Corsair Community

New iCue "Freezes" and requires constant CorsairService restart

Rakshasas

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome to see this has been acknowledged after many many months. I also use a custom fan curve so it'd be interesting to test one of the default fan profiles based on previous input. This has been a consistent issue in iCUE 3.X (no issues previously in iCUE 2.X and LINK combination).

Attached is a screenshot of the flatline state, plus two sensor logs:

1) Post-flatline from the screenshot

2) Restarting iCUE, launching a game (Shadow of Tomb Raider), and showing how the sensors freeze up at a certain point and then no longer log.

I don't have any error logs to report since iCUE is not generating any error logs associated with this problem. However the Sensor Logs randomly stop (I ran the game for about 3 hours, and it stopped logging 1-hour in). Cooler fans stay static speed when iCUE sensors freeze up and requires restart to remedy.

I am sporting iCUE 3.14.104, a H100i v2, i5-6600K CPU (not overclocked at the moment), an Asus Z170 Mobo, and don't run any other software monitoring system hardware performance/temps.

1922299574_iCUEFlatline.thumb.JPG.b2807cb0f21a2c3d33b11ef04ecbf82f.JPG

iCUE Sensor Log.zip

Edited by travman320

I'm having this problem with Division 2.

After a play session, the iCUE client is either just frozen/crashed or I can't apply settings to my Commander Pro (new fan curves can be set but they never get applied while sensors/rpm still update).

Restarting the corsair service doesn't work for bringing back control for my CP. I need to reboot.

Division 2 runs at 100% CPU a lot and sometimes lags out other applications like Discord. This could be the culprit.

I have iCUE SDK disabled and don't use the iCUE integration ingame.

This happens with both stock iCUE and CPUIDSDK dll's renamed.

I also use a custom fan curve so it'd be interesting to test one of the default fan profiles based on previous input.

I did the same testing tonight (2.5 hours straight) with a default fan curve (balanced) and had no issues with the sensor freezing / flatlining. It may be an issue with the way iCUE processes custom curves.

Thanks for highlighting this Jay (and whoever else previously), custom fan curves seem to be the culprit.

i could sue you for damaging my cpu.

Fans don't have to run aggressively on water cooled system, it wont damage your CPU if fans are not running according to the curve.

In my experience fans did not stop in any scenario, for me they actually run faster when iCUE freezes.

The CPU also protects it self from being damaged if it reaches very high temps.

still its a product which one of the main features dont work. its ridicilous.

The whole Product and software is useless if the main use dont work.

Corsair you have a Software which freez constantly and makes the whole brand useless.

Pathetic. Never never corsair again. also 10 of my friends wont buy corsair anymore and aslo their friends.

Here is working like a charm. Just disable CorsairAsetek if you use HWinfo too. Otherwise iCUE will freeze.

If you plan to run really heavy tests or programs that use 100% on all cores (rendering) either transfer the performance to the Cooler and don't run iCUE during that or leave one or two cores free so iCUE has enough CPU time to do its job.

Me having a 1800x 8c / 16t allows me to do that. Also Process Lasso is your friend as you can permanently set your apps CPUs affinity.

Hi there.

Currently I am using only Corsair K70, no fans, nothing else, just the keyboard.

Crash problem also exists here (happens a lot through the day).

During gameplay the animation on keyboard freezes. When software crashes not a single macro is working.

During this time, opening iCUE is pointless, only loading cursor appears. Meanwhile, "iCUE.exe *32" process jumps from cool 0-5% CPU usage to even 50% (fluctuates between 30-50%). System starts lagging and only solution is to shut down process and start iCUE again.

Been like that since few months and still exists as of update 3.14.104.

Just to point out. I had no problems when using old CUE and a few months after iCUE "debut".

Not having this pushed off the front page so:

Bump!!

Still having the issue, no update has solved it.

Corsair may have recognized it's an issue, yet we're still suffering from the problem. No apology, no compensation, nothing.

I'm not asking for freebies, just something to say that they've messed up for the past YEAR we've all had this issue.

I think a few have figured out its to do with custom fan curves. Unfortunately the default fan curves are total shizzle so thats not an option for me and also not a solution to a problem that has been present in every single iCue release up to now.

Fortunately I have two monitors which means I game on one and have iCue and the task manager open on the other. When the app flatlines i can then easily "end" the corsairservice in the task manager to get my custom curves and monitoring back. Totally bonkers to be honest.

Sorry man, didn't see your post. Still, no need to be snarky.

By now it's not even about being snarky, nor is it even about all bugs and glitches. Now, it's about that we spent hundreds of $ on Corsair stuff, yet it can't work because their software is absolute trash. By now many think that you would probably be better with chinese 1/5 cost counterpart that at least works and you don't have to worry about damaging your hardware because this trash software glitches out again.

I think you are confused. This post has nothing to do with keyboard issues. The bug causes the temperature monitoring/graphing in iCue to freeze and flatline. This disables iCue's ability to monitor temperatures and adjust fan speeds accordingly. It has been suggested that this may be caused by using custom fan curves. Edited by BangDead1991

Hi all,

Been following this thread ever since I had the same issue as you guys. I can confirm I was using a custom fan curve and the only way I could get it to work again was to restart the service.

However a few weeks back I did a full firmware update to my commander Pro which seems to have fixed it completely for me. According to icue the firmware was up to date but I forced an update on it anyway.

Hope this helps

Hey guys, I apologize for the lack of update from us with regards to this issue. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated, I totally understand where you're coming from. I went through the thread and it seems like this freezing issue is pretty consistent from system configuration to another, so I don't think it's platform dependent due to various system configs that I've seen on this thread. I do remember a number of users reported this issue a few months back, so we then logged it and made our software team aware that we're seeing this freezing issue in the field. And so I thought the new iCUE release would have addressed this issue by now, apparently that's not the case.

So just a heads up, about two weeks ago, Tech Support has set this issue to high priority for the software team to look at and have it evaluated to see what's triggering the system to freeze. I've asked both tech support and software team to provide us an update once they've all sorted out the root cause, and potentially a permanent solution, which I am really hoping for.

Again, sorry guys for not keeping you in the loop. I'll keep you guys posted as updates come along.

Go go go Corsair Software Team !

For our custom fan curves, cpu lifespan and ears sake !!!

I guess Corsair needs to implement some fancy coding to run everything RGB wise from the controller. iCUE should just inject the code into it.

As it stand right now, you need to ensure you use Process Lasso and set permanent affinities to CPU hungry apps to leave at least 1 physical and 1 logical core free for iCUE to run properly.

If not, you'll see your fancy RGB animations play very inconsistently. iCUE service is also at risk of crashing.

The problem relies on the fact iCUE is constantly driving the animations, not the controller. A modern computer can handle it, does not use too much CPU using tons of layers here but if you starve iCUE from clock cycles it will badly derp.

Most users do not even know what CPU affinity is, therefore some will launch something like Handbrake to transcode their fav new video and see iCUE freezing and crashing.

Corsair has no way to enforce proper affinity measures other than with their own app, so the best solution is to re engineer iCUE to manage everything as Hardware lighting, injecting short bursts of code and leaving the CPU alone.

Unless there's no actual programmable ROM in the controller, in that case, well, it is what it is and maybe in the future a controller with extra ROM could be a possibility. (well, there's the firmware)

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

Have we any updates on this issue? Still stuck on the default extreme setting. I can't use commander pro as I do not own one and would expect the software to do its job correctly.

There's a new update for iCUE available now, no idea what it fixes though. Give it a shot!