Corsair Community

Solution for the "KBD Boot Loader" on Windows 10

MaxSpiltz

Same problem here. Randomly started flashing Caps and Scroll lock.

Reset doesn't work (Unplug and hold ESC and insert again) Lock & F1 Doesn't work.

Ticket raised - Will reply with their answer.

Main issue seems to be Firmware is NOT available publicly as stated in above post. Hoping for some help - hundreds of lovely keyboards broken for a stupid software reason.

I posted:

Customer via channel 'Service Web' 08/08/2018 09:22 AM

The keyboard that has an error is out of warranty, yet I have purchased several of these and K40, 65's for PC builds.

The A and Scroll lock constantly flash.

I have tried:

Win/lock and F1 does nothing

Holding down ESC for ten seconds or longer has no effect.

I have not tried to do anything with the firmware as non seems to be available for the K30.

Can you offer a way to get around this when no firmware or update software exists?

There are no solutions to this on the forums for a K30.

Closest solution for K40 only: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...&highlight=K30

Firmware to fix this is not available as seen in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...&highlight=K30

Corsair Nick from support replied

"We don't have firmware files available for public download, but you can reach out to our Technical Support staff, and they will be able to provide them to you."

Is it possible to send a firmware update or offer a solution please?

The K series are the comfiest keyboards for me, but I cannot risk this happening again if it can randomly happen with a convoluted fix or no fix at all.

Thanks for listening,

Leigh.

Corsair responded:

Staff Account (Richard TS) via channel 'Email' 08/10/2018 08:18 AM

Hello LEIGH,

Thank you for bringing this up.

We do have a software that you can use to update the firmware of this k30 keyboard.

Please see attachment.

Regards,

Chad

The links are for the same 2013 Drivers and PDF.

I replied:

Hey Chad,

Thanks for the reply but this is the driver software and PDF from 2013.

It does not allow the updating of firmware. Could you please tell my why you thought it did?

I'll explain this universal Corsair problem in more detail to help you out.

I have the 'Corsair Flashing Lights & bootloader mode issue' rendering K30's and some K40's unuseable.

Higher models also experience this issue, but have buttons and software to help fix them.

Please note: Corsair are still selling the K30 via amazon - (Version is CH-9000043-UK priced at £49.99) using the above 2013 software. It does not work in iCUE.

My version is no longer sold (CH-9000043-UK)

The K30 is cycling in Bootloader mode. Apparently, as no one is really sure, it has no way of stopping this without a firmware update and program: See attached pictures & links to threads covering this problem on ALL Corsair Keyboards at one time or another.

ALL FLASHING LIGHT ISSUES

K30

https://twitter.com/corsair/status/7...836224?lang=en

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...?t=129802?db=5

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=803253

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=136087

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162319

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=136087

K40

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=119690

K50 Vengeance

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164761

K95

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=119690

There are many other threads, all pointing to the fact that some can be fixed, others cannot.

There is NO fix for the K30 when it is stuck in bootloader mode.

This randomly happens I've read. Anything can cause it after a week or in my case four years use.

There is no fix or solution, yet the product is still being sold.

There are many suggestions in the forums, yet none work.

I have tried WinLock&F1 to get in or out of bios mode. The lights still flash - no change.

I have tried resetting the keyboard by holding down the ESC key when plugging back in to several computers. No change.

My one last hope is to do what a Corsair Support guy said in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171958

Corsair Nick

Corsair Employee

We don't have firmware files available for public download, but you can reach out to our Technical Support staff, and they will be able to provide them to you.

So, Chad...

Please confirm whether any K30 firmware is available or not and I will update every post stating so to save others time.

Please confirm whether a Corsair fix is available for the K30 bootloader issue or not and I will update every post stating so to save others time.

Please confirm whether the NEW model K30 (CH-9000043-UK) has this fault and I will update Amazon K30 product reviews to save others time and money.

