Corsair Community

HX1200i vs AX1200i

Salsiccia

I know that you should never mix 'n' match cables from different PSUs, hence me asking here first !!

I wanted to get the AX1200i PSU for my new build, but when I went to order my Cablemod cables, the AX1200i was Out of Stock with no ETA on coming back at my usual retailer. I went ahead and ordered cables for the HX1200i instead, being my second choice which was readily available and also $200 cheaper than the AX. Now I see that the AX1200i is available again and I have already received my Cablemod cables.

So my question is will those cables still work if I go ahead and order an AX1200i now or should I go with the HX1200i for best compatibility.

Edited by Salsiccia
typo

Excellent, thanks aceman.

Out of interest, what didn't you like about the HXi?

I've got an HX1000i in my daily drive and have no issue with it and also have an HX1000 sitting around as a spare. I am keen to try the AXi though, but not through any issue with HXi so I'm curious what you may have found.

Well, it's a bit of a long story. But here goes. I like to run a piece of software called HwMonitor by cpuid. Well once I connected the HX1200i's usb monitoring interface to my computer. Hwmonitor would freeze every couple of seconds. I mean ever 2 seconds it would freeze. The only way to make it stop was to remove the usb driver that the power supply used. Then hwmonitor would work fine. But no monitoring. Prior to this I had a AX860i and it never did it. It uses a little usb adapter that does not seem to interfere with hwmonitor. I spend hours troubleshooting this. Unplugging, and replugging it into different usb headers. But it always froze hwmonitor for 2 seconds, then would run, then freeze, etc. So, I just elected to go with the AX1200i. I prefer it anyway. The HXi is not pure digital like the AXi is. So imo the AXi is a better power supply.

But that was the reason I returned it. As I said, even if I just removed the driver for the usb device for the power supply hwmonitor would work fine.

@acemaninwa871

In theory and on paper yes the AXi should be better but you are very lucky considering you have one that actually works. Not that HXi is any better imho.... Anyway, one question: when you running HWmonitor do you have Icue running in the background ? If you do you should know that those 2 cannot work together at the same time... HWmonitor for some reason is forcing Icue to stop working without any obvious error message.

@acemaninwa871

In theory and on paper yes the AXi should be better but you are very lucky considering you have one that actually works. Not that HXi is any better imho.... Anyway, one question: when you running HWmonitor do you have Icue running in the background ? If you do you should know that those 2 cannot work together at the same time... HWmonitor for some reason is forcing Icue to stop working without any obvious error message.

Well I am not sure I believe this. I have icue running all the time now. And have never had a problem running hwmonitor along side it, until I had the HX1200i. It's usb interface has problems. I even reinstalled a clean copy of windows and it still did it. The dongle seems to work better with the AX1200i. I have read others have had issues with the AX series of power supplies. My 860 and 1200 seem to work fine. But I always obey the 80% rule in power supplies.

Yes 80% rules makes sense. But having 2x ax1200i dead on arrival is another story. That's why I said you are lucky.

Anyway back to topic, I have Icue running with a commander pro attached to a usb port, a K95 RGB k/b, lighting pro for LL fans and for a few hours I also had ax1200i. Everything worked fine even PSU in Icue. However every time I use HW monitor looks like Icue is stopping. I need to restart Icue service and Icue software itself to make it work properly again. Maybe is commander pro that's causing it but in any case I thought to share it with you in case you have the same symptoms.