Corsair Community

H100i platnium radiator fans question

Minne

Is it normal for them both to be different rpms? There both in quiet mode and the top one is at 350 rpm and the second one is at a higher rpm. Like 600. I have them hooked up to the pump like there supposed to be. My temps are fine. Temp is around 45 and coolant is at 28

Not by that much and both are too low for a 28C coolant temp. Under iCUE settings, select restart iCUE service and see if corrects. Or restart the PC. Is the software frozen? Do the metrics update?

What curve are you using? Can you post a screen shot of the Performance tab showing the curve?

Yes the metrics change so it’s not frozen. I can take a screen shot when I get home from work. No fan curve. Everything in Icue is stock. I have restarted icue and restarted pc. Maybe un install and re install?

I just got some ml pro case fans with commander pro. Is it bad to hook the radiator fans up to commander pro?

OK, whether you are using the Quiet or Balanced Preset, make sure it is applied to both fans. iCUE uses a slightly different system where you first select the fan profile (it highlights yellow), then you select each fan you want to run that profile (they outline yellow).

However, regardless of profile I don't think you should be down at 400 rpm except at sub 20C coolant temps off the end of the scale, so that suggests something is amiss. If things are still wonky, power down and swap the two fan connectors 1 <-> 2 on the pump's controller. Then boot up. Problem fixed? Did the low speed fan switch places? Or stay on the same fan #? That may be key to differentiating between a hardware versus a software issue.

What rpm should the pump be at on quiet mode? I will try switching them when I get home. Should be home in a couple hours. So the second fans rpm seems about right for the coolant temp?

If the fans switch places and the other one goes low rpm then what? One connector could be bad. I could just plug the low rpm one into commander pro for a fix?

Edited by Minne

I can't pinpoint exactly since I don't have a Platinum 240 on hand. If it is like the standard Corsair preset, it should be about 800 rpm on Quiet mode for 28C. Maybe 600 rpm from below 26C coolant. 400-600 rpm on a 120mm fan isn't going to do much on a 240mm radiator. It really should only run that at the very coldest part of the coolant range (~20C).

While it's possible this is a wonky software error, I think the actual underlying factor will be something else, but we'll see. You can test if you have software control at all by going to the Performance Tab, click + to make a new custom "cooling mode" (control curve), then change it to fixed % or fixed RPM. Do both fans respond?

Yes both fans respond. Last night I set each one to 0 rpm to test and they both responded. Okay i switched the cables and now the other fan is the low rpm one and the other one is working fine. I uninstalled and re installed and nothing changed. I set the set rpm to 900 and both fans responded and are spinning at 900 rpm.

attached are two screen shots. the rpm on quiet seems to be lower because the coolent is pretty low at the moment. should i just run a fixed rpm? what do you suggest?

1031245610_screenshot.thumb.png.09466fc6b6864e141c1f15398ef5b577.png

screen2.thumb.png.5a773fdddb41a114d89bd51681f5e73f.png

Edited by Minne

As I read the last response, I immediately jumped to fault with the fan when the problem swapped with the fan, but there still are some unexplained circumstances.

First, neither fan should be capable of running 160 rpm. It it’s either 0 rpm, twitching to move, or near the 400 rpm minimum. It is possible the fan fault with the PWM wire is responsible for this.

However, I am then surprised it passed the fixed RPM test. Can you change that to fixed 40% and see what happens? Some controllers use RPM points, some use PWM%. If it works on both, it’s hard to argue their is something wrong with the Fan PWM or tachometer wire.

Make sure you are not running additional monitoring software that is trying read the cooler. Examples of this are AIDA64, HWiNFO, and HWMonitor. They poll the device and you often get garbage values back. 214C, 8C, 160 rpm on a fan with a 400 min.

Last thing... if all the above are a miss, take that custom curve and make it functional. There should be three fan shape tools in the upper right part of the graph. These correspond to the Quiet, Balanced, and Extreme presets. Choose Quiet or Balanced. Make sure the Sensor value is set to H100i Platinum Temp. That is coolant temperature. This would be a way to test the integrity of the preset vs custom curves stored elsewhere. Also, if the custom curves work, you likely won’t want to invest a lot of time and effort into this. The coooler will be completely functional and I usually counsel people to get off the presets as soon as they are ready.

Edited by c-attack

It’s a viable control solution with some caveats. However, if the fan is the issue, then it won’t help. It may only be of use if the real problem is the Platinum’s fan controller and the fan swap thing essentially ruled that out. The most likely end result is the same problem on a new device, unless there is a direct connection to rpm vs PWM % control. That is why I wanted to test fixed rpm vs fixed %.

