Corsair Community

Really slow Windows boot up since buying K70 & M65

markob53

I have just got the K70 and I am having the same issue when I boot the computer from cold I get a message that no keyboard is detected and then it boots into windows and all is fine. I have tried all the things that have been mentioned with no luck.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also having issues getting into the BIOS with the keyboard on the BIOS setting. I always have to use my old keyboard if I want to make BIOS changes.

Update: Seems that McAfee Total Protection 2015 has something to do with it. My machine booted fine until the keyboard initialized the driver, did the firmware update and rebooted. If I totally remove McAfee Total Protection it boots fine, no more 2 minute boot times from Welcome screen to desktop. Once I reinstall it, I come back to having the same slow boot times. I checked my event logs and it looks like something is stopping the McAfee services, I'm not sure what is stopping them though. This would explain the slow down. If I can pinpoint what service is stopping the McAfee services then maybe I can prevent to slow boot times. To simply remove my firewall and antivirus to use a keyboard is not an answer. Any ideas?

Edited by DarkAcid

• 4 weeks later...
Same problem here...I bought K70 RGB a week ago. For 4 days the keyboard was working great, no slower boot. Then there was "keyboard malfunction" error in CUE and the trouble started. Sometimes the PC was stuck at the ASUS logo, sometimes it wasn't. Yesterday I updated BIOS. Still the same. Tried to enable Full Initialization, enable Legacy support. Connected the keyboard to one USB2, two USB2, one USB3, even two USB3. Sometimes the PC starts normal, sometimes it says that "no keyboard found". My MB is Asus H97-Pro. Everything up-to-date.

I have found a temporary work round that suits me until this fiasco is sorted. Not bothered about moving/flashing LED's at the moment, so I simply install the CUE software, set a static lighting scheme and save it as default profile TO THE KEYBOARD.

Then I uninstall the CUE software, or in my case, I restore my disk from a clone I made before I installed CUE.

When I power off or reboot I have the static LED scheme on my K70 RGB but I don't get the BOOT/POST freeze any more.

I know that this isn't suitable for everyone, but I am prepared to put up with it for now.

Of course, you cant use macros etc without the CUE software installed either!

FWIW my keyboard is connected via the single USB 3.0 plug.

Where is the firmware update that was said to be in testing phase weeks ago?

We have been having this problem for months now, and by now it feels like this will never be resolved...

James posted an update about all the current "major" issues in this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=137940

Here's the piece of post that talks about the slow boot up:

3.) Long POST process in BIOS: This issue is actually related to how certain BIOS in a small group of motherboards have a difficult time communicating with the keyboard in POST. To be frank, the USB enumeration from the keyboard is too quick for some BIOS to properly receive and hence ends up hanging the BIOS for a prolonged (2-3 mins) at a time. This doesn’t affect all BIOS either but it is aggravating for those who experience it. The temporary workaround you can use is to toggle the button on top of the keyboard to change the polling rate from 1/2/4/8 to BIOS and then change it back afterwards. The long term solution is that we may implement some type of delay for the keyboard to be registered to bypass those systems that have this BIOS issue. We’re also working with some of the motherboard manufacturers to resolve it through a BIOS update too.

Asus Maximus VII Hero (BIOS version 2201) also has this issue.

Intermittent slow BIOS boot times of 2/3 minutes (but always eventually boots the OS). Tried all combinations of USB ports, BIOS updates, driver updates etc and still no joy.

It's a real shame such a nice product has been plagued with so many problems since release.

Is there an ETA on when the firmware fix will be available?

Can you confirm the board listed above is on the fix list?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried with the very latest bios for my Maximus Hero VII and it still does it. It seems to only do it when i reboot (not everytime but often). I don't think i've seen it do it from a fresh power on, sometimes it hangs for a very long time, maybe a couple of minutes, saw someone posted this on the ROG forums.

Starting with Z97 and moving forward Intel has removed the EHCI controller so all connected USB devices, both USB 2.0 and 3.0, go through the xHCI controller. This controller can be set to EHCI compatibility mode at the expense of all USB ports operating at USB 2.0 speeds. The proper fix is to contact the manufacturer of the affected USB device and request updated firmware to bring the device into compliance with this new standard.

