Corsair Community

Upgrading the GPU or CPU - Corsair One

VRGamer147

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Corsair One, but the only thing stopping me from doing so is the fact that upgrading the two main components of the machine is no easy task.

I live in the United Kingdom, is there a Corsair centre where I can send it for upgrades such as GPU or CPU?

Not sure I would want to attempt myself, even after the two year warranty expires.

Any advice greatly appreciated to help me go forward with the purchase.

I see from other threads here that upgrading the CPU is not an option. For example, the i9 will be way too hot for this diminutive build of PC.

But what about the most important element of all for gamers. The GPU?

How difficult is it to upgrade this?

I really don't want to spend £2600 on a machine that will be outdated in only a couple of years time.

Is it an option at a later date, when games have advanced beyond the 1080 ti to add an eGPU to this system?

I understand eGPU still doesn't work as good as an internal GPU though. Hence, why I would prefer to upgrade my £2.5k machine internally.

Looking for advice directly from a Corsair engineer or expert in this field?

I don't believe Corsair has really said whether they would offer any future upgrade options when GPUs and CPUs change but some of the other posts on the forum suggest they don't have plans to take that step. Only Corsair knows for sure though.

CPU upgrade wise the i9 series of kabylake-X and skylake-x processors can't be installed because they use a different socket then then 1151 socked used in the z270 board from the Corsair One.

It also looks like Intel's upcoming 8 series CPU's like the rumored 8700k and such are going to use a new/updated socket of some kind or they just won't have firmware updates to work with older MLB's and will require a new 300 series Motherboard so that isn't an upgrade path either.

EGPU's are really being built around thunderbolt which the Corsair One does not offer. It's unlikely that any EGPU will connect to and work with the Corsair One in the future.

If you want to upgrade the CPU then you will need a new motherboard which you could replace although it would void your warranty. The MLB in the Corsair one is just a standard it z270 board but there could be issues with the placement of certain components that could keep things from lining up.

If you want to upgrade the GPU again technically it's a standard MSI Seahawk I believe and there are mounts for other 2 slot cards if you have the version with the radiator and maybe 3 if you have the version without the radiator. Lining up things could be an issue again and heat/power generation could come into play as issues too so you might need a new PSU which is a standard SFX Corsair part.

Overall upgradability is there but it's more complicated then just swapping this or that out and likely will require a lot of forethought and potentially some compromises. With that said I'm planning on changing the PSU and MLB shortly in mine and getting the 7700k they sent de-lidded to bring them temps down.

Good Luck.

Hi mnetting,

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for, you clearly know your stuff.

I suppose my biggest fear is this. I'm spending what for me is a lot of money, and I would want at least five years comprehensive gaming from this machine. Without the ability to at least easily replace the GPU, that's not going to happen.

So two years from now, I own a machine that I can't upgrade and is way below standard specifications for 2020 Virtual Reality games.

Does that give this machine bang for your buck? Two years from now, already needing to look for a new computer? At the price, I would say no.

Any opinions greatly appreciated?

Given what you are saying I would suggest going with a different pre-built or doing some research and building your own system. The Corsair one should still be pretty viable for 5 years but it won't be top of the line in it's current config for more then maybe 2 or 3 at most. Gamers Nexus on Youtube has some good first time building videos if I recall correctly as does Paul's Hardware.

I bought the one because I wanted a very small system with vertical airflow that I could manually work on in the future and I didn't want to build one myself. I was planning on getting the phanteks shift case when it came out but it got delayed so I just got the one instead.

Hi mnetting,

I would just like to thank you again for your response on this shoddy forum. I personally think that Corsair should be paying you as one of their expert engineers, seeing as the actual Corsair reps are far too busy to respond to a very simple question.

I wish I knew how difficult it was to do this GPU upgrade in around two years time, I can only go on what your telling me, and I really do appreciate the feedback. That Phanteks Shift case looks mightily similar the Corsair One, but let's be honest, it's just not as swish. Never built a PC in my life, perhaps now is a good time to start. I just wish someone from Corsair could simply say "Yeah, we can upgrade it for. Just send to this address, etc."

But no, it's like they are completely ignoring the question. Despite this video I found on YouTube. Clearly stating they can upgrade for you, yet no response anywhere. Even upon asking the place I was potentially buying from in UK, after emailing them about it. Their words, "I don't think this is a service they will be offering".