I love the feel of your keyboard above all others. I'm already feeling strain in my wrists on a cheap spare keyboard, but I refuse to purchase or suggest Corsair Products if this stupid fault can randomly occur, rendering a perfectly good keyboard broken with no support or fix available while still being sold directly from the manufacturer on Amazon.

Thank you, Leigh.

I will await their reply and update...

#UPDATE 2

Corsairs reply:

Hello LEIGH,

If you're asking for specific firmware file for the K30, that's something that we don't have since we're only using the software I provided to you to update K30 keyboards.

Boot loader issue can be fixed only by updating the firmware file though it won't be resolved if the main file storage drive is corrupted.

Regards,

Chad

-----------------------------------------------------

So:

1 - There is no firmware for any model K30, the program/driver from 2013 is used to update the keyboard and bootloader can only be fixed by updating the firmware file as long as the 'main file storage drive' is corrupted.

This confused me, so I asked for clarification:

Hey Chad.

You state:

If you're asking for specific firmware file for the K30, that's something that we don't have since we're only using the software I provided to you to update K30 keyboards.

Right, so there is no firmware for either K30 products. Good to know.

So when was the last update for the keyboard sent out? As my keyboard randomly started flashing and has been unusable since, I'd like to know how you update the K30 and when it was last updated.

You also say...

'Boot loader issue can be fixed only by updating the firmware file though it won't be resolved if the main file storage drive is corrupted.'

What is the 'main storage drive' in this scenario, and if it requires an update to the firmware file without firmware being available, how do I do that?

Thanks Chad. Very intriguing.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'll update with their response....

Hello LEIGH,

K30 and Vengeance K30 keyboards are being update since then with a software which I provided to you and updates are being provided automatically from our server to your keyboard using this software.

This keyboard has a storage drive to with a maximum of 1mb to store firmware file and this what the keyboard uses to communicate to the software and computer, with this corrupted keyboard functionally will be gone as what you're experiencing.

Regards,

Chad

So I wrote:

Hey Chad,

Cheers for getting back to me.

1 - So you don't know when the updates are sent, their size or what they do, but that definitely happens automatically without the consumer knowing.

OK.

2 - You think the main 1mb memory on the K30 for firmware which is automatically updated by Corsair at any time is corrupt.

Okidokes. I can get my head around those facts.

So just a few more questions:

1 - What can cause the Corsair Firmware to be suddenly corrupted, as it has happened to me and three of my clients suddenly.

Do you have any idea what can cause it? There must be enough data since 2013 about this issue to have some thoughts. It may need an update to the manual.

2 - Seeing as you are knowledgeable and aware of the fault my keyboard has, can you offer ANY suggestion to fix it?

Can I reset the Corsair storage drive? Can I open the keyboard and reset it?

I've told you what I've tried, but you've not offered any other solution. Please don't tell me there is no fix if this happens?

3 - IF THERE IS NO FIX:- As I've bought a product that could randomly cease to function at any time without any possibility of a fix, no support options and no replacement for such an error, can you offer any suggestion to current owners of the the K30/K40/K50/K55/K65 etc?

I'm really lost here, frustrated and rather dissapointed too. Corsair....tut tut.

I look forward to your reply.

Leigh.

It looks like the K30 is dead if the flashing lights happen. BAH!!!

I'll reply again with their response.

...3 days later...no response.

--------------------------------------------

Customer via channel 'Service Web' 08/21/2018 12:24 PM

Hey Chad,

It's been a week.

May I have a response please.

Thank you.

CORSAIR REPLY

Hello LEIGH,

Sorry for the late reply.

Most common reason a small data memory chip corruption are Physical Damage, Bad sectors and repeated re-flashing.

For older version of K30 and K40, we don't have a reset button hence we don't have copy of firmware file for this keyboard and no way to get one. Keyboards like K70-K95 have this either reset hole/button located on the bottom side next to right tilt leg or beside the cable outlet on top of the keyboard.

Sorry but we don't suggest nor offer repair to any of our peripheral products.

