View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 PM

POST ID # = 108919
ardavis Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
That PSU should be sufficient, but let us see how the modules test with your other MB!
Well, it would seem the memory modules worked fine in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

Rig: AMD Athlon XP 2500+; Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCBv.2.0; Bios v.C1007; Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL

I configured everything to spec: Timings: 2-3-2-6; Vdimm: 2.7V; Populate slots 1&3

There was a little weirdness with the mobo at first. Even though I set the CPU fequency to 100MHz and the memory timing to 200% (=>200MHz), memtest reported the memory running at 198MHz?! So I overclocked just a bit setting the CPU freq. to 102MHz (yielding a memory frequency of 204MHz -- DDR408) and ran my tests at this setting.

Memtest86+ test#5 ran without problems. And the whole memtest "default" testing gamut ran 3 passes without any errors (~2hrs worth).

I'm glad my Corsair memory works to spec. But this is one of those mobo issues where the manufacture is quick to point out that "the mem controller for the A64 is on the CPU... so it's not a mobo issue". I guess I just have to accept I'm going to be running 2-3-3-6 timings in my MSI K8T Neo FIS2R?

*edit*
Useful link at MSI regarding this issue: Comptabile Memory for the Kt8 neo in the futre?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas
*snip*The problem is that AMD64's have very low latency in accessing the memory, most sticks from stick-solderers can't handle it....no matter what timings they say the stick has....
If the stick has a PCB that disorts the signal on low latency, you are in trouble...it's as simple as that.....
They probably work in a P4 or AMD32 just fine as the memory controller for those is a separate chip...so they are more relaxed....*snip*
This jives well with the test I ran last night... the memory works fine at its specified timings in the AMD32, but can't quite get there for the AMD64.

Last edited by ardavis; 03-05-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional info from MSI support forum