Corsair Community

X99 + Gigabye GA-X99-UD4

socialwaif

I have an Intel i7-5820K in a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 motherboard. Looking to get new RAM. I was wondering which of the RGB or LED varieties are supported by my mobo/CPU combo. I am using quad-channel memory. And jumping up to a 64GB kit is tempting.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 LED Desktop Memory

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C15 1.35V Desktop Memory

Sadly, when I search in Corsair's store, none of the X99 modules that show up have LEDs:(

Thanks.

There wasn't much in terms of RGB or even LED RAM when the X99 compatibility charts were made. Who knows when those were updated last. However, I certainly do remember some issues specifically with X99 boards and RGB lighting control. There were some obstacles and the X99 platform was the first DDR4 set. I deliberately avoided RGB RAM when I was using that chipset. While things have generally improved along those lines on current platforms, I am not sure if it is completely fluid in terms of performance. I would be a little cautious or at least buy from some place that will honor a memory return if it does not work out. I vote for the Dominators by the way...

There wasn't much in terms of RGB or even LED RAM when the X99 compatibility charts were made. Who knows when those were updated last. However, I certainly do remember some issues specifically with X99 boards and RGB lighting control. There were some obstacles and the X99 platform was the first DDR4 set. I deliberately avoided RGB RAM when I was using that chipset. While things have generally improved along those lines on current platforms, I am not sure if it is completely fluid in terms of performance. I would be a little cautious or at least buy from some place that will honor a memory return if it does not work out. I vote for the Dominators by the way...

Thanks, yeah. Back when I got my current kit, in 2016, LEDs were still the new thing; we had yet to get to full RGB.

Part of why I am looking for a new kit is that my existing modules may have become defective...Ugh, not fun. Figured I may as well look at upgrading them rather than just replacing them.

Luckily, I got through to a knowledgeable person at Corsair on the phone. He was able to allay my fears regarding basic compatibility.

Now comes the hard part of deciding between the two. And in what capacity.:biggrin:

I have rampage 5 extreme, x99, and, yesterday I ordered dominator RGB 3200 c16. I just can hope that it will work. Some people told me that they tried and it worked well. I like dominator, it looks the best, its not full RGB stick, its made of little squares, its so elegant, but thats only my taste! So, good luck my X99 friend :)

I have rampage 5 extreme, x99, and, yesterday I ordered dominator RGB 3200 c16. I just can hope that it will work. Some people told me that they tried and it worked well. I like dominator, it looks the best, its not full RGB stick, its made of little squares, its so elegant, but thats only my taste! So, good luck my X99 friend :)

While I prefer the continuous light bar look of the Vengeance RGB PRO to he subdued look of the Dominators, I went with the Dominators anyways. They seemed to be better quality. And I had been lusting after owning a set of Dominators for awhile now.

Nothing really against the Vengeance ones. The set of them I had served me well. But I had a recent headache and a bit of trouble with my existing kit and XMP.

Please let us know how it worked out. I have MSI X99 Godlike Gaming Carbon and also want this memory but put off not knowing if it will work or not.

Will do. Hoping the arrive early enough tomorrow to install them.:laughing:

It arrived today and was just installed. My biggest issue was that I had to reboot a few times as one DIMM slot was not being detected. It only saw 3 of the four DIMMs. Leaving me with a lonely 48 GB off RAM rather than the 64 GB I expected. Though it was not too much of a shock; I saw similar behavior only earlier kits.

Loving the lighting on them. I thought it might be too subdued. But no! And OMG, so many lighting mode options. Mind you that the old kit only had a blue LED that was really only capable of being Static or Pulsing.:laughing:

Thank you very much for your reply! I am glad that lights are working but what will you do now when you have only 3 active sticks?! Do you have any trouble when controling RGB ?

Oh sorry, must had been unclear. I had to rearrange the RAM sticks a bit. Like swapping A and B or D for C. But I did manage to get all four DIMMs recognized by the system - after 2-3 reboots etc.

There was one DIMM whose lighting was out of sync at first. It took until I got booted up into Windows and iCUE took over to sync up.

I still need to tweak the lighting a bit. Using a Colour Shift, alternating between purple and blue. The purple is still a bit too pink for my liking - I'd rather a darker, violet like hue.