OK, there we go... now it comes together. I think there is a fault in PWM wire on the one fan that keeps reading lower speed. This makes PWM % control ineffective while RPM based control from the tachometer wire still works. The Platinum series coolers use PWM % for their standard fan control.

Contact Corsair directly through the Support Ticket System (header in margin up top) to arrange for a new fan. You will have to detail the issue to them. Make sure you detail how fixed RPM works, fixed PWM % does not, and when you swap fans the problem travels with the fans. Those are the three pedestals of the hypothesis. Unfortunately this will take some time and I suspect they may ask you to mail them the bad fan first, which would be really irritating. If possible, see if they will do an Advance RMA with a credit card hold for the relatively low cost of the fan.

Immediate Solutions:

1) Set a fixed RPM. Set it 700 on the desktop for quiet work. Set it up to 1000-1300 before continued load like gaming, CPU renders, etc.

2) Get out your Commander Pro. The C-Pro uses RPM tach wire based control for the fans, so it should still work on a custom curve. It will tie into the CUE software and be visible right next to the cooler. The quiet/balanced/extreme presets are there waiting in the custom curve graph area. The C-Pro will need a USB 2 internal connection. If your MB only has one (definitely possible), you can plug the cooler into the USB passthroughs on the C-Pro. It will also need its own SATA power connector from the PSU. Any existing line with other HDDs or SSDs is fine.

Now, the trickier bits. If you plug in the fans to the C-Pro (other case fans can go here too), you will be able to specifically set the 2 radiator fans to their own curve. You will be able to set them to respond to coolant temp, just like on the cooler's controller. However, the software must be active for the coolant temp data to pass from cooler to controller. This means when you quit iCUE, reboot, or cold power on, the radiator fans are going to hit full blast 2400 rpm. It can be a bit annoying, but there is a workaround that solves this.

Connect one of the temp probes (thermistor wires) from the Commander Pro box. There are 4 slots for these and they are the native control source for the Commander. You will run the wire from wherever you can stick the C-Pro and tape the sensor end to the back side of the radiator (exhaust). Exhaust temp from the radiator is approximately equal to the coolant temp. This lets you keep the fans under control at all time. This is definitely more work to set up and I would probably only advise it if you do intend to use the Commander Pro anyway for the rest of the your case fans. Those temp probes then become essential for making the rest of the case fans behave in a gentile fashion when the software is not active.

Okay i got all 4 fans set up in commander pro. got the 2 radatior fans set up to the temp of the coolant. what do i set the other two fans up under? processor or video card? and thank you for your help today Edited by Minne

Probably depends on how the case is set up. I'll make an educated guess in a P300 you have the radiator on the front intake and the top/rear as exhaust. You can use coolant temp as well for the exhaust fans to balance the intake volume. If you do anything with a decent amount of GPU load, GPU temp may make more sense for the exhaust pair. It's easy enough to make two different curves with two different control variables and see how things go. Obviously your data points will be drastically different for GPU temp vs coolant temp. Coolant temp should rarely rise above 40C. Your GPU starts off at that temp in idle.

Definitely not processor temp. That will send them on a roller coaster ride and it doesn't have any correlation to their function. FYI - the default Commander Pro fan curves DO use CPU temp as the default variable. This is not because its ideal, but because its the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. There is no reason to use the 3 fan presets on the Commander Pro. You have a dozen other choices that are better.

Is the wacky fan behaving on the Commander Pro?

Probably depends on how the case is set up. I'll make an educated guess in a P300 you have the radiator on the front intake and the top/rear as exhaust. You can use coolant temp as well for the exhaust fans to balance the intake volume. If you do anything with a decent amount of GPU load, GPU temp may make more sense for the exhaust pair. It's easy enough to make two different curves with two different control variables and see how things go. Obviously your data points will be drastically different for GPU temp vs coolant temp. Coolant temp should rarely rise above 40C. Your GPU starts off at that temp in idle.

Definitely not processor temp. That will send them on a roller coaster ride and it doesn't have any correlation to their function. FYI - the default Commander Pro fan curves DO use CPU temp as the default variable. This is not because its ideal, but because its the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. There is no reason to use the 3 fan presets on the Commander Pro. You have a dozen other choices that are better.

Is the wacky fan behaving on the Commander Pro?

yes it is behaving in commander pro. it's working like its supposed to without a preset rpm or %