Corsair Community

AX860i Issue - has this been fixed

Erinon

Well I recently put my 860i back into my PC and after a few weeks of use the reboots returned. I see that other users are experiencing this as well.

Guess I'm going to go down the RMA route again.... <sigh>

And I love seeing issues like this. Why? Not because I enjoy seeing others suffer but because I can inform them of their option.

That said depending on where you live (referring to USA here) they have lemon laws for items that aren't cars. Typically you can find them referred to as "Item Merchantability" and this is NY states law regarding it:

"

ยง 2-314. Implied Warranty: Merchantability; Usage of Trade.

(1) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316), a warranty that the goods shall be merchantable is implied in a contract for their sale if the seller is a merchant with respect to goods of that kind. Under this section the serving for value of food or drink to be consumed either on the premises or elsewhere is a sale.

(2) Goods to be merchantable must be at least such as

(a) pass without objection in the trade under the contract description; and

(b) in the case of fungible goods, are of fair average quality within the description; and

© are fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used; and

(d) run, within the variations permitted by the agreement, of even kind, quality and quantity within each unit and among all units involved; and

(e) are adequately contained, packaged, and labeled as the agreement may require; and

(f) conform to the promise or affirmations of fact made on the container or label if any.

(3) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316) other implied warranties may arise from course of dealing or usage of trade.

"

Pretty sure all states have a version but the wording is different depending. TL;DR is this PSU has shipped with the wrong screws wrecking the boards (which johnnyguru should have been aware of as he was involved in finding that http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168396) which could have something to do with the refurbs. But he does an excellent job of trying to blame shift.

That said, take the gloves off if you want to get anywhere otherwise you are just going to keep getting run through the wringer until you have had it.

Hope this helps. Did me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the Uk. Hopefully they will accept its duff and give me new one with this issue fixed.

If you're in the UK then you have something similar but from what I know it's better than what we here have in this regards. Don't know the name off the top of my head though.

My guess is that they may have fixed it but still have a bunch of dodgy units out there. But yeah, as much as you have been through you would have thought someone would have pressed pause with your case and taken a closer look at things since you have had the same problem several times.

Hope you get it resolved in a manner that actually solves the issue.

Cheers

Still no response from Corsair to the ticket I raised 8 days ago.

Raised a second ticket - no reply other than the auto " we got your ticket".

Do they still read these forums?

Pretty poor customer service.

Still no response from Corsair to the ticket I raised 8 days ago.

Raised a second ticket - no reply other than the auto " we got your ticket".

Do they still read these forums?

Pretty poor customer service.

And another reveal, since they don't quite get it. First things first, to Corsair and specifically Mr. A. S. (the guilty party knows who they are). This is going public fully on August 3rd if I have not received the paperwork for that by then. An agreement, is an agreement, is an agreement. I will also at that time be requiring you (Corsair) to provide full warranty support for the CPU, motherboard and the drive within the terms of the normal warranties for said products. Again, I kept up my end, and you have sort of kept up yours but until fulfilled 100%, I will consider the verbal agreement NOT to discuss this as null and void. And if I get them before then, great, no more will be said.

As for your issue Erinon, read this as it deals with your protections under the EU law (Brexit hasn't hit yet and you are covered here). That is if I recall right where you are from :)

Should help you figure out your next steps, of which I fully support here if you go the nuclear route like I did.

Got a reply last night - offering RMA and requesting copies of order - which they had from the previous 2 RMA's.......

Does anyone know if this problem has actually been fixed with the 860i?

Just saw this, at this point I would suggest asking for a completely different model as you have already gone through this issue with, what was it 3? PSU already. That is if you want to stay with it. I would recommend the HX1200i, but due to my experiences and yours I would go with Enermax or EVGA. The last Enermax I had (DXX Galaxy 1kW) served me well for 12 years before it kicked the bucket and if I hadn't switched to Corsair for this build I would have stuck with them, but I got sold on the PSU for certain things it offered that Enermax didn't. Keep updates coming on how you get along.

