  • if no updates are forthcoming, whether it is safe to run the standard z270I BIOS software?

- At the moment, we don't have any update on when the next BIOS update is going to release.

- It will depend on what make sense and what's possible, the motherboard used in the CORSAIR ONE is NOT a standard retail version.

- No it is NOT. You will brick the board if you try to flash a BIOS that wasn't approved by us.

I would be very, very interested in getting a new BIOS (to the point where I'd actually pay for it), if that matters at all for your planning. I would also really appreciate some clarity on if you do decide to update. It is surprising to have a board and CPU this advanced missing this feature.

• 2 months later...

Hi there are currently two more recent BIOS updates from MSI for their z270i carbon ac pro, both of which address the following:

- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

The most recent was July this year. Any ideas if/when these will be ported to the C1?

• 1 month later...

Original C1 owner here. Would like the newest BIOS as well, a top end machine should receive updates like these. Corsair is acting like LG here, not putting in the work for loyal customers who just want the most out their ($2200+!) gaming computers.

We understand that it's not simple. We get that it's not a stock Pro Carbon AC MB. Please make it happen? Thanks.

Edited by alvesNYR

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hey everyone,

Thank you for regular checking in with us, I have the following message from our PM for CORSAIR ONE regarding BIOS update:

"We are currently planning on providing security or stability related BIOS updates on an as-needed basis. If there’s sufficient demand for it, we’ll explore adding QuickSync support to Z370-based CORSAIR ONE systems.

For the first generation, Z270-based CORSAIR ONE systems, we are not planning on releasing any further BIOS updates unless there are critical security or stability issues that need to be addressed."

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

"For the first generation, Z270-based CORSAIR ONE systems, we are not planning on releasing any further BIOS updates unless there are critical security or stability issues that need to be addressed."

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

That is dissapointing, given that I have purchased the Corsair One Pro only last year, and it is definitely marketed as a PROsumer part, I as a client would expect regular updates on the bios, both security and features. Given that MSI has several updates for the sister board it was based on, I was hoping on at least a yearly update or so.

Also, feature wise, this bios is already rather bare when compared to the base MSI bios.

Please tell me we can change your minds somehow, I've been rather fond of my One, and it has a spotless track record so far. This decision will affect my recommendation towards others.

I agree, this is disappointing. It feels like support for the original Corsair One has been dropped in favour of the newer models. I have no reason to replace the C-One I currently have. It's still a very good machine. But if Corsair don't continue to provide updates for it, or indeed enable base motherboard features, it feels like they are pushing us towards purchasing the latest versions.

I haven't had my C-One a year yet. It's not second hand. It was brand new, I'm the only owner. I'd like to think that support and updates would continue for at least twelve months - that would include BIOS updates.

New features are available, Corsair should work them into a BIOS update for the first generation C-One. We shouldn't just be pushed to the back and only receive updates because of security issues. That's... Poor service.

Corsair is supposed to be better than this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hey everyone, I'm the product manager for Corsair One and felt it appropriate to answer directly here.

I hear you on wanting to have consistent, regular BIOS updates for these systems. However, the update cadence the sister motherboard in retail is on is not appropriate for Corsair One, and there are minor but notable hardware differences between the boards in retail and the boards we use.

No new features have been introduced in the motherboards, and QuickSync is unfortunately extremely niche. The customer also for a pre-built PC also has different needs vs. the customer for a DIY motherboard. Where things get extra tricky for us is that we have a history of being a DIY company, and we've produced this pre-built machine with that expectation folded in from our reputation. Certainly the newer Corsair One i100 series was designed to have more of this in mind.

But the primary focus for these machines has to be stability and security, so we have to take an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If the existing BIOS keeps the system secure and stable, I'm playing with fire by trying to push a new BIOS through. I can understand wanting to have the latest BIOS updates on principle, but look at it from my perspective: what is the end customer gaining by updating their BIOS, and is it worth the risk of a novice user accidentally bricking their machine?

Well, if you have 8-core 16-thread processor, who would like to have QuickSync anyway?

It has inferior quality than software encode, also you could always use nvenc on nVidia cards if you're after speed instead of quality and it is faster and better quality than QuickSync.

I personally think, that only place where QuickSync is really useful are NAS'es or other devices with low-performance/low-power processors, which simply do not have enough horsepower to do software encoding.

I think that focusing on performance/stability and security updates only is completely justified, look at the other brands, for example Lenovo or HP.

They don't do BIOS updates at all, unless there is performance, stability or security issue to be solved.

And I personally would not trade stability to "latest and greatest" feature set, been there and done that already...not always so great as you may think.

Edited by Etz

Hey everyone, I'm the product manager for Corsair One and felt it appropriate to answer directly here.

I hear you on wanting to have consistent, regular BIOS updates for these systems. However, the update cadence the sister motherboard in retail is on is not appropriate for Corsair One, and there are minor but notable hardware differences between the boards in retail and the boards we use.

No new features have been introduced in the motherboards, and QuickSync is unfortunately extremely niche. The customer also for a pre-built PC also has different needs vs. the customer for a DIY motherboard. Where things get extra tricky for us is that we have a history of being a DIY company, and we've produced this pre-built machine with that expectation folded in from our reputation. Certainly the newer Corsair One i100 series was designed to have more of this in mind.

But the primary focus for these machines has to be stability and security, so we have to take an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If the existing BIOS keeps the system secure and stable, I'm playing with fire by trying to push a new BIOS through. I can understand wanting to have the latest BIOS updates on principle, but look at it from my perspective: what is the end customer gaining by updating their BIOS, and is it worth the risk of a novice user accidentally bricking their machine?

I think most if us will understand and accept this position, and accept that stability and security is going to the primary focus for the original C-Ones.

That being said, improvements, updates and the like shouldn't be precluded simple because of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If something can be improved, that will increase or make functionality better and maintain stability and security (especially in the ever changing OS that is MS Windows) it should be looked at and considered.

The original C-One may have been superseded by the newer models. But it is still a premium and awesome machine.