Corsair Community

H115i 60C idle 100C games

Tegris

I recently bought an h115i mounted it applied thermal paste and turned the pc on just to see the temperatures immidietly jump to 55-60C, while playing games the temperature sometimes reaches 100C after about a minute but sometinmes it only goes up to 80-85C.

I recently bought an h115i mounted it applied thermal paste and turned the pc on just to see the temperatures immidietly jump to 55-60C, while playing games the temperature sometimes reaches 100C after about a minute but sometinmes it only goes up to 80-85C.

Which version of the H115i?

H115i PRO - Asetek pump

H115i Platinum - CoolIt pump

What temps are you reporting and what monitoring tool are you using?

What are the pump coolant temperatures? Typically these should range from room temperature to mid 30's C under high load.

How is the radiator mounted and configured (eg. top / front, intake / exhaust)? Cool air from outside should be pulled through the radiator for optimal cooling.

How many other fans are in your case?

What is your ambient room temperature?

Is the cooler head tight and perfectly flat on the CPU? If not, then did you use the correct standoffs? - recheck your installtion carefully.

For reference, my H115i PRO easily cools my i9-9900K, which is a very hot running chip. CPU temps range from mid-20's C at idle to 80C under extreme load. My pump coolant temperature never exceeds 35C even under extreme load. Radiator config is front mounted (push / pull) as intake. Room temp is typically low 20's C. My iCUE pump & fan profiles are all set to BALANCED.

Edited by Yemble

As mentioned, you need to compare the coolant temperature (H115i Temp) to cpu temperature. This is what differentiates a cooler issue from all the other possibilities. Normal coolant temp should be +4-7C above room temp at idle and perhaps rise 6-10C above that at load. This means most people max out near 40C. If you power on the system and can watch your coolant temp climb upwards at +1C per every few seconds (or whatever), there is a problem.

On extreme pump and fans while rendering in blender for 30min the water temp is 47-50C and the cpu temperatures are 80-90C. The cooler is installed on the front of the case pulling air from the outside. My room ambient is ~25C. In the first few minutes of rendering the temps are reaching 100C but later is drops to 85-90C.

You probably have some type of flow restriction preventing the coolant from getting around in a timely manner. +25C over ambient is out of bounds for coolant temp.

Unfortunately, this is usually a terminal condition and not something you can fix. Other key signs are the coolant temp goes up very quickly, but takes 30-60 minutes (if not more) for the temperature to come back to where it started. Also, you may feel a strong temperature difference between the two tubes. A normal drop in temperature after passing through the radiator is 1-2C. If you can clearly tell one tube is hot and the other cool, something is wrong. You need to move toward replacement or if you are still in the warranty period contact Corsair through the Ticket System to begin the RMA process.

Depending on the nature of the blockage (or whatever it is), you might be able to get some temporary relief by tapping hoses, the pump cap (gently), or tilting the case back and forth. Sometimes the fluid pressure shifts and dislodges the build up. However, this is only temporary the since there is no were for that stuff to go, it will come back around at some point and the problem reoccurs. In the extreme, you can take the unit out and shake it, but there is nothing overly scientific about it. Sometimes you get lucky. Other times not.

How were you planning on adding distilled water to the cooler?

Coolers are not usually filled until to the last possible milliliter and it is not necessary for performance. There is always going to be some measure of air in the system and some evaporation over time. However, coolant loss should not affect performance until it drops substantially.

There is no fill port, sealing mechanism, or way to drain to the cooler without ripping/cutting it up and damaging it. It is not supposed to be opened. While theoretically possible to put it back together for those with experience and understanding of what you have now done, you are asking me if you need distilled water or coolant which precludes the first being true.

My advice is you never put that cooler back on any motherboard/CPU combination you do not wish to damage.