There we go Corsair, he told you what the problem is ;):

• Corsair Employee
I tried with the very latest bios for my Maximus Hero VII and it still does it. It seems to only do it when i reboot (not everytime but often). I don't think i've seen it do it from a fresh power on, sometimes it hangs for a very long time, maybe a couple of minutes, saw someone posted this on the ROG forums.

This can potentially be one of the causes but it is not the sole reason. This is because not all Z97 motherboards have this issue.

This can potentially be one of the causes but it is not the sole reason. This is because not all Z97 motherboards have this issue.

Someone else in another thread said when he disabled Legacy USB support and XHCI Mode from 'smart auto' to 'auto' that it stopped all hangs, i've had no hangs after doing a few test reboots so maybe there's something in it.

• 4 weeks later...
Someone else in another thread said when he disabled Legacy USB support and XHCI Mode from 'smart auto' to 'auto' that it stopped all hangs, i've had no hangs after doing a few test reboots so maybe there's something in it.

Where did you change this?

The delay is windows attempting to detect an unknown device during boot. It could be a bad disk drive it could be an unconfigured device. if you wanna rule out a bad disk unplug all your drives but the OS drive(or drives in a raid 0 set)

The other thing is make sure you dont have your optical drive plugged into a third party 6gb sata III port (asmedia for example) often they are disk only ports and will cause issues.

But I suspect the source for alot of issues some of you guys have stems from you guys not having your motherboard drivers installed.

The solution is you guys downloading your motherboard usb drivers and if youre on intel; intel chipset and management interface drivers and ensuring theyre installed*. as well as the third party asmedia/etron/via usb3 drivers. Find your motherboard make and model (use cpuz) type it into google go to the support page for it select your operating system and install the relevant drivers.

* how to ensure intel drivers install properly on intel system

(note you dont have to do this unless it seems like things arent being installed, ie you hit installed and within 5 seconds it says its installed the chipset drivers, it takes longer and you see a list of items being installed in realtime along with screen flashing during the pcie bus updates it installs)

just dl the folders unzip them, move the unzipped folders into the root menu of C drive and rename each folder to what they are ie USB3, Chip, MEI and substitute that file name in place of what shown in how to

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310201

if you've built your computer and have no idea what a motherboard support site is, and didnt use the included drivers disc(and installing everything) then you dont them installed

your System Devices in device manager should look something like this if youre on an intel system

http://i.imgur.com/4GJWUbp.png

http://i.imgur.com/W9sRzVv.png

do you guys need a how to video?

• 1 month later...

Starting with Z97 and moving forward Intel has removed the EHCI controller so all connected USB devices, both USB 2.0 and 3.0, go through the xHCI controller. This controller can be set to EHCI compatibility mode at the expense of all USB ports operating at USB 2.0 speeds. The proper fix is to contact the manufacturer of the affected USB device and request updated firmware to bring the device into compliance with this new standard.

This is the issue with my K65 RGB and VII Ranger mobo. It was solved by turning the XHCI mode to auto, which isn't optimal since this disables USB 3.0 until the Windows USB drivers load up. Why hasn't this been fixed yet, since the source of the problem is known? I'm very happy with the hardware of the keyboard, but the software is just terrible.

Edited by hostige

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having HUGE problems with this keyboard, which is a real shame, because it's lovely to use... when I can get Windows to work with it.

Same issues as above. Enormous boot and restart delay, and I suspect it is a culprit in me needing to reformat twice today due to corrupted Windows files - VyprVPN wouldn't load; C++ Redist packs wouldn't install; Acronis True Image wouldn't install - all coming up with "unable to find the file location" errors, and all ONLY after installing CUE.

• Corsair Employee
I'm also having HUGE problems with this keyboard, which is a real shame, because it's lovely to use... when I can get Windows to work with it.

