Corsair Community

RM750x Stoped working under first game load

fdav

Just after some infomration regarding a RM750x that decided to stop working. I'm currently replacing through Amazon so should hopefully get another one soon. Really just wanting some advice about the possible issue and if there may have been user error or if there is anything differnt I should have done.

I've been building PCs for quite a while and never had issues with a PSU before.

I recently build a Ryzen 5 3600 system with an MSI B450M Mortar Max and Gigabyte RTX 2070 and used an RM750x to power it, got it though prime day for a good price and liked the idea of the 10 year warenty.

System build fine and running with no issues. The next night I gamed on the system for the first time. Fine for about 20mins and then random restart, I checked all connections and tried again. Lasted about 10 minutes before another restart. I was thinking it was the CPU or GPU overheating, tried for a third time (Temps stayed in mid 60°C) and it switched off this time and would not turn on.

Double checked everything and all I get is a "double click" noise from the PSU when I tried to switch on the PC. Tried to test with paperclip and got the same noise when I turned on the PSU.

I moved my 650W 10 year old PSU across, no issues for a week. Tried the RM750x in my old PC and similar "double click" noise.

Any idea what can cause the PSU to die when it first gets put under a slightly heavier load? It's probably overpowered for my system as it is.

Any suggestions to prevent re-occurance? The last thing that I want is to have made a stupid mistake and then possibly kill the replacement as well.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your comment, just making sure there was not something obvious I may have done to cause this issue.

I ended up sending back to Amazon for a refund, no more of these in stock until November, so I'll be shopping around now.

Old PSU still going strong, although it does take about 10mins to "charge" up after being unplugged for a while before the computer will turn on...