Corsair Community

Corsair Link not showing Dominator timings

z390e

I am running Corsair Link 4.9.9.3 and it will not show the timings on my Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM.

Here is a screenshot. The RAM in this case is CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG running at XMP2.

xDA3d8C.jpg

I've tried re-installing LINK and am not sure how to fix. Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks!

Im confused, the product page on the official Corsair site literally says to use Corsair Link.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Extreme-Performance-Memory/DOMINATOR%C2%AE-PLATINUM-ROG-Edition-32GB-%284-x-8GB%29-DDR4-DRAM-3200MHz-C16-Memory-Kit/p/CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG

It doesn't mention at all iCue. Everything works perfectly fine with Link while I read stories of people having issues with iCue. I just want to know why the timings aren't geting picked up correctly.

A) The Product Page hasn't been updated.

B) You read stories of people having issues with iCUE because the only time people post is when they have issues with iCUE. It's super-rare for someone to post "Hey! iCUE is working great for me!!" It just doesn't happen very often. But ... I can certainly say that iCUE works great for me - and I have a ton of Corsair stuff. And I have little doubt that, if you go back to when Link was the current version, you'd see tons of posts of people having issues with Link.

Here's the thing ... you have a z390. That came out either right at the same time of the last update for Link or just a little afterwards. Things like this are dependent on access to the SM Bus and there are typically updates for new chipsets, CPUs, etc that are rolled into iCUE ... and not Link.

So ... your first step is really to see if iCUE will see the timings. Link is not going to be updated or fixed.

So the product page is wrong? Thats really confusing since it is identical to the instruction manual. The board isn't having any issue, its not even a Corsair board. The issue is with the RAM, which is Corsair, and on the product page for the very item says LINK multiple times and never mentions iCue. Why are you even mentioning the board, its RGB works perfectly fine.

I am going to try and be politically correct here but also provide some honest feedback.

I feel that I really struggle to receive a straight, definitive answer from support. Your answer is to not use the product that the instruction manual, and the product page recommends, and use another, not noted product.

When I did some real digging it appears that the product manager, "Corsair James" says that this is because the MOBO controls the timings of RAM and this wont work even in iCue.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=981415

My gut feeling is that this is because the Corsair software wants to control the timings and the existing motherboard software wont let it. This is odd because CPU-Z shows the timings. Maybe because it does a "read" instead of a "take ownership" and then "read".

Is there something I could do on my own to verify this? I have no interest in installing iCue to fix a display problem that another software handles just fine even with your native hardware. I just dont want any more software controlling hardware.

I am not sure how you are getting to this conclusion, but you are heading in the wrong direction. First, neither Link or iCUE controls your timings. You set these in the BIOS. They stay that way. AIDA, HWiNFO, iCUE, Link or whatever software program you are using reads a file with that info. That's it. Frankly, this has no value since they cannot change once you set them and most people are not in the BIOS fiddling with RAM timings. If they are, then know exactly what they have done. This is not the info you should be concerned about. What might be more useful is if your RAM modules are supposed to report their temperature. Those are there.

The red ROG Dominator set was released prior to your motherboard's release and after the Link program was terminated. When it was released and the product page created, Link was the only software program for this. The above point was Link might not be able to read the Z390 chipset to get the information because the program was never set up to do so. Either way, the Link program was ended 20 months ago, so updates are not coming. You can try to re-install Link to see if it is a glitch versus something else.

You are misinterpreting the discussion in the thread you linked. That user is running another RGB program that is attempting to control the RGB on the RAM. Also, most of them are on AMD chipsets and that is another can of worms entirely. If you are running Gigabyte Fusion, that might be a problem, although I can't imagine why you would be on an Asus board when you don't have RGB RAM. More relevant to you, if you are running any other monitoring program at the same time (HWINFO, AIDA, HWMon., etc.) quit and restart the PC to see if this removes the block. CPU-Z should not cause this issue.

Edited by c-attack

I am not sure how you are getting to this conclusion, but you are heading in the wrong direction. First, neither Link or iCUE controls your timings. You set these in the BIOS. They stay that way.

Just stop right there, I know exactly how to set timings. I just want to see them being displayed currently in the software. At no point have I said anything else. I was quoting the product manager "If there is a different software provided by the motherboard vendor to control DRAM, iCUE will not be able to do so because only one software can control it at a time."

