Corsair Community

HS1 USB Crackling...

SyncError

I've been having trouble with my HS1 USB headset. Whenever I install the Corsair drivers (CD or website), I get audio crackling and high pitch squealing when no sounds are played. The odd thing is that whenever I use the drivers provided by Microsoft/Windows I get no crackling whatsoever. My onboard sound is fine, with and without the drivers. My motherboard has the latest BIOS version. I restored the BIOS to default settings. Tried every USB port. Used compressed air on the inside of the case. Tried everything. I still get crackling and high pitch squealing. I'm starting to think audiodg.exe is the culprit though... I opened task manager and noticed that whenever there's some form of audio being played by a program, like a browser playing a YouTube video or a song playing in Windows Media Player, audiodg.exe increase to around 11mb and the crackling and high pitch squealing stops. But after I close said program, audiodg.exe returns to 10mb and the crackling and high pitch squealing reappears. I've tried performing a fresh install of Windows and installing ONLY the Corsair audio drivers to see if the drivers were conflicting with another program or driver, but the crackling is still present. Windows update hasn't solved the problem either. I tried the headset on my laptop and I get the same exact problem. Once the Corsair drivers are installed, the crackling and high pitch squealing returns. I highly doubt it's the headset itself because the audio is crystal clear with Microsoft's drivers installed. I played around with the headset's settings and noticed that whenever I turn monitoring on the crackling and high pitch squealing is completely gone. When monitoring is on however, my mic becomes ultra sensitive and I can hear everything that's going on around me. As a gamer I use my mic often and I can barely hear what's going on around me while playing because of the noise the mic is picking up, which is odd because the room I'm in is dead silent. So I'm forced to turn monitoring off. It seems like a driver problem. I'd also like to note that the dpc latency is incredibly high (4000µs) whenever a windows sound plays. The latency is normal (~200µs) when an audio stream plays. Any ideas? Is there a driver update planned?

My system specs are in my profile.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I have Dolby Headphone enabled, the crackling is worse and that's what causes the dcp latency spikes. With it off, I still get crackling but no spikes.

We have exactly the same problem (but usually i have this problem in game).

We also have completly different system except for the OS. I'm curious to know if on windows xp the problem persist (please, if you can, try on it).

I've described my problem in the thread called dpc latency problem.There is also another user on the fourm that says that he solved the problem using usb dedicated card. You can read the thread here. Today I've bought an usb 3.0 card, I'll test it with the headset in the next days and let you know if it works

It must have something to do with that 'monitoring' feature. With it on my sound quality is perfect. No crackling. Some minor squealing while browsing through folders. The only problem with having monitoring enabled is I can't use my mic because it's too sensitive and I can hear my voice echo (and no, I don't have any effects enabled).

I haven't tried the headset on XP yet. I think I might though. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked flawlessly; XP uses a different audio engine. No audiodg.

I've tested the headset with the usb 3.0 card for a lot of time in this days and I haven't any audio problems, but the dpc latency remains, so the drivers aren't so good but they don't seems to affect the performance of pc.

I hope it's the final solution for me. If I will have problems again I let you know

Yes, the crackling has gone, or at least for the moment this did not appear.

Obviously this is not a guaranteed solution.

My usb 3.0 card is by trascend with the common nec controller. I've bought it in a local shop. The one on the trascend website seems little different in design but all the usb 3.0 should be the same becouse (if i'm not wrong) the only usb 3.0 controller is by nec.

You can also buy a cheaper usb 2.0 card, for example the one described in the thread linked above

Archived