Corsair Community

M65 RGB review.

Deathshead

Hey Guys! I just got my M65 RGB last night, used it for a few hours and its being returned to amazon right now. It stinks.

I'm coming from a Logitech MX518 that I have had for years.

The M65 rgb GRINDS on my smooth matte desk like its like nails on a chalkboard. Its like the Aluminum body at the front is scratching the mousing surface and even makes marks.

My old mx518 has worn out feet and its still smooth like silk.

Its way too wide/uncomfortable.

My Thumb sits on the sniper button at all times and that gets annoying, the button itself has a nice click, but it feels like it flexes when pressed in.

Tracking: It just dosent "feel" as good as an optical mouse, such as the trusty mx518. I know the acceleration issues with the M65 have been resolved with the firmware update but it just does not feel right. Perhaps I'm just not used to laser mice?

The software. I also have a K70 RGB with reds which is amazing!,

but It seems the mouse and keyboard seem to fight each other for lighting profiles. The lighting looks nice but the novelty wears off in 5 minutes unlike the k70 which is amazing all the time and never gets old.

I was not able to find an easy way to shut the lighting off unless you go into the software, go to mouse and click the button. (my machine runs 24/7)

with the K70 rgb kb, I just hit the switch to turn off the lights when done for the night.

(The Tramp Stamp logo, enough with this already Corsair STOP IT! with this! get rid of it.)

I know with the fitment/feel, ymmv but I ended up ordering a G502 it apparently has the best optical sensor you can buy, the better positioned sniper button and the free wheeling scroll wheel button sealed the deal.

Try it out and see for yourself, you might love it! the M65 RGB does LOOK cool.

I noticed the same grinding thing when I first got mine. I was using it on a Razer Destructor 2 mousepad which is plastic. I switched to a Corsair MM200 mousepad which is cloth and I haven't noticed the grinding. I don't know if there is some kind of design flaw or if that's just how it is. I don't think the mouse is too wide. I do think it's too short though. It kind of forces you to use a claw grip because it's so short.

At first I really didn't like the sniper button, but I've gotten used to it. I don't notice it anymore. I think they should release a version without the sniper button and with bigger left side buttons. I had a Corsair M90 before and the M65 just feels way smoother. I'm guessing this is because the sensor is better. It's still laser though so probably not as good as an optical sensor. I wish the CUE software was able to apply the same lighting profile to both keyboard and mouse so they could be synchronized.

I definitely agree about the new logo. It has none of the qualities of the old logo. I always associated Corsair with classy, understated, mature looking products, but the new logo flies in the face of that.

My only complaint about the M65 RGB is the scroll wheel lighting zone. It's barely visible (unless you look at the mouse from the front) and it's even worse if you use darker colors (red for instance).

I know the Sabre has an illuminated scroll wheel but I consider the M65 button placement better. I've remaped the sniper button to a regular button so I get 3 thumb buttons instead of the two the Sabre has. I usually set up 3 different DPI settings (ex: 1 = Sniper DPI, 2 = Normal walking/looking around DPI, 3 = any specific DPI like vehicule movement or whatever is special). I set #2 as my default and when I need to switch to sniper, I simply press the DPI up then use my sniper. Once I'm done, I hit DPI down and get back to normal DPI. Since the DPI switches are right under the scroll wheel, they are very easy to reach and quick to toggle. I hate holding down the sniper button (I guess I could have changed it to toggle instead of hold) but I like the fact I'm freeing up one button for grenades or whatever else is needed. I hate the DPI up and down button placement on the sabre as it's not natural for me to reach for those buttons as my index finger is ready to fire on left click. That and the M65 rear opening that let the light illuminate your mat and shows the aluminum body is gorgeous.

Really, the only problem is that scroll wheel lighting zone. If that was like the Sabre, it would be the perfect mouse for me :) The only other minor detail is that your hand kinda hides the DPI indicator when you hold the mouse (Sabre has it placed on the left side which is visible all the time) but it's not that much of a concern for me compared to the scroll wheel.

• 4 months later...

I have both the Sabre Laser and the M65 on my desk right now and am trying to decide which one to keep and which one to return. I rather prefer the M65, but the lighting is poor. If the wheel from the Sabre were on the M65, I would keep the M65, but as of right now, I'm leaning towards keeping the Sabre for the lighting. The whole point of having a RBG mouse is for the lighting... the M65 just does not measure up to the Sabre in that arena.

I'm tempted to open both mice and see if I can swap the wheels out to see if it makes a difference, but then I'd be stuck keeping them both and void my warranty. Has anyone already tried this? Any pictures to share? It looks to me that the light for the wheel on the M65 would illuminate the Sabre wheel if installed.

Archived