The red ROG Dominator set was released prior to your motherboard's release and after the Link program was terminated.

Link has an update date for version 4.9.9.3 | 01/28/2019

My RAM was released in December 2017. I know everyone wants to try and be helpful but Im failing to see how a program that has been updated this year isn't properly addressing RAM from well over a year prior.

I was looking for a definitive answer other than "install other program" but thanks for trying to help. Maybe update thedocumentation and/or (at least) the product page, this way their customers wont be confused.

Its not just Corsair, and I dont mean to single them out. MSI has MysticLight and Dragon Center or some such, Asus has you running Aura sync and then you have to use another program for fan control...as an end user I want one program managing all of these. Right now I have 3 programs on my PC, and they are working for all RGB/Fan Control just not displaying RAM timings. Small potatoes, but irks me since I have everything else working :) EDIT - I also happen to like Corsair Link sad to hear it is at end of life.

Edited by z390e

You said:

My gut feeling is that this is because the Corsair software wants to control the timings and the existing motherboard software wont let it.

That's not correct and that's what c-attack was referring to. Whether you said that you wanted to do this or not - that's what you assumed. That's not the case.

Reading things like motherboard data, DRAM timings, CPU Info, etc. can change with different chipsets. We see this often on the forum - new CPU, new chipset, whatever and the settings aren't read correctly until the underlying components that Link and iCUE uses (CPUID SDK) is updated for the new hardware.

Both c-attack and I are trying to tell you that the issue could well be that Link (and it's corresponding version of the CPUID SDK) simply cannot read those values from or via the Z390 chipset. It's not read directly from the RAM sticks; it has to go through the chipset first.

You don't want to hear that. That's fine but that still doesn't mean that it's the most likely cause of the issue.

You said:

"My gut feeling is that this is because the Corsair software wants to control the timings and the existing motherboard software wont let it."

That's not correct and that's what c-attack was referring to. Whether you said that you wanted to do this or not - that's what you assumed. That's not the case.

Well, in that case I am speculating about your product manager's talk of iCue also failing to get timings from a Motherboard, just like Link is. I feel like you are oddly focused on a speculative post about a software I am not even using while ignoring the failure of the software I am using in my initial question.

Both c-attack and I are trying to tell you that the issue could well be that Link (and it's corresponding version of the CPUID SDK) simply cannot read those values from or via the Z390 chipset. It's not read directly from the RAM sticks; it has to go through the chipset first.

I am not saying I don't want to hear that or that isn't the issue. I am saying your company isn't noting any of that in its printed or website documentation. On top of that its a huge copout when other softwares can handle it no problem and they have conceivably less access. I accept the answer of "LINK just can't get it" as correct, but not good support, given how its sold.

The end result is Corsair Link can't get the timings. Every other software can. But hey, keep acting like this one is on me, you know, the guy who read the instruction manual. I'll be sure to remember it when I make my next purchase(s).

EDIT: BTW your post about Link is wrong as well. You can totally have two different fan colors with Link. I am doing it now on the Dominator fan. Might want to test it not sure if I have a different version than you did at the time.

I don't understand how you read the words in this thread and continually come away with the wrong idea. Either you are completely out of your depth or you are doing it deliberately. Most people that need help are less argumentative. Either way, this is my last attempt.

1) Stop referencing that thread in which Corsair James is discussing other RGB Lighting programs that have an active RGB RAM control component are interfering with the RGB DRAM Lighting control in iCUE. You don't have RGB RAM. The lighting and module detection is the topic under discussion. This is not related to the SPD timings. You don't have the offending program in question. I am using Asus Aura, Mystic Light, and iCUE all at the same time on an Asus Z390 board. None of those programs interfere with the ability see the RAM speed and timings. Stop.

Link has an update date for version 4.9.9.3 | 01/28/2019

My RAM was released in December 2017. I know everyone wants to try and be helpful but Im failing to see how a program that has been updated this year isn't properly addressing RAM from well over a year prior.

