The Corsair User Forums

The Corsair User Forums (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LEDs on LL120 fans no longer working after power surge (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182592)

almeus 11-17-2018 02:40 PM

LEDs on LL120 fans no longer working after power surge
 
I have 3 LL120 fans connected to a lighting node pro/six way lighting hub. The LED controller, hub, 1 HDD and 1 SSD are all connected via the same SATA daisy chain cable to my power supply. The lights worked fine until a power surge (Yes I know I should get a surge protector). The lighting node is no longer visible in Corsair link, and the lights no longer come on, but the fans themselves still spin up fine. The fans are connected directly to various fan headers on the motherboard. The HDD and SSD work fine.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* putting the PSU SATA connector into a different slot on the power supply

* putting the fan LED headers into different ports on the lighting hub (from 1, 2, 3 to 4, 5, and 6)

* plugging the lighting hub into the channel 2 slot on the lighting node pro.

* unplugging and replugging the SATA connectors on the hub and lighting node

Is there anything I can do to get the fans working again, preferably at the lowest cost?


FIXED

I fixed the issue. I pried open the lighting node pro and found a button that fixes the issue when pressed while nothing is connected to the LNP. There's actually an access hole on the case that you can insert a paper clip into to push the button, but I didn't notice until I put the case back together. I have zero electronics knowledge, but I think the button drains the capacitors which prevent it from fully turning on after suddenly losing power. A similar thing happens to motherboards after a power outage.

We lost power again a few days ago and repeating the process fixed the issue again.

DevBiker 11-17-2018 02:51 PM

Well, we need to determine what the issue is, exactly.

First, based on what you've said, it sounds like the Lighting Node Pro is dead as it's no longer visible in Link. You can try an RMA. That's where you have to start. It's also possible that the Hub was blown - it has a capacitor in there - but until we can work with the NoPro, there's no way to tell.

almeus 11-17-2018 03:12 PM

I've thrown away all the documentation. All I have is the hardware, and I didn't buy any kind of extended warranty. Is an RMA still doable? These are also my only case fans.

DevBiker 11-17-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almeus (Post 980957)
I've thrown away all the documentation. All I have is the hardware, and I didn't buy any kind of extended warranty. Is an RMA still doable? These are also my only case fans.

So ... the fans are still turning so you are OK there.
And we'll start with the Lighting Node Pro since that's not detected, it's likely dead. And that would cause issues.

You can do an RMA as long as you have the receipt/invoice. If you bought it online, you should be able to look it up.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if the RGB Fan Hub is providing power. Pin 1 is +5V and Pin 4 is Ground. This device has a capacitor that could have been blown by the surge as well ... but we cannot confirm that until we get a Lighting Node Pro that's detected and controllable.

almeus 11-17-2018 06:42 PM

I was planning on buying a commander pro along with some light strips, which looks like it contains a lighting node of its own. I suppose I could do that and see if the hub is the issue. Or I could just buy a new hub. It would cost as much to ship the old one back for RMA

almeus 12-02-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevBiker (Post 980962)
So ... the fans are still turning so you are OK there.
And we'll start with the Lighting Node Pro since that's not detected, it's likely dead. And that would cause issues.

You can do an RMA as long as you have the receipt/invoice. If you bought it online, you should be able to look it up.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if the RGB Fan Hub is providing power. Pin 1 is +5V and Pin 4 is Ground. This device has a capacitor that could have been blown by the surge as well ... but we cannot confirm that until we get a Lighting Node Pro that's detected and controllable.

I just got my hands on a decent multimeter. Assuming you're talking about the ports labelled 1-6 that the RGB leads of the fans connect to. They are outputting 5 V.

DevBiker 12-02-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almeus (Post 983225)
I just got my hands on a decent multimeter. Assuming you're talking about the ports labelled 1-6 that the RGB leads of the fans connect to. They are outputting 5 V.

OK. So that sounds like the RGB Fan Hub is working. That's good. I think that we can be fairly certain, however, that the Lighting Node Pro is blown. You can try connecting to different USB connectors or even use a standard mini USB cable to connect to rear USB-A ports for testing.

And if you have the receipt/invoice, you should be able to do an RMA. If you bought it online, you should be able to look that up.

almeus 12-16-2018 07:38 PM

I fixed the issue. I pried open the lighting node pro and found a button that fixes the issue when pressed while nothing is connected to the LNP. There's actually an access hole on the case that you can insert a paper clip into to push the button, but I didn't notice until I put the case back together. I have zero electronics knowledge, but I think the button drains the capacitors which prevent it from fully turning on after suddenly losing power. A similar thing happens to motherboards after a power outage.

We lost power again a few days ago and repeating the process fixed the issue again.

DevBiker 12-16-2018 10:35 PM

The LNP doesn't have any capacitors, IIRC. It does have fuses. And that button is to reset the LNP into bootloader mode.

But if that's working for you ... awesome.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.