*grabs some popcorn*

As I posted in some observations, cranking up fans on everything resolved issues with the red LED coming on and or the PSU refusing to power up for a while (till the machine cooled enough).

air flow in from front to rear/top exhaust seems to be the best bet

Still trying to Express RMA my (3rd) dud PSU. Customer support appear to have gone into Radio silence. I know they have just changed support system but is it really that difficult to tell me what is going on?

Really poor service from a company that has (had?) a great reputation.

Well then, at least I know the stuff that was supposed to be worked on has returned to 'business as usual' around Corsair. Maybe I should move up the reveal date of what went down with me and them. Because unfortunately one thing that started my whole mess was being lied to. What you guys think? Should I just go for it then file in court for the rest of what was agreed to?

And "had" is the right term I do believe. You could also go with "legendary" because as of now, it is a legend told only around camp fires and in dusty server archive volumes.

• Corsair Employee

Hello everyone,

As an update before day's end here, I spoke with the PSU product manager and our tech support team. They have a solution for those affected by this issue, so if you have an AX860i that has these issues, please create a ticket or call tech support and let them know, explicitly, that it is concerning the AX860i. I've been assured that there is solution ready for you.

Again, I apologize for delays and any inconvenience you may have experienced. That's not at all the experience we want you to have. I urge you to contact our technical support team to have it resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Again, I apologize for delays and any inconvenience you may have experienced. That's not at all the experience we want you to have. I urge you to contact our technical support team to have it resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Kevin,

If this is not the experience you want people to have you need to mean it. And not revert back to the, well I was going to say the way it was before but in truth that hasn't really seemed to change from what I have seen.

You guys want to call me a PITA, you are welcome to, but know that I will continue to hold you, Corsair, responsible for ALL the issues caused by you, be it software or hardware. While you may not know me, you have probably heard of some stuff at the water cooler that happened within the last few months. And regardless of the little poll I put on the Software subforum, I will be going public soon about what happened because guess what? YOU GUYS CAN'T SEEM TO HELP BUT LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. Feel free to ask around the office about what I am referring but understand that time is short and there is only one right way to stop this. Honor. The. Agreement. Just. As. I. Honored. My. End. That is all. Because if it gets to that point I will be forced to require Corsair handle the factory warranty for a CPU, M.2 drive and a motherboard.

I become less and less amused as the days go on, what with all the issues people are still having and the stunning lack of disrespect you have shown the community.

• Corsair Employee
Kevin,

If this is not the experience you want people to have you need to mean it. And not revert back to the, well I was going to say the way it was before but in truth that hasn't really seemed to change from what I have seen.

You guys want to call me a PITA, you are welcome to, but know that I will continue to hold you, Corsair, responsible for ALL the issues caused by you, be it software or hardware. While you may not know me, you have probably heard of some stuff at the water cooler that happened within the last few months. And regardless of the little poll I put on the Software subforum, I will be going public soon about what happened because guess what? YOU GUYS CAN'T SEEM TO HELP BUT LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. Feel free to ask around the office about what I am referring but understand that time is short and there is only one right way to stop this. Honor. The. Agreement. Just. As. I. Honored. My. End. That is all. Because if it gets to that point I will be forced to require Corsair handle the factory warranty for a CPU, M.2 drive and a motherboard.

I become less and less amused as the days go on, what with all the issues people are still having and the stunning lack of disrespect you have shown the community.

Hi Waukeen,

Can you PM me details of what's been going on so I can be of better assistance? Contrary to what you may believe, I haven't heard anything of the issues you mentioned. I can't speak for other individuals, but I, personally, and the company as a whole, want to make sure we're doing everything we can to uphold our side to ensure you're satisfied with our products. I apologize for the issues you've been dealing with. This may sound trite or contrived, but I can empathize with what you're feeling when it comes to issues that seem like no resolution will be found. I'll do what I can, to the best of my ability, to help you reach a suitable resolution. That being said, I want to thank you for being as patient as you clearly have been.