[ame]

[/ame]

It's advertised as being 'Future Proof' and will grow with you. How the f£&@ is future proof if it's not easily upgradeable on the GPU, and there is zero response from the company themselves about a service offering it.

I think I should just send it to you mnetting. :biggrin:

8/21:

We investigated doing an upgrade program for the graphics hardware and found it would be extremely costly to implement - not just for us, but for end users. For example, upgrading the 1080 system to a 1080 Ti would require:

1. Changing the PSU

2. Changing the top system fan

3. Changing the graphics card

4. Adding an additional power cable for the card

With the way Corsair One is engineered, there really isn't a good way to upgrade the graphics hardware. The PSUs used in Corsair One aren't available in retail or as spare parts, and the cooling system is designed specifically for the graphics card already installed.

Like mnetting said, it sounds like you'd be better off building your own system.

Wired,

Thank you, this pretty much answers my question.

I suppose the only other question I've got, is will the 1080ti and Intel 7700K be a powerful enough computer to run top end AAA games in say three years from now?

Despite everything regarding the upgradability I still am seriously tempted to buy it. If I could get three years top end gaming at silky smooth frame rates before it started to wane, I guess I could live with it.

I'm just frustrated that at one point it had seemed that there was to be upgradability from Corsair and now it doesn't. Furthermore, I am pretty upset at the fact it seems Corsair will not sell you the parts from the One TI to upgrade period.

Corsair Alan and Dustin is this the way Corsair has decided to do business??? Or will Corsair allow us to purchase those parts at a later time? What I'm getting at is, am I stuck with what I have now? I would really appreciate a response. Thanks.

-Justin

Hi zguy85,

I wouldn't hold your breath, you may as well be talking to the wall.

Simple fact is, Corsair built this PC thinking it would be upgradeable, but future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.

They just don't want to admit it, as obviously it would see sales plummet.

As great as it looks, it's as about future proof as a Betamax video recorder.

• Corsair Employee

To be honest, I actually genuinely feel your pain. You're mad and you SHOULD be. I took over as manager for Corsair One after launch and have had to discover firsthand how specialized the hardware is.

Make no mistake, from an engineering standpoint I do think it's an absolutely fantastic product with an innovative cooling system able to balance performance and noise in a way nobody else really has in this form factor.

But I also recognize its shortcomings in terms of the upgradeability that was promised and not delivered upon to the depth that you and I would like, and I've made efforts to correct our public messaging where possible to line it up with what's actually feasible with Corsair One.

If the inability to upgrade the graphics card is a dealbreaker for you, you're welcome to contact customer service and request a return with my blessing. We recognize the damage is done and there's nothing that can be done to make it fully right, but we can do the best we can if given the opportunity.

Hi zguy85,

I wouldn't hold your breath, you may as well be talking to the wall.

Simple fact is, Corsair built this PC thinking it would be upgradeable, but future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.

They just don't want to admit it, as obviously it would see sales plummet.

As great as it looks, it's as about future proof as a Betamax video recorder.

Dustin,

Many thanks for your reply. I've not actually purchased the Corsair One, due to its future proof failings, and God knows what other problems judging by this forum.

Still, think it's a great product you've made. But may I suggest for Corsair One MK2 that you use a slightly larger, but still cool looking case. It's no good being as small as it is if creates endless problems and lack of upgradeablity.

Best Regards,

VRGamer

• Corsair Employee

Believe me, if we were to make a second generation Corsair One platform, upgradeability would be a huge priority.

As for the "God knows what other problems judging by this forum," I don't believe that's entirely fair. The chief problem we've had with Corsair One has been the PCI Express ribbon issue, and we've recalled those and are beginning to send out replacement systems. I haven't seen any other issues really pop up that wouldn't happen with any other PC.

I totally get that Corsair One, at least in its current design, isn't for you, and that's cool. If the stuff we make doesn't suit your needs, we're always totally fine with our customers finding something somewhere else that suits them better. But please don't paint it with a broad brush. It's a great product we're all very proud of that unfortunately ran into a hurdle.

Dustin,

Many thanks for your reply. I've not actually purchased the Corsair One, due to its future proof failings, and God knows what other problems judging by this forum.

Still, think it's a great product you've made. But may I suggest for Corsair One MK2 that you use a slightly larger, but still cool looking case. It's no good being as small as it is if creates endless problems and lack of upgradeablity.