Basing it from what you've told me, you've done all of the troubleshooting that we know aside from the firmware update software that I provided to you which you told me that no longer working.

I'd suggest using the keyboards with care and don't just update the keyboard's firmware unless you're having an issue.

I really want to help you out but your keyboard long passed its warranty which stops me from approving an RMA.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Thank you.

Regards,

Chad

Round and round we go...

Hey Chad, thanks for the reply.

I don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from you so I'll explain again in further detail as it appears you havent understood anything I've written previously.

Firstly:

I have NOT flashed anything Chad, so replying with 'I'd suggest using the keyboards with care and don't just update the keyboard's firmware unless you're having an issue.' is an insult. I was watching my daughter play the Witcher 3 when some buttons stopped working on the K30. We closed the game to find out that the Caps Lock and Scroll light were flashing on the K30. I investigated the issue and contacted support. That is ALL that has happened. It was working, and then it wasnt. I did nothing.

Secondly:

You state 'Basing it from what you've told me, you've done all of the troubleshooting that we know aside from the firmware update software that I provided to you which you told me that no longer working.'

1 - Can you confirm the 'troubleshooting' you would normally offer to k30 users with flashing light issues as you've never explained them to me. I had to find ALL of this information via posts dating back to 2013 for the very same fault for information. You've offerred me no advice.

2 - You say 'aside from the firmware update software that I provided to you which you told me that no longer working.'

I don't know how it works! How can I know if it's working if you cannot tell me how it works? There is ONE driver from 2013 which is the same for both versions of the K30. If this is the firmware updating software, I cannot manually force an update, thus I'm left with a broken keyboard through no action of my own.

You can't even tell me when the last update was sent out for the K30? It's a really easy question Chad. When was it updated and why? It was working fine!

Please aslo explain how I can 'USE' a firmware updating software without firmware? You've just said you don't have it for the K30.

3 - I did not ask for an update yet clearly something has corrupted my Keyboard.

I want to know what can cause the K30 Caps Lock and Scroll light to suddently start flashing and windows to only see your K30 keyboard via Bootloader?

As there are hundreds of people posting since 2013 about this issue, I find it remarkable that you've just stated:

'For older version of K30 and K40, we don't have a reset button hence we don't have copy of firmware file for this keyboard and no way to get one.

Are you aware that you've just admitted that there is NO firmware and no way to get it?

There is no copy of the firmware file?

There is no way to get one?

Please reply with some answers for all K30 users.

Your replies have not helped at all.

Leigh.

Still awaiting a reply......

CORSAIR ARE STILL SELLING THE K30.

Still no reply....

Customer (LEIGH) via channel 'Service Web' 08/30/2018 11:19 AM

Hey Chad,

I'm updating so the ticket doesnt time out after 14 days.

I know it's not an easy issue, yet if you are unable to answer my query, maybe another support person could help?

There are a few people awaiting replies as their K30 keyboards have also done the same thing.

Please offer a response to these new Corsair customers that are dealing with the same old problem I have.

Thanks,

Leigh.

___________________________________________________________________________________

CORSAIR REPLY:

Hello LEIGH,

Sorry for the late reply, I've gone and check the software that I sent to you to check if it is still possible for this keyboard to get firmware update using the software. Good news is that it still works but you would have to use Windows 7.

I attached again another copy of the software in case you already deleted it.

Let me know if it works on your end.

Thank you,

Chad

So we're back at square one after a few weeks. I believe there is no answer, the software is broken and can BE broken at any time and Corsair do not know hot to fix it.

I decided to follow Chads advice to see if the K30 can be fixed....

Customer via channel 'Service Web' 09/02/2018 12:42 PM

Thanks Chad.

I've installed the driver on a Win7 laptop.

I started the software.

I plugged in the Keyboard.

The keyboard was immediately picked up via bootloader.

It does not say K30, but Bootloader, as it does on Win10.

