Corsair Community

AX1000 Rail Distribution Diagram

elgreco

Hi!

I was wondering if there is a Rail distribution diagram for the AX1000.

I am about to install my RTX2080TI and don’t know if I should use one or two pci-e outlets, one cable (with 2 sockets) or two different cables and which pci-e outlet(s) is/are better to be used.

In order to achieve cooler (PSU’s internal components/cables) performance and better -stable- power distribution such a diagram would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by elgreco

• Corsair Employee
So unfortunately we are unable to provide any such diagram but I am able to answer your question regarding how to connect and power your RTX 2080ti. The new RTX cards from Nvidia, and the new GPUs from AMD demand more power from the power supply than the previous generations therefore we suggest you use a one PCIe power cable per connector on your GPU in order to provide the power necessary to your GPU.

So unfortunately we are unable to provide any such diagram but I am able to answer your question regarding how to connect and power your RTX 2080ti. The new RTX cards from Nvidia, and the new GPUs from AMD demand more power from the power supply than the previous generations therefore we suggest you use a one PCIe power cable per connector on your GPU in order to provide the power necessary to your GPU.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Since there is no diagram, please kindly confirm that the best way to connect my Z390 AORUS MASTER (2x 4+4 CPU) and RTX2080ti (2x 8 pin) is to use 4 SEPARATE cables (2x EPS12V + 2x PCIe) utilizing ANY (?) combination of the 6 different PCIe/4+4 outlets of this PSU?!

Or there are specific ports to prefer for the CPU and specific for the GPU?

As a side note/question, it’s a pity that there are only 6x PCIe/4+4CPU connectors available when the “brother” Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w model has 8. Unless this was done for better current “quality”...?!

20190218133021_2801c90e.jpeg

Edited by elgreco

Actually the max power on the 12v rail of the AX1000 is reduced to 83A (and 6 outputs) compared to the 100A (and 8 PCIe outputs) of the “brother” PSU.

In any case, obviously I bought the AX1000 because I like it, still the manual is not as detailed as I would like.

Therefore, I would appreciate it if any of you knows the answers to my questions shown below.

Quote:

Since there is no diagram, please kindly confirm that the best way to connect my Z390 AORUS MASTER (2x 4+4 CPU) and RTX2080ti (2x 8 pin) is to use 4 SEPARATE cables (2x EPS12V + 2x PCIe) utilizing ANY (?) combination of the 6 different PCIe/4+4 outlets of this PSU?!

Or there are specific ports to prefer for the CPU and specific for the GPU?

As a side note/question, it’s a pity that there are only 6x PCIe/4+4CPU connectors available when the “brother” Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w model has 8. Unless this was done for better current “quality”...?!

Why is 8 the magic number? You need 4. You have 2 left over. What would you connect to utilize the other 2/4?

The fact that two PSUs have components from the same OEM does not mean they are identical and re-labeled. Obviously neither company is going to share their proprietary engineering designs. You might find some review out there that does a tear down, but aside from that, the question of 6 vs 8 was probably a cost/spacing analysis and we will never know. At present, the 6 still appears to be 2 more than you need.

It does not matter which 4 of the 6 ports you use. There are no specific GPU or CPU ports and all have the same current tolerance. On lower end PSUs you may still see this, but perhaps an outside review of the product will put your mind at ease.

Thank you for the answer!

My motherboard utilizes 2 of the PCIe outputs for the CPU. I need another 2 for my RTX2080ti. If I add a second rtx2080ti another 2 outputs are gone, so there are no more PCIe power outlets available for the remaining PCIe slot(s) of the motherboard, and a PSU with such quality and price should probably be able to cover this.

In any case, my concerns are focused on the existence or not of preferred outputs to be used for the 2 CPU 12vEPS cables and the 2 PCIe cables for the RTX2080ti, while the rest is just an observation.

