Corsair Community

Unusual H150i Noise

jmrtlara

These past few days I've been bothered by the loud noise coming from my computer. I initially thought it was the exhaust fans. But then realised it was coming from the H150i pump itself. Check out the video below.

Basically..

Quiet mode = no noise

Balanced & performance = audible noise

I just wanted to ask here quickly before I wade through the infamous Manila traffic to the store where I bought it from, and will this be considered a warranty issue, or is just how the pump is expected to work at times? I bought this only last April.

[ame]

[/ame]

Generally when the noise is uneven in tone or sporadic in rate it is air bubbles. It’s a bit odd it drops off completely in Quiet mode. However, it’s possible that’s because the bubbles completely block the flow. Do you see a rapid change to the coolant temperature (H150i Temp) when you drop to Quiet mode?

The solution for this is a bit old fashioned. You can try switching between Quiet and Extreme pump speeds every few seconds in an attempt to force a fluid pressure change in the cpu block. If that does not work, set it to the highest pump speed and then tilt the case, tap the pump and/or hoses gently to encourage the bubble to release. I’m afraid it it is a bit hit or miss.

1C is not a significant change and not what I would expect from a flow restriction. Does this mean the pump cycling and hose taping was not successful?

The more extreme tactics are to tip the case over on it's back so the tubes are now above the pump/block. You may need to let it run for a little while like this and again some light tapping might help. Final throw of the dice is to take the cooler (or at least the pump head) off case and give it a good shake. You never know what you are going to get from this, but it is the final thing to try before putting back in the box. If you have a 24 pin jumper for your big ATX motherboard cable, you can run the pump without putting back on the cpu. There is usually one of those in your original PSU box.

If your shop you work with is friendly, there is no real reason to be concerned - traffic aside. However, if you feel like you have to prove to them there is something wrong, make sure you have been thorough. A lot of places will tell you it's your problem and send you on your way.

I tried flipping the case upside down and instantly the sound went away. The cycling of modes and tapping did not work unfortunately.

As soon as I flipped it back, the sound went back.

My only recourse where I get a less consistent crackling noise is by keeping the pump in performance mode all the time.

My question is now, is this really what's expected in an AIO cooler? I had always presumed for the price of a top market AIO this shouldn't happen, or at least be replaced outright.

But unfortunately the distributor where I got it from asked me to leave my PC in their store for a few days until they could get the warranty replacement if I will go that route.

Well, I think you have demonstrated this is almost certainly a bubble issue. Any kind of motor defect or electrically anomaly does not care what position your case is in. That kind of noise is consistent and persistent in tone. It's not the variable static "popping" sound of bubbles. More often than not, this happens after you take it down to clean, move the case a bunch, or otherwise interrupt the normal state of affairs. That said, I routinely took my radiator down to put new fans every single month for years across multiple different cooler and this typically doesn't last for more than 1 minute after I'm done. For some reason, your instance is rather stubborn.

I think the most expedience resolution is to leave it on its back, pump on Extreme, for as long as you can (6-8 hours?). Hopefully that is enough cycles to push it out. If not, I would try the removal and shaking. This is not a terminal issue and all closed and open loop systems can be plagued by bubbles. Physics can't be avoided.

I am not sure why the shop would want you to bring the whole case in, unless they are going to test and problem solve, or... they can charge for service. I don't really know what is customary in the Philippines, but this should be something you can resolve.

OK, contact Corsair tech support through the ticket system in the menu above or if you know your local laws dictate service through the vendor you bought from, take it in to them. Bubbles should not be that stubborn and there may be another internal issue contributing the problem. Regardless, this is not how things are supposed to be and you'll only make yourself miserable trying to live with it. There are very few complaints about the Pro series and noise, so this is unusual.

If you do contact Corsair, maybe make a video with the H150i in "zero fan mode" and yank the rear fan cable to take those out of the mix. I know exactly what all of them sound like and have no trouble differentiating between them, but that may save you some back and forth with support. As you pan away from the PC I can hear the pump garble reflecting off the wall. That is the sound you want to capture. The fan covers over it when the microphone is close.

UPDATE:

Almost giving up...and I decided to try a last hail mary. This time I shook the entire computer case while it was running...lo and behold....a sound of water dissipating and then everything is quite again :D

Edit 2:

Update 1 was short lived...it worked for a few minutes...and right back at it again I am back to square one with the same loud pump noise. It dissipated and then came back shortly after. Will take the support route I guess.

Edited by jmrtlara