Corsair Community

H150i PRO RGB Change fans

andreas443

For you I have the Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler and I want to change the fans to get better performance

I say I put them is compatible; https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Fans/Magnetic-Levitation-Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050039-WW#tab-overview

and I will connect them to the water cooler over or I have to put them in the motherboard?

Thanks

Any PWM fan will work from the H150i’s controller. However, you are replacing your current fan with the exact same fan you have, only with a small bump to maximum speed. The only theoretical gain is if you run them at 2000+ rpm and the reality is most people will not see increased cooling performance compared to a more moderate 1400-1500 rpm.

Any PWM fan will work from the H150i’s controller. However, you are replacing your current fan with the exact same fan you have, only with a small bump to maximum speed. The only theoretical gain is if you run them at 2000+ rpm and the reality is most people will not see increased cooling performance compared to a more moderate 1400-1500 rpm.

Thank you very much could you suggest me which fans I could put in order to see differences in temperatures?

I have 46 celsius with the 8700k on idle

Edited by andreas443

Fan are not going to have much impact for idle temperature. The CPU is outputting a tiny wattage and the end temperature will be entirely dependent on 1) your room/case temperature; and 2) your Vcore and whatever your CPU is doing in that moment.

Frequent blips up to 45C are pretty normal with a 8700K and it never just sits idle. However, if the baseline is 45C+ and the spikes are higher, then there may be some things to look at.

1) Coolant temperature (H150i Temp). This is typically 4-6C above your room temperature at idle or pretty much the same as the internal case temperature. Coolant temp is also the minimum CPU temperature. Even in the warmth of Summer, you probably should not be above the low 30s at rest. If your H150i Temp is 45C, we need to look closer at what's going on.

2) Coolant temperature is low (20s) but CPU temp is still steady in the mid 40s -> Make sure you are not actually at load. I've seen this before another program (Aura, Mystic Light, Fusion) gets stuck and runs at 10-13% load keeping temps up. Check in the task manager. Also, running the Windows "High performance" power plan will keep your CPU up time at maximum. That in combination with disabled BIOS/Intel level power saving features can do the same thing. The last thing could be a contact issue between the CPU block and the processor. It only takes a micro sized gap to create higher temps. This is usually characterized by spiky idle temperatures with extreme jumps on any kind of load. Playing games or running a stress test would be very difficult in this condition.

The coolant temperature is 37C and the cpu core temps are just slightly above — exactly as expected. It’s not a contact issue. However, 37C is pretty warm for idle unless your room temp is 30C or so.

Can you explain how the case is set up? H150i front intake, top exhaust, etc. Other fans? Dust filter on the radiator? Your system is running at maximum, so either it can’t expel its own heat because something is physically preventing it or it can’t be any lower because 37C is the case ambient temperature.

Edited by c-attack

The coolant temperature is 37C and the cpu core temps are just slightly above — exactly as expected. It’s not a contact issue. However, 37C is pretty warm for idle unless your room temp is 30C or so.

Can you explain how the case is set up? H150i front intake, top exhaust, etc. Other fans? Dust filter on the radiator? Your system is running at maximum, so either it can’t expel its own heat because something is physically preventing it or it can’t be any lower because 37C is the case ambient temperature.

Thank you very much in the room I do not have air conditioning and boils the place I will definitely have 30C

Now let's say I buy the fans I wrote above and I put them to work 2400rpm

and let's say I do not mind the noise I will get better results?

No, at 1000/2000/3000/4000 rpm it’s all going to be the same and internal case temperature is the limitation. You can’t cool anything below the ambient temperature. If there are no other factors, you can probably turn the fans down to 900-1000 and the temp won’t go up. Make sure you use the coolant temperature (H150i Temp) to measure change. The cores never sit still and are too dynamic for idle measurement, beyond an average over time. You are not alone. Huge spike in forum questions about this the last two weeks as Europe slowly boils. All you can is cool the room, which of course is the same problem with the case — you can’t.

The only other thing you can do is make sure their aren’t any contributing factors. Having the case squeezed under a desk, in the corner, restrictive dust filters on the radiator all can add to the coolant temp. There may be case specific issues as well, but nothing you can change about that. It’s probably loud in this state and you should be able to reduce fan speed without penalty. However, if you have the house fans blasting, the PC may not be a real noise issue.