Same issues as above. Enormous boot and restart delay, and I suspect it is a culprit in me needing to reformat twice today due to corrupted Windows files - VyprVPN wouldn't load; C++ Redist packs wouldn't install; Acronis True Image wouldn't install - all coming up with "unable to find the file location" errors, and all ONLY after installing CUE.

Odd you're getting these issues after installing CUE. There shouldn't be reason why it affects those applications since CUE doesn't have anything to do with them.

Odd you're getting these issues after installing CUE. There shouldn't be reason why it affects those applications since CUE doesn't have anything to do with them.

I couldn't tell you why, however doing a clean reformat with the K70 RGB plugged in (single USB 3) caused continuous hangs and errors during the installation process. I'm onto my second Windows 8.1 installation, after having tried installing Win7 twice beforehand with the K70 equipped.

OS were loaded on different USB drives during the process, to remove that as a factor. SSD being installed to is less than a month old, too, and hasn't given me any issues before CUE and the K70 RGB.

Coincidentally, I'm also running an ASUS motherboard:

CPU: Intel i5 4670k

Mobo: ASUS Z87-C

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb (1866)

GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (500g)

HDD: WD Black 1TB (unplugged during OS install)

HDD: WD Green 3TB (unplugged during OS install)

PSU: Corsair HX650

• 1 month later...

Hello,

today I installed K70 RGB and had problems with boot up delay and keyboard not working after start (could not enter bios), so I restarted and booted directly to bios, when I changed the polling rate, keyboard started working in bios and did not stop regardless of switch position. I changed USB initialization from partial to full and now everything is okay.

I have keyboard plugged into USB 3.0 port.

My HW can be found in my profile details and I am using latest available bios, drivers and keyobard firmware (1.20).

UPDATE: I also had to disable Intel xHCI.

UPDATE2: Ok, at the end it seems, that whole problem was with Intel xHCI so I disabled it completely and even changed usb initialization back to partial and now the boot time is ok, keyboard is working all the time and keyboard is not slowed down until all startup things in windows are loaded up.

UPDATE3: I had to turn on the Intel xHCI, because my DAC connected through USB didn't work properly (same problem occured with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0). And now keyboard sometimes works ok at start and sometimes boot time is longer and keyboard looks dead during bios load time.

Edited by Rhosta

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Did anyone ever find a fix for this, short of disabling Intel xHCI in BIOS (which I DO NOT want to do since it causes stability issues)? I had an Asus P8Z77- V PRO motherboard with the z77 chipset and had no issues whatsoever with my Corsair RGB K90 keyboard (latest firmware and software) with boot delays or getting into the BIOS. But since upgrading to an Asus Sabertooth z87 motherboard with latest BIOS I get terrible boot delays and can't access my BIOS 90% of the time. It's INCREDIBLY annoying that I now have to use another USB keyboard just to get into my BIOS. Why wasn't this issue fixed in a firmware update? Is there a workaround? I tried all solutions in this topic and the only one that works is disabling Intel xHCI. Not acceptable.

So, I have the same problem with very slow boot up and down. Motherboard GA-Z97X-UD5H. My Keyboard is the K70 RGB.

Really, guys: This is a shame!

When can I aspect a fix out? If I had known that I would have never bought the keyboard!

I am having a similar issue with my computer booting slowly. The Gigabyte splash screen moves quickly and it boots to Windows fast, but while Windows 10 is on the desktop screen all response is slowed until it fully boots. This is after a restart or fresh power on cycle. Sleep has no ill effect. Not sure if it is CUE software loading at boot, but that seems to be when it happened, after I installed CUE. Windows reports that CUE has a high impact on start-up, when looking at things to disable during start-up.

• 3 weeks later...
Success! In the BIOS of my Asus Sabertooth z87, I set both "USB Legacy Support" & "Intel xHCI mode" to "Auto" and disabled "EHCI Hand-off" and now my computer boots normally with my RGB K95 and the keyboard no longer gets locked out before Windows is loaded. You also might want to disable "Fast Boot" though it appears that the "EHCI Hand-off" was the culprit all along on my system. Here's a BIOS screen capture of my now working config:

161029145238.BMP