Corsair Community

Fan continuing to run

RobG

Hello everyone this is my first post so here I go, I recently bought a Cooler master hyper 212. The installation was very simple my question is when installing the cooler master is it suppose to run all the time?

I mean I know it's suppose to cool my CPU but is it suppose to run for a few seconds and turn off and then run again I just wanted to be sure it was working correctly is this normal

Thank you all for any help on this

An air cooler, regardless of brand, should keep its fans moving at all times. It does not have the capability to hold the heat and must continuously disperse it. Check your BIOS fan control settings.

Thank you so much I will do that right now. I was thinking it should keep running

It's set to Standard mode

EDIT:

I also noticed in my BIOS were it says CPU Fan 1 Speed it has N/A, but in a few seconds it will say something like 201 RM and it changes so it comes and goes. The CPU temperature is around 44.0 'C

Edited by RobG

T\

EDIT:

I also noticed in my BIOS were it says CPU Fan 1 Speed it has N/A, but in a few seconds it will say something like 201 RM and it changes so it comes and goes. The CPU temperature is around 44.0 'C

This is problem. It suggests the fan is either losing the tachometer speed signal or perhaps it is in the wrong mode. Those fans should be PWM on the cooler. Make sure your BIOS fan control is set to PWM and not DC. That may cut the voltage and prevent the fan from starting/running. Also, if it uses two fans on a splitter, reverse the two plugs. Take connector 1 and put it on 2, and 2->1. That is the tachometer wire check. Only one fans needs it working (the connector with 4 pins).

It would be pretty stunning for your CPU_FAN header not to be PWM in this day and age, but your specifications are not listed and I have no idea what motherboard you are using. Many CPU headers and can be forced into DC mode with a toggle switch.

I have a Asrock H97m

According to your manual, CPU fan 1 is 4 pin PWM. CPU fan 2 next to it is 3 pin DC. You need to be on CPU FAN 1 and your information suggests you are. This means it may be the tachometer/speed wire problem. Did you swap the two fan connectors on the splitter? If not, do so now.

If you swap and the fans are still stop/starting and the BIOS still reads alternate N/A, low fan speeds, you most likely have a defective fan. You should return it the unit to the vendor or speak with Cooler Master to see if there is a better solution.

There are two fans on the 212. They should connect into a Y-Splitter before then connecting to cpu fan 1. Switch the two end of the Y-splitter.
On this particular Cooler Master hyper 212, you can add two fans but it only comes with one so I'm not sure about a splitter

Yes I've been trying to call their support for the pass two days with no luck. Thanks for everyones efforts to help resolve this issue

Edited by RobG

There is only 1 fan? I guess I need to read the small print on that box. If you have another PWM fan of the same size, it likely can be mounted and work.

Thank you my brother for your time and help much appreciate it. I will see if I can get another fan to replace this one. I have Corsairs HD 120 RGB fans but I don't think those are PWM

Have a great day

Edited by RobG

Yes. The RGB a part is separate and has its own requirements, but the main fan power plug is all you need for that fan to spin.

Thanks so much for the help. I should have bought a cooler from Corsair their support it much better

I'll work on this tonight

Have a great day

Edited by RobG