Corsair Community

First time overclocking, what do you think?

I used Zotac’s Firestorm software to overclock. My pump speed was set to constant 65%. My spec is in my profile.

Initially I tried the OC scanner and got 30MHz GPU clock/1875MHz boost.

Then I went manual.

I started with the memory and got it up to 1500MHz, going up around 100MHz at a time. At 1600 MHz there were some artifacts in Unigine’s Heaven. I went back down to 1500MHz and it was stable. Heaven gave a mark of 4846 and 4852 on test and re-test. Superposition gave 4402 and 4402 on re-test.

I then went onto the GPU clock (with mem boost put back to zero), jumping in at 50 MHz clock. At 100 I got minor artifacting on Heaven but Superposition was fine, with scores of 4664 and 4271 respectively. I put it at 80MHz clock and got a minor artifact in Heaven, Superposition was fine and the scores were 4625 and 4246 – so only a small drop in score for a more or less stable GPU OC.

Then I combined them. Firstly I dropped the GPU clock from 80 to 50 and memory from 1500 to 1200 (I understand it is better to reduce when you are combining them rather than when testing each in isolation).

My results were –

GPU 50 Mem 1200 – 4816 Heaven / 4477 Superposition

GPU 60 Mem 1250 – 4835 Heaven / 4495 Superposition

GPU 65 Mem 1300 – 4842 Heaven / 4507 Superposition

GPU 70 Mem 1400 – 4875 Heaven / 4529 Superposition

GPU 75 Mem 1400 – 4877 Heaven / 4538 Superposition

GPU 85 Mem 1450 – 4893 Heaven / 4558 Superposition

GPU 85 Mem 1400 – 4906 Heaven / 4565 Superposition (dialled back memory due to minor artifact)

I then ran Timespy twice and got 12,008 / 12,092, which is apparently in the top 7% for this GPU.

Is the way I approached the overclock alright, and what are the final benchmarks on Heaven/Superposition/Timespy? I don't think there's any point trying to fine-tune anymore is there? Just, sort of, see how I go with games?

Thanks!

That looks about right, that's more or less how i did it too.

Starting with Asus OC scanner and slowly raising memory frequency.

I found that in my case, memory OC had more impact than clock on 3DMark.

For gaming tho, i never run the overclock preset. When i activate it the gain is so negligible... 3 or 4 FPS in AC Odissey.. for 40 - 50W more power draw.

Worth trying for games that will run slow like FS2020. I don't know yet if there will be a visible uplift, if you pardon that little play on words :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
That looks about right, that's more or less how i did it too.

Starting with Asus OC scanner and slowly raising memory frequency.

I found that in my case, memory OC had more impact than clock on 3DMark.

For gaming tho, i never run the overclock preset. When i activate it the gain is so negligible... 3 or 4 FPS in AC Odissey.. for 40 - 50W more power draw.

Worth trying for games that will run slow like FS2020. I don't know yet if there will be a visible uplift, if you pardon that little play on words :p

I take a similar approach. I use the OC scanner utility for my card then tweak from there. That said depending on the game it might not have a noticeable effect on in-game performance. FS2020 for example (since it was mentioned), may actually respond better to a CPU overclock or tweaking system memory settings rather than dumping more power into your graphics card.

For me FS2020 just doesn't take any advantage from overclocking at all.

The CPU is utilized at like 30%, and the GPU is fully loaded, but even switching from base frequencies to OC, the frame time doesn't noticeably change.

But that's a special one, as you said, there's so much data being shuffled about, memory OC may give a little bump in perfs. I'll give it a try after they iron out the game. Still very new.

Looking at HWinfo was very enlightening. Flying in worst case scenario : over Manhattan :p

PCIE bus load increases in spikes as photogrammetry data is downloaded, up to 40% bus load for me, typically 20 tops, averaging at 6%

VRAM is basically filled up and data is exchanged constantly when you turn around.

Looks like FS2020 will be a good candidate for RTX30xx new memory architecture