Corsair Community

RGB Question

rerror

Hello,

So I ordered 2 single corsair LL series ll120 rgb 120mm Fans. And I have the nzxt 500i case, getting the corsair h100i RGB platinum CPU cooler, and was looking at getting the Asus prime z390 a atx mobo or the MSI MPG z390 gaming pro carbon atx. I am wanting to replace the 2 stock fans that come in the h500i Case and use the fans that come with the cpu cooler on the cpu cooler. Both are rgb and I was wondering on what I need to do/get in order for all of the fans to work. I already have the case and havnt ordered the mobo or the cpu cooler. But the fans are on the way to my house. I'm sorry if this was confusing for anyone but it is my first time building an rgb pc.

Thank you.

EDIT: The Asus prime mobo has 2 Aura RGB strip headers and the MSI carbon has 2 rgb led connectors, 1x3 pin rainbow led connecotr and 1x3 pin corsair led connector. Idk if that helps but was just saving you some time of google the mobos.

None of the RGB motherboard headers are going to help you with controlling these things. Those can handle additional LED strips or other simple devices, but the LL complex 16 LED fans. You need to use the proper hardware and Corsair software to get the full use out of them.

The H100i Platinum has an internal lighting and fan controller that can manage it's own two fans, but no more. You would still need the proper hardware for the other 2 LL fans and it makes more sense for most people to put all the fans on the same lighting controller. Look at the thread below. There is a lot if stuff in there, but you still need a RGB Lighting Hub and a software interface (Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro). You can buy these individually, but it may be more cost effective to send the 2 single LL120s back and get the triple pack of LL120s that has both items included. 4 fans sounds like you are 1 short of the full case anyway.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

None of the RGB motherboard headers are going to help you with controlling these things. Those can handle additional LED strips or other simple devices, but the LL complex 16 LED fans. You need to use the proper hardware and Corsair software to get the full use out of them.

The H100i Platinum has an internal lighting and fan controller that can manage it's own two fans, but no more. You would still need the proper hardware for the other 2 LL fans and it makes more sense for most people to put all the fans on the same lighting controller. Look at the thread below. There is a lot if stuff in there, but you still need a RGB Lighting Hub and a software interface (Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro). You can buy these individually, but it may be more cost effective to send the 2 single LL120s back and get the triple pack of LL120s that has both items included. 4 fans sounds like you are 1 short of the full case anyway.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

SO I should send the 2 pans back and buy the 3 pack. The 3 pack comes with everything that I will need to set it up and get it working?

That would be my recommendation, but you could also price out the additional cost of a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub for your local area. The RGB hub usually has to come from Corsair. The LNP can be found for less from many vendors. However, this really only makes sense if you only need 2 fans. Most of the time the triple pack comes in at less than the combination of the above, plus you get an extra fan and everything in one box.

That would be my recommendation, but you could also price out the additional cost of a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub for your local area. The RGB hub usually has to come from Corsair. The LNP can be found for less from many vendors. However, this really only makes sense if you only need 2 fans. Most of the time the triple pack comes in at less than the combination of the above, plus you get an extra fan and everything in one box.

One last question, Im not the best with which Motherboards are "good for the price" I was looking for a pretty good motherboard. I listed 2 above. But any preference on which one or which one you think would be pretty good. Was looking at about $180 for a mobo.

I don't have first hand experience with either board. Both are decent selections from that price range and I have a fair amount of faith in both. However, the best place to look for "oops" kind of things are professional and user reviews. If there is something really annoying about the board, it will come up. Performance is going to be essentially the same. There may be some additional benefits with lighting/control if your GPU is Asus or MSI and you match up.

Archived