Corsair Community

H100i v2 Loud Noise

LeaveItToBeever

I have had the build for a while and my H100i v2 makes terrible rattling noises. It only happens when it ramps up like when I'm playing a game or something intensive. It's quite annoying and quite loud in fact, I can't hear the game I am playing with headphones on. It is to the point to where I want to take the whole cooler out and stop using water cooled. What should I do?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Video for reference.

I believe it either has to do with cavitation in the pump itself or a rattle from the fans.

Can't get a lot of clarity out of that short burst, however there is certainly something wrong.

You need to separate the fans and pump to try and eliminate one or the other. While at the desktop with minimal or normal load, disconnect the fans from the splitter. This should not cause much change in coolant temperature and if the noise remains, it is likely to be the pump. Obviously if it goes away entirely, it was the fans.

I would also make sure your BIOS setting for CPU fan or wherever you have connected the H100i v2 is set to 100%/Full Speed or "disabled". The pump needs the full 12v. Always use Link/iCUE to manage fan/pump speeds, not the BIOS. To my ear, there does seem to be an element of pump disorderly conduct in the clip. Hopefully this corrects it, otherwise it is likely it will need to be replaced.

Considering it only does it under load I have a feeling the bios is messing with the fan curve or something of the sorts when under load. Unfortunately when the new iCue software came out I can no longer use Link to edit the fan curve because of iCue. With iCue it only allows you to edit to "Quiet", "Balanced", and "Extreme" with little to no customization on those curves.

In bios I have previously disabled q-fan control as well as I was reading it messes with the Voltage.

OK then, that may be a positive sign if this only started occurring with iCUE and you haven't set your fan curves.

1) Select the Performance Tab under the H100i v2 Tab in iCUE.

2) Click the "+" at the end of the Performance Tab. This will create a "cooling mode" (re-nameable) and is iCUE speak for a custom curve. The fixed rpm and % controls are also hidden here.

3) You can drag points or type in values on the box on the left. There are also 3 curve shaping tools on the top right side of the graph. These equate (we think) to the three standard profiles and you can tweak it from there. Obviously you don't need 2000 rpm for anything with your set up. Keep the speeds down near 1500 and watch coolant temp. Gains beyond that point are usually very small in the 1-2C range.

Something still sounds terrible and I still think you want to pin this down. The SP120L Grey fans that come with that cooler were never my favorite and I usually counsel people to replace them with something in a smoother tone. If they are making that sound, the bearings may be shot and you will still want to get something else on there.

I had no idea that cooling mode was possible I just figured those were my only options. I will adjust these and see. I wish it gave me the actual numbers of RPM instead of a % so I can fine tune it. I will have to just play with it and see.

However, if I do decide to replace those fans what would you go with?

As far as I can remember I only have one other fan on the tower and it pull air in from the front. Should I get other fans too?

There is a protocol to switch to maximum when on the presets and you hit 40C coolant temperature. That is not a fail point, but if you are routinely hitting 40C without reason, it suggests there is a problem with the cooler. On the other hand, in Summer or in any 28-30C room, its not hard to get to that value when under combination GPU + CPU load.

Perhaps we should take a basic look at how things are working. What is your coolant temp when sitting on the desktop under normal idle conditions (not after gaming)? What is the peak coolant temp you normally notice? How does this compare to the room temperature? A slipping cooler will usually have both a higher than expected idle (in comparison to room temp) as well as a very large difference between idle and peak. You might expect +6C for a CPU only load. You can see +10C during gaming as a result of the case temperature increasing as well, not actual more CPU waste heat.

35C is OK if your room temp is 28-30C. What is your approximate room temperature?

Based on your description, it sounds like you have one intake fan on the front rail and the H100i v2 exhausts air out the top. The back is vacant. Yes, having a dedicated rear exhaust fan would help a lot when GPU load is present. Even if you are using a blower, all the radiant waste heat will be pulled through the radiator adding some measure of temperature penalty.

However, I am more interested in the 35C coolant idle. If you can, run a mild stress test for 5-10 minutes. Don't use Prime or IBT, something easy like AIDA, Intel XTU, or similar. I would like to know how the coolant changes from start to 10 minutes time. We are expecting +6C. If it goes +10-12C, we know there is an issue not related to case set-up.

Archived