Corsair Community

iCUE is not smart or Ryzen Master does not rule

xBLU3D0Gx

Someone please explain this to me. Is corsair just trying to trick us into thinking their coolers are simply amazing? sorry about the image being crooked.

No tricks; that temperature you linked (28.1°C) was the coolant temperature not the CPU package temperature.

Under load the wraith prism does not go above 55c and in idle it sits at 28c. This water cooler on the other hand sits at 60c-65c under load and 33c at idle...

My point is, I just wasted $170.00 on a watercooler that under preforms... However, i am using stock thermal paste. Maybe i should order some reputable thermal paste and reapply?

I think either 1) you didn't quite get the block in good contact with the H150i; or 2) the conditions were different when you evaluated (room temp, CPU load, etc.). 5C difference does not really sound like a bad mount and TIM differences should only be 1-2C at most. Certainly not 5C at idle. Idle temp is always going to be a factor of room temp and current CPU activity. Doesn't really matter if you have a little 80mm blower fan or 560mm radiator. You can only go as low as the room (or case internal) temperature.

The 5C difference at both idle and load seems relevant. An inferior cooler would more or less idle the same (when CPU output wattage is essential 0-20W), then steadily lose ground as continued higher loads are applied (75-125W). Usually when the offset is identical for idle and load, you are looking at something environmental.

The other thing to consider is duration. If I give you a Wraith Prism (or any air cooler), a 360mm AIO, and a 2m panel sized external radiator, they will all yield the exact same 100% load CPU temp -- at least for the first few seconds. That part of the process is all conductive through the CPU/block and the rate is more or less the same for all. It's what happens after that where you find differences. The cooler must dump the heat somewhere faster than it is dumped into the cooler from the CPU block. An air cooler will get overwhelmed at a certain point (wattage) or length of time and the temp goes up as it conducts heat back into the CPU. The H150i will have this occur as well, but to a much lesser degree. You can see exactly how much in the measure of coolant temperature change (H150i Temp in iCUE). A perfect cooler has 0 rise. Not particularly realistic for home use, but that is probably what you get with the 2m panel that can dump all CPU wattage in a single pass (in this theoretical example) and thus the coolant temp never increases. However, in all of those you are first and always limited by the CPU's ability to conduct heat out of itself. Anyway, before you go shipping everything back, make sure you are giving it a fair evaluation under like conditions and take into account your normal usage. Water can carry a massive amount of heat in comparison to air. Even with a huge box tower, it should not be able to compete with a 360mm radiator over any measure of time. That suggests that something isn't quite or right or different conditions.

Edited by c-attack