Corsair Community

Corsair H80i GT

Fragil1ty

Hey guys,

So I recently bought a new cooler as the title implies, really enjoying it thus far and the installation went down a treat.

Now, within the Corsair Link program, it specifies for the "H80i GT Pump" that you can use two modes, performance or quiet mode.

I'd just like to ask a few questions really;

1. Are there any advantages of using Performance mode over quiet mode?

2. What do the different modes entail?

3. Which mode do you guys prefer to use?

4. Which mode is 'advised' to use?

Thanks very much!

1. Faster flow of water theoretically offers more cooling ability. Each molecule of water will make more trips through the system in a given amount of time and can carry more heat from the block to the fin and fan assembly where some of that heat is removed. A faster cycle rate might give you cooler water temperatures or allow you to use lower fan speeds without an increase in water temperature. Whether any of that has real world value is another question and the only way to find out is to compare the results under different load situations.

The disadvantage is noise. Faster pump rpm, more noise. It doesn't matter when you can't hear it, but if the faster mode is bothersome, then you'll have to balance that with the above results.

2. Just speed. I've lost track of all the individual pump speeds, but you can see it in the LINK program. Should be something like 3000 vs 2000 rpm.

3 & 4. It doesn't matter as long as you are staying within the temperature range acceptable to you. In the early days, most reported nominal differences when testing between the two modes, however your own individual uses and not a bench test are the only thing that really matters. Noise is the only immediate drawback to higher pump speed, but case layout and proximity are going to be different for each user and the individual quality of the pump may have the final say.

Archived