Edited by elgreco

No preferred 8 pins slots on this PSU. Usually the ones that do specify (you must use GPU in Slot 1 or 4 - or something similar). You definitely should use 2 separate 8 pins cables for the Ti. Using 1 is just begging for it to prematurely power throttle. Most of these Ti cards can pull 330W right out of the box. If you added a second in SLI you would be out 8 pin slots, but then what would be left to add? Anything beyond that and 1000W isn't going to cut it anyway.

No preferred 8 pins slots on this PSU. Usually the ones that do specify (you must use GPU in Slot 1 or 4 - or something similar). You definitely should use 2 separate 8 pins cables for the Ti. Using 1 is just begging for it to prematurely power throttle. Most of these Ti cards can pull 330W right out of the box. If you added a second in SLI you would be out 8 pin slots, but then what would be left to add? Anything beyond that and 1000W isn't going to cut it anyway.

Point taken, thank you!

My HX1000i has abundant EPS12V and PCIe cables for power pig video cards

Compared to the older AX1000, my PSU has 2 more 8-pin connectors for motherboards and PCIe cables.

Actually HX1000i was released in 2014 while the AX1000 Titanium on 2019!

It does sit in a funny position within the families. When I first saw the release, I was very excited we were getting 1000W Titanium, hopefully similar to the 1600i. Then all the AX860i/1200i could retire. But it is not an "i" PSU and seems like steps were taken to keep the cost at a very specific level. Seems logical dropping 2x8 pin ports and the respective cables might be a part of that. So it's not an i, but it is still 1000W of clean, reliable power. I guess if you really need 8+ x 8 pin, that's what those enormous AX1500i/1600i units are for. Edited by c-attack

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for the answer!

My motherboard utilizes 2 of the PCIe outputs for the CPU. I need another 2 for my RTX2080ti. If I add a second rtx2080ti another 2 outputs are gone, so there are no more PCIe power outlets available for the remaining PCIe slot(s) of the motherboard, and a PSU with such quality and price should probably be able to cover this.

In any case, my concerns are focused on the existence or not of preferred outputs to be used for the 2 CPU 12vEPS cables and the 2 PCIe cables for the RTX2080ti, while the rest is just an observation.

If you are ever adding more devices to your system that require additional PCIe power connections beyond what has been discussed then it would be necessary to upgrade to a much higher wattage PSU as you would be exceeding the limits of the AX1000 at that point anyway.

If you are ever adding more devices to your system that require additional PCIe power connections beyond what has been discussed then it would be necessary to upgrade to a much higher wattage PSU as you would be exceeding the limits of the AX1000 at that point anyway.

You are absolutely right! I even used a components wattage calculator to verify this.

I was just wondering...

1. It seems that another difference, compared to the “brother” PSU, is the words orientation over the outlets, which implies to install it with the fan facing down. This is what I would do either way in my obsidian 1000d case so that it draws fresh cold air from the bottom inlet of my case, and will not use the zero rpm mode at all to avoid hot air being trapped in the PSU when the fan is not rotating.

Is my approach correct?

2. Ok, we discussed that there are NO PREFERRED outlets to use for the CPU/GPU power cables, BUT...

Since this is a single rail PSU, theoretically (I am not going to do it!), IF my PCIe cables were “strong” enough, I should be able to draw the entire GPU power from one outlet.

Would this assumption be correct (in theory only) since this is not a multi rail PSU or am I missing something?

Edited by elgreco

My RX 480 was sold as 150W TDP but monitoring the card shows it can be as high as 225W when pushed to the wall gaming. This is why I use Corsair which does not brown out when the video card wants more juice.

The RTX 2080 Ti is more of a power pig and it uses dual 8-pin cables so it needs the extra amps in the PSU. Again, Corsair has enough current to cope.

The overlooked boost feature of the CPU and GPU can increase power demands which is all the more reason for a large capacity PSU.

Me and the OP both have 1000W capacity. The HX1200i is available, if needed, but my HX1000i can handle dual video cards fine.

Edited by Vegan