Corsair Community

128gm ram (4x32gb)?

BanditTA

Hi long time Corsair product user but been out of it for a while.

I am trying to get 128GB RAM 3200 DDR4. I can find sets of 2X32GB for sale such as this

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236586?Item=N82E16820236586

but according to what I am seeing on the ASUS approved list

(ASUS ROG Strix TRS40-E it appears that only 16GB pieces can be installed??

It is my understanding that the AMD threadripper 3970x can work with 3200 max.

And I also read that buying two matching sets of Corsair RAM can cause problems, as in I buy a kit today and a month later I buy the same kit again?

Thank you for any help. I do not want to make an expensive mistake since I haven't bought the system yet

First, when going with ThreadRipper (or Intel Extreme) ... these are quad channel CPUs. So yes, you want to get them in sets of 4 matched DIMMs. It's when you have mismatched DIMMs on the same channel that you can get into problems.

The 3970X officially only supports 3200 but you can go up to 3600 before you get into issue with the fabric and the memory running at a 2:1 ratio, which will cause issues. Personally, I'm currently running 3466 Mhz in a 3960X.

As far as the QVL - the QVL is the list of memory that the motherboard vendor has tested. They may be a guideline but they aren't the final answer. I've got 8 3466 Dominator DIMMs running on my system just fine ... and they aren't on the QVL. If it's on the QVL, you can be fairly certain it'll work. If not, then it's likely to work but not certain.

Thank you very much DevBiker.

If I order the PC with 4 matched sets of RAM such as 4X16GB in four of the slots

and then I later add a set of 4 (same brand/type but greater capacity) to the other slots (4X32GB) myself for something like 192GB total RAM is that ok as long as the RAM is QVL?

Or do both banks of 4 slots have to have the same ammount of RAM so you cannot put 64 on one side and 128 on the other?

Edited by BanditTA

You can put different amounts in the different channels.

They would need to be the same brand and speed, including all timings. I had it all working with my ThreadRipper 2950X build where I had black and white Vengeance RGB RAM - 1 4x64GB kit and 1 4x32GB kit. That said, it's not a guarantee that you won't have issues - you still may - but it's likely to be OK.