Corsair Community

AX1200i Questions

sunde

Hi guys,

Long time corsair customer, first time poster. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with, many thanks in advance.

1. Would I be able to use the Type 4 CPU cable from a HX1200 with an AX1200i PSU?

2. If yes, would there be any performance loss in doing so?

3. Similarly, is there any performance loss associated with not using the digital link cables + software to monitor (and tweak?) the PSU?

4. Lastly, this question is more for a corsair employee: I've owned 4-5 high end corsair PSU's (along with all corsair peripherals) and I've never had a problem with any corsair products. Even if I had, being in Australia the warranty/RMA process seems very difficult. I had a work trip to PNG and returned last month but came home to discover the box containing just about all my cables gone/thrown away/nobody knows... Is there any chance Corsair would send me a new set of cables for the AX1200i? I have purchase proof and warranty information... Even if I could afford a new set of cables locally, the only supplier in my city can't give me an ETA, and there is not a single supplier for the digital link usb connector... I managed to scrounge together a few cables and I'm hoping I didn't make any mistakes but I'm mainly missing the ax1200i CPU cable and the link connector. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Brendan

Hey, check the link below. I am inclined to say no? the AX1200i, according to the chart, uses a Type3 24-pin ATX cable like the HXi while the HX1200 uses a Type4 24-pin ATX cable like the AX1600i.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

However, with that said, see this:

ce6426be693927e681cf2e4a6d691fac.png

d19b436d0e018ef1a50f38364886478b.png

The pin out is the same... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable and wise than I can clarify. I know the primary difference between Type 3 and Type 4 PSU cables are the in-line capacitors... I don't know what/how this works effectually.

Edit: I just bought a Type3 AX1200/AXi cable for use with my HX1000i. Haven't tried it yet, but can't think of a reason it won't work.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify I have the AX1200i ATX 24pin cable but only a type 4 CPU cable from the HX1200. I know there are different generations of cables within the types as well (type 4 gen1/2/3 etc.) but I'm not sure how to check this or if it matters.

I have had a look at Corsair's compatibility page and according to that I would say they aren't compatible but when I google the same question I find people saying all type 3 and 4 cables except the ATX are interchangeable - this is not the case at all if you go by Corsair's own compatibility page you linked above.

So I don't know what to believe, if they are indeed interchangeable why would Corsair have such a misleading page? Either way I'm extremely confused at this point :S

You think so? If that is the case, do you think there is any performance loss in doing so?

I'm not sure how the capacitors in type 4 cables effect anything, as I understand this is the main difference between type 3 and 4 cables, or what the different generations (type 3, gen 1/2/3/4 etc) mean for the cable/pin-out.

Am I providing enough information with just the cable types I have? I can't see the generation labeled on the cable anywhere so I'm at a loss as to how to identify this.

Even the term "pin-out" is new to me so I'm trying to get as much confirmation as possible.

95684dfb877044c0da361d4e2bc9433c.png

That means "ALL AXI (EXCLUDES AX1600I)" are compatible with Type 4 - 8-pin EPS12V and Type 3 - 8-pin EPS12V. Or am I misreading it?

As far as a performance loss, what is your AX1200i rated at? Gold? Platinum? I would assume you should expect that level of efficiency.

My AX1200i is rated platinum, looking again at the corsair page it seems you're right, I'm not sure how I mis-read it, I was certain the chart said the cables weren't compatible.

I guess that answers that. My other questions were regarding performance loss using non-designated cables, hoping someone can answer this for me.

Many thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Hey there, you'll have no issues using the Type 4 8-pin EPS CPU cable with your AX1200i. The only one you'll need to discern is indeed the 24-pin cable, which you mentioned already having. The inline capacitor helps with ripple suppression and should have an affect on your performance.

In regards to extra cables, unfortunately, you'd want to get the part numbers and find a local retailer for them.

The inline capacitor helps with ripple suppression and should have an affect on your performance.

Is this to say it will have a positive or negative affect on performance? Are type 4 cables better than type 3? I have more type 4 cables available (PCIE, SATA etc.), should I swap these in over the type 3 ones I have that say "AXi 1200 only"?

I guess I should mention I have a very high end power board that supplies clean and stable power to my important electrical devices.

As I understand the AX1200i is a "better" model than the HX1200, but the AX1200i uses type 3 cables (and can be considered a type 3 PSU in terms of cables).

So with the AX1200i being a type 3 PSU whose cables were not released with inline capacitors, will type 4 cables including the capacitors have an affect on something? Hoping for clarification on this, as well as if *not* using the corsair digital link usb connection (don't have it anymore) would incur any performance loss i.e. what can be done fine-tuning wise in corsair link to your PSU to increase performance? anything? or is it just monitoring?

• Corsair Employee

Sorry, I meant to say that it should not have an effect on your performance at all, you'll have no different with Type 3 or Type 4. Sorry for the confusion, was a typo.

Likewise with the Link connection, it's for mainly monitoring and control of the fans as well as adjusting the overcurrent protection on the 12V rails.

Archived