I have the misfortune of having the post boot loop, random crashes for the last seven months. Rma'd motherboard, and have rebuilt my system many times now. Will be on the phone Monday morning it just crashed yet again, will see what they will say. Oh and I have started a ticket here as well. Edited by Zone
updates

I have the misfortune of having the post boot loop,

Hi Zone,

I noticed you have edited your post. As you have raised a ticket you should get a response but they are very very slow in responding.

I haven't seen any public announcment from Corsair about the issue with this PSU but for me they are replacing it.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Hi all, please see this post if you've experienced issues with the AX860i:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188700

Just wondering: have you identified the exact cause and reason of these random shutdown issues, which have happened on the AX860i (and the AX760i)? Or you're still in the process of understanding it?

Considering the description of the behavior, it looks like something not so easy to troubleshoot - it's not so easy to replicate, as taking the cables off and back on seems to remove the error (at least for some time). Doesn't look like a faulty cap or bad component from what I'd understand...

So I'm quite curious, if/when the root cause has been found, what was really behind this? Maybe some weird DSP feedback behavior which, when unlucky, would go in a resonance/diverging loop?

Hi guys,

Good news and very good customer service, I am impressed with the help I have had from this forum and Corsair, Many thanks also to Technobeard for your advice. Was good to see Terry Pratchett has helped you in your outlook on life.

Below is the email I have just received from Corsair.

Jul 12, 10:13 PDT

Hello,

I am sorry for the experience you have had with the AX860i. We will be replacing your unit with an upgrade to the HX1000i (CP-9020074). We will also be providing you a prepaid label to send back your unit as well.

Before we can proceed, We will need you to provide and verify your shipping address to proceed with an RMA.

Ok update, cannot afford express replacement, corsair want me to pay for the replacement psu before they send it out. The replacement of the psu in the UK is about 200 pounds, add to that the postage , well you get the drift. Anyway will be going dark for the next week as this is the only pc I have and they want this AX860i before they send the replacement out.

Hi guys, I can now say that my problem is now sorted, I received my replacement PSU and is now in the case with no problems so far. Again many thanks to Corsair and all of the guys here on the forum for the help and customer service was brilliant and restored my faith in your Corsair products. (other than dhl rubbish) I just wish you told your dealers about the problems with the AX860i.

Edited by Zone

• Corsair Employee
Just wondering: have you identified the exact cause and reason of these random shutdown issues, which have happened on the AX860i (and the AX760i)? Or you're still in the process of understanding it?

Considering the description of the behavior, it looks like something not so easy to troubleshoot - it's not so easy to replicate, as taking the cables off and back on seems to remove the error (at least for some time). Doesn't look like a faulty cap or bad component from what I'd understand...

So I'm quite curious, if/when the root cause has been found, what was really behind this? Maybe some weird DSP feedback behavior which, when unlucky, would go in a resonance/diverging loop?

Hi NMD,

There are two parts to this. The base case for the issue stems from how much pressure is applied to the connections on the modular cable PCB on the PSU, whether that’s when the connectors are being plugged/unplugged or how tightly they’re being tied together for cable management. Essentially, if enough pressure is applied, it can cause the PCB to flex, which leads to the second part of the issue. In some situations, the flex can cause a surface mount ceramic capacitor (MLCC) solder joint to come undone. This means that if the PCB is not physically strained causing it to flex, the capacitor makes contact and works exactly as intended, which is the vast majority of units. But if there is excessive thermal buildup AND the capacitor is flexed off the solder joint due to physical pressure, the issue may present itself as intermittent reboots and/or shutdowns. This intermittent scenario makes it difficult to reproduce or narrow the issue down. However, because some folks are experiencing this issue with the PSU, we want to rectify it, no pun intended. This is also why there are many, many AX860i units out in the wild that work without issue.