2. The update notes for that release are here and at the top of this forum. It was a security update to react to changes made by Microsoft. There were no other changes made. Link is still required for a couple of legacy devices Corsair was not ready to pull the plug on back in January 2019. Your RAM is not one of them. The actual last changes to the program were the dates referenced earlier. Your motherboard and its chipset are the relevant dates. Not the RAM release date. We have tried to explain this several times. Other programs like CPU-Z, AIDA, HWiNFO are still active and receiving regular updates, so it is not surprising they read the RAM SPD data.

However, I suspect Link probably can read the SPD and the picture you've presented looks like a GUI corruption or installation issue rather than the inability to read. So rather than continue to argue and do nothing, which will lead to no change whatsoever, try an actual troubleshooting step. There have been two suggested. 1) Install iCUE to see if it can read the RAM timings. 2) Re-install Link to see if there is a problem with the current installation. Since you have indicated a clear preference for Link, #2 seems like the obvious place to start and something that takes about 60 seconds of your time, versus however long it took to write all of the above.

3) "Your company, your project manager". You are posting in the Corsair User Forums. We are all just other product users who donate their free time to help others in difficulty. Corsair employees are easy to spot. They have the words "Corsair" in their names and their status clearly indicated. If you would like to contact Corsair Technical Support directly, there is a link at the top of this page "Support Ticket System". That is your official communication channel for tech support, warranty issues, and any other direct contact. If you would like to use your thread space here to criticize Corsair for not updating all their product pages, be my guest. If you would like to complain in general, go right ahead. But do not expect to receive help in a thread where your main goal is a acrimony.

4) "But hey, keep acting like this one is on me, you know, the guy who read the instruction manual." No one said that. We are trying to give your information that is current and relevant. If you choose to ignore everything we say and take no steps to address the issue, then that is on you. Door closed.

Edited by c-attack

I don't understand how you read the words in this thread and continually come away with the wrong idea....You don't have RGB RAM.

I don't have RGB ram, but the fan for the ram is RGB. I know this may be difficult when it is obvious you are angry for some reason. Thats why I said the other poster is incorrect. You can absolutely change it to two different colors for the fan for the RAM.

Its not me who is coming away with the wrong idea, you are. I am not bringing up that thread, others continue to, as you just did, AGAIN. Now, do everyone a favor and stop replying to this thread because you are embarassing yourself trying to be Joe Tech Support, and you've now said about 20 things that aren't true.

Meanwhile, the entire answer is identical to what I had prior to even registering here which is..."try another software". Because I definitely couldn't have done that on my own.

The RAM cooler is a separate RGB device, like any other RGB fan. It does not matter what RAM or motherboard you pair it with. The people in that thread are not talking about this. They were discussing native RGB lighting on their RAM modules and their control. All responses in that thread are centered on that issue alone, which is why I keep trying to steer you away from it. The idea Corsair James is entering is not related to your issue as you have the red Asus ROG Dominator kit that is not RGB. I have stated this above previously and obviously you are aware of this as well. This keeps coming up because you keep bringing it up in the wrong context, as quoted below.

Well, in that case I am speculating about your product manager's talk of iCue also failing to get timings from a Motherboard, just like Link is.

That is not what was discussed in that thread. I am on an Asus Z390 board, with MSI Mystic Light, Asus Asus, Aura, and iCUE installed. I did occur to me to install Link 4.9 and see if it would read the timings. It does for two different sets of Dominator modules. One recent RGB. One ancient non-RGB. I will again suggest you try to re-install or repair install Link to see if they will read the timings. Make sure to do so without AIDA, HWMon, Asus Tweak or anything else that might attempt to read the timings running during install and first check.

However, the point where you start sending me insulting PMs is where this conversation stops. I will not be helping you any further. You can always contact Corsair directly through the Ticket Support system and I suggest you do so.

The people in that thread, I never posted in.

I am using that thread as a more politically correct example of why I dont want to use iCue than linking something like this.

A non politcally correct URL that paints iCUE negatively

You are literally hurting this company even more with your fail try hard tech support.

You've been wrong on literally every thing you posted. Why do you keep posting in my thread to get the last word about something you have been wrong about since moment 1?

ffs if you actually READ THE OP you would see I tried re-installing. Starting to wonder if you work at the Verge. No one wants to use iCue.

Dont take my word for it check out one of the biggest influencers on PC builds out there, and this is two months ago.

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/1179247065542676481?lang=en

Edited by z390e