Corsair Community

EVGA X58: Corsair XMS, Dominator, Dominator GT, OC

A look at 3 sets of RAMs from Corsair spread out of 3 segments... see what you get for extra $$? Tested at High QPI Speed with High RAM Speeds on the EVGA X58 3X SLI at same time as one would hope for when maximizing performance.

RAM Scanned Through:

Corsair XMS3 Classic 1600MHz 9-9-9-24, 1.65V 3x 2GB, 6GB total

TR3X6G1600C9

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/p7.jpg

Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 8-8-8-24. 1.65V 3x 2GB, 6GB total

TR3X6G1600C8D

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/photo5.jpg

Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G2000C8GTF PC3-16000 6GB Kit 8-8-8-24

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/photo4.jpg

So, I pretend that I have a typical CPU and I'm on a 19x CPU Multiplier and I need a 205MHz Host Clock. What can I get out of the RAMs at the same time and how do they differ?

First the XMS Classic rated at 1600C9 is still chugging along at 205MHz Host and running:

CPU: 19x205 -> 3.9GHz

RAM: 1066 2:8 Ratio with 205MHz QPI -> 1640MHz CL9-9-9-24-1T

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/xms.jpg

There's a reason why it's rated at CL9, it will not do the same speeds stable at CL8.

Now what about the Dominator C8?

RAM: 1066 2:8 Ratio with 205MHz QPI -> 1640MHz CL8-8-8-24-1T

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/cmx.jpg

Now instead of CL9 with the XMS Classic, at the same speeds, this kit can do C:8-8-8.

Can it do one step up the ratio? 2:10 with 205MHz QPI -> 2050MHz?

No, sorry it can't.

How about the Corsair Dominator GT C8GTF?

RAM: 1333 2:10 Ratio with 205MHz QPI -> 2050MHz CL8-8-8-24-1T

http://resources.vr-zone.com/Shamino/testevga758/gt.jpg

Other than matching the running of CL8-8-8-24 of the Dominator, beating the CL9-9-9 of the XMS, it can do what it says it can do, 2000MHz Memory, going from 2:8 to 2:10 at 205MHz Host Clock.

So, XMS 1640MHz CL9-9-9-24-1T vs Dominator 1640MHz CL8-8-8-24-1T vs Dominator GT 2050MHz CL8-8-8-24-1T.

All done on the E758 EVGA X58 3x SLI so these RAMs are fine to do 205MHz Hostclock as seen.

Shamino, welcome to our forum and thank you as always for the excellent information. This will be very useful to our mutual customers!

Thanks Mike, I just need to get my Noteboo fixed so I can be more active in forums :D

Let me know who's NB it is and what you need and I may be able to help you with it.

Haha Thanks, it's an ASUS ROG Notebook, been at RMA a week+ now though they told me it would get fixed in 3 days :roll:

Hmm I see, you are in Taiwan right? I will see if I still know anyone in ASUS NB TSD that can check into that for you if you like but I would just call them if you are local. If you sent it to ASUS USA let me know the RMA number by PM and I can call them for you I used to manage the MB Tech support in USA.

What other settings need to be changed to run the dominator GTs and rated specs on the x58? I have that same set and I can't get it to run greater than 1600 mhz even with the CPU not OCed! On the ASUS p6T deluxe I could. I figure I am missing something on the EVGA board. Memtest won't even run if I set it greater than 1600, it just reboots the computer. Plus, I get tons of BSODS if I do get into windows with it greater than 1600. Settings I have tried;

Dimm volts 1.65

manually entering timings of 88824 2t

vtt +100

and varying combinations of qpi and ram dividers all to no avail.

Is it me, the memory or the motherboard?

Thanks for your time.

Justin

PS I have the 965

What other settings need to be changed to run the dominator GTs and rated specs on the x58? I have that same set and I can't get it to run greater than 1600 mhz even with the CPU not OCed! On the ASUS p6T deluxe I could. I figure I am missing something on the EVGA board. Memtest won't even run if I set it greater than 1600, it just reboots the computer. Plus, I get tons of BSODS if I do get into windows with it greater than 1600. Settings I have tried;

Dimm volts 1.65

manually entering timings of 88824 2t

vtt +100

and varying combinations of qpi and ram dividers all to no avail.

Is it me, the memory or the motherboard?

Thanks for your time.

Justin

PS I have the 965

hi

which bios are you on?

You should try to load XMP profile with the latest bios.

you can also try a manual VTT range of +250mv to 400mv, nwith the rest on auto, since4 auto willmake the Vdimm 1.65v when you select xmp profile.

Shamino,

Great to see you over here as well as on the EVGA site.

I'd be posting how to get 12 Gigs of this Corsair Dominator to run, but I just ripped apart Fridge4 to RMA the EVGA X58 today. (There was a coupling capacitor fall off the board :eek:).

Tonight I'm working on some Xtreme XMS2 on an Asus Board :o: but I'll come back to this thread when the X58 is returned.;):

Shamino,

Great to see you over here as well as on the EVGA site.

I'd be posting how to get 12 Gigs of this Corsair Dominator to run, but I just ripped apart Fridge4 to RMA the EVGA X58 today. (There was a coupling capacitor fall off the board :eek:).

Tonight I'm working on some Xtreme XMS2 on an Asus Board :o: but I'll come back to this thread when the X58 is returned.;):

Thanks for the welcome. Did it fall off by itself? :bigeyes:

Johnj, thanks man, its already in RMA for 2 weeks and they are making me wait till month end cos they dont have a replacement board for it (dont even think that the whole board spoilt but the power input) . At least now I know how it feels like to wait for long RMAs :roll:

hi

which bios are you on?

You should try to load XMP profile with the latest bios.

you can also try a manual VTT range of +250mv to 400mv, nwith the rest on auto, since4 auto willmake the Vdimm 1.65v when you select xmp profile.

I think my problem has been VTT. I am at only +250 and it must not be enough. From what I am reading at EVGA forums, probably need a lot more so I will start raising it bit by bit and see what happens. Thanks

Justin

Archived