Both CAPSLOCK and SCROLL LOCK are still flashing simultaneously.

So how does the update thing work?

As there's no option in the software to update, what happens now?

Any tips?

Leigh.

I've had three people email me about this K30/40 issue now. All of them have bought new keyboards.

AWAITING CORSAIR REPLY.....

This was Chads reply. Good grief this is getting tedious...

Staff Account (Richard TS) via channel 'Email' 09/04/2018 08:43 AM

Hello LEIGH,

Can you tell me what driver did you install?

Please send us also a screen capture showing "bootloader" that you mentioned.

Regards,

Chad

So I got together screenshots etc and sent this back....

Hey Chad,

I'm using the software you sent. Definitely. No doubt about it. 100%.

Once again...

I've installed the driver on a Win7 laptop.

I started the software.

I plugged in the Keyboard.

The keyboard was immediately picked up via bootloader.

It does not say K30, but Bootloader, as it does on Win10.

Both CAPSLOCK and SCROLL LOCK are still flashing simultaneously.

The Laptop does NOT recognise the K30 as the K30. Something to do with these flashing lights as the K40 has the same issue but can be flashed.

No matter what I plug the K30 into, no matter the port, no matter the OS, the keyboard does the same: Flash Caps and Scroll Lock as seen in the attached picture and be picked up via Windows via Bootloader.

So, please, can you offer a solution to this ridiculous problem?

Corsair clearly just replace in warranty keyboards with this issue again and again as seen in your forums

Just search your own forums Chad for K30 Flashing Light.

I'm looking for either a solution or confirmation that my K30 suddenly stopped working for no reason.

I will then update all K30 owners with this issue on your answer.

As you're still selling the K30, and people as recently as last week on your very own forums are still having exactly the same Flahing lights issue, I feel this matter is important to resolve.

Thanks for your continued support Chad,

Leigh.

AWAITING Chads REPLY....2 weeks later

FINAL REPLY from Chad on 10/08/18

Hello LEIGH,

Sorry for the late reply again.

I've been searching for answer for this with no luck or possibly theres really no solution for this. There are some reports that firmware update using the K40 method works but I'm not sure since I don't have a way to replicate it my self.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=835002#post835002

Regards,

Chad

My final reply:

Thanks Chad.

You've just sent me the same link I sent you months ago to explain my situation.

I have absolutely no confidence in Corsair any more.

You could have answered my query with a simple 'No. It's broken and out of warranty.'

The K30 software can fail at any time on Windows 10. This software/driver issue cannot be resolved. This is not covered out of warranty.

Within warranty, the unit will be replaced.

The best membrane keyboard I've ever typed on. The lights were simple, the weight and build quality sturdy. I've written a book on the damn thing.

I just wanted to buy another one, but when it failed in such a way, I just had to ask why.

I appreciate your time Chad.

You can close any open threads.

Edited by roughsleeper
FINAL REPLY - K30 bootloader/flashing lights can not be fixed

• 1 month later...

This fix worked great once I found a working link for the K40fwupdate.exe

I was about to lose my mind once I got to step 19 and I was looking all over for it and I realized my keys no longer worked. All I had to do was unplug it, replug it to get it typing again. Then I went to google and found the firmware update here: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Corsair/Corsair-Raptor-K40-Keyboard-Firmware-Software-1004-120313.shtml

After that, I had to uninstall the HID driver again under the KBD Boot Loader device. Then I could finally do the firmware update. Lights immediately stopped flashing and keys were backlit again. Thank you so much. Hope that file link helps other people looking for the K40 firmware. I'm sure the k30 is probably floating around somewhere too.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm waking up this post because I'm looking for the executable K40FwUpdate1.00sw-1.4.exe, which is no longer available in the archive provided by Corsair.

I have already contacted the after-sales service without success: Corsair is unable to provide me with one of their old programs. :sigh!: :mad:

Does anyone have the file K40FwUpdate1.00sw-1.4.exe?

Thank you! Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...