Best Regards,

VRGamer

Corsair Dustin, thank you for your replies I have been meaning to thank you. Even with the One being very challenging to upgrade, I still love it and will not give it up. I believe that it will be able to be upgraded in the future with some ingenuity and imagination. Additionally, I am banking on the fact that future GPU cores will pull 180W or less similar to the 1080GTX with similar to less heat... we'll see. Otherwise this system will remain plenty powerful if running anything at 1080P or even at 1440 with High FPS which I currently am and should be fine for the years to come.

Amazing machine and you guys will have my business with your ONE Mk2. I will be first to order your next model hands down, especially if it retains the near same beautiful small form factor and unique modern aluminum design. Great job Team Corsair! and thanks again Dustin.

-Justin

Hi zguy85,

... future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.

Bah, wrote a long long reply, and the forum lost it, because it logged me out while writing. So here it is again, without all the examples :p

Bottom line: NO power will NOT limit your upgrades of the Corsair One Pro. Due to its two huge radiators, it has excellent cooling! And if you choose the 1080Ti version, the PSU is plenty large.

Anyway, system power for high end systems have not increased since 2010! Actually it has definitely fallen a bit...

Top single-GPU cards have been capped at 250W TDP since the NVidia GTX480 from 2010. Even today, the 1080Ti still have a 250W TDP.

Top quad-core i7 CPU's have been at 130W TDP since i7 was introduced in 2007! The latest two generations 6700K and 7700K have actually been LOWER at 91W TDP.

(The 6-10 core versions have been slightly higher at 140W, and a single one in 2012 used 150W).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation_figures

Realistically, the GPU can draw peaks up to 300W, and the CPU up to ~150W under full load (TDP is just the suggested design criteria for the cooling! I.e. normal max load, averaged over some seconds).

The GPU is actually limited by the PCI-e standard to 300W (75W PCI-e slot + 75W 6pin power + 150W 8pin power).

As I understand, since ATX 2.0 (2003) the CPU power is limited by the P4 12V pins, which can supply max 196W.

So in short, both CPU and GPU power has tended flat for at least 7 years.

While a new GPU in 3-4 years MAY use more than 250W, it is just unlikely. And even if that does happen, you can just take a slight step down from the extreme top model (i.e. 1070/1080 instead of 1080Ti today), and you will definitely be fine, and still get a dramatic speed increase.

Especially if you choose a 1080Ti model today, which gets the 500W PSU (the 1070/1080 models only have 400W PSU's).

What WILL limit your ability to upgrade, is that the Corsair One is quite hard to upgrade, due to custom water cooling and a VERY compact cabinet.

The Corsair One Pro combines Power, Small and Quiet - which is extremely hard to do yourself to this degree.

If you don't need Quiet and/or Small, then you can easily make your own system cheaper and it will be much easier to upgrade.

Small: If you can go with a normal horizontal design, instead of the vertical Corsair One, then the GPU doesn't need all the funny internal cabling.

Quiet: If you can go for an aircooled GPU, then the upgrade path will be VERY easy. And some of them are reasonably quiet today too. You just need some system fans too.

But if you need all three, nobody does it better than Corsair One.

I really don't want to spend £2600 on a machine that will be outdated in only a couple of years time.

I find this statement interesting as any computer whether prebuilt or custom built will be outdated in a few years. Just last year in June I put together a new rig with a custom water loop. It has a x99 FTW K mobo, i7-6850k, Corsair's 3200mhz 32gb Blackout SE memory and 2 EVGA 1080 Ti in SLI. It is on the verge of being outdate now with the release of Threadripper and upcoming x299 gear. in 2 years (if not less) it will be really outdated and the machine is not future proof.

To upgrade a CPU, a new motherboard will likely be required and possibly memory. That alone could be over 2k depending on the level of gear purchased. I am an enthusiast so I go big in most of the time. I could possibly upgrade the graphics cards providing PCI-e is still the standard in a few years. I am already tiring of my case so that is another item to consider. $$$$$

The One is a nice computer for people who don't know how to build a machine themselves or don't want to do it anymore. If I was in the market now, that machine would be on my short list as it's components will run games at acceptable frame rates for years to come.

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with a lot of the above. Working in IT and as a system builder I've been looking at the CP1.

Now while I admit, any upgrade paths from the "normal home user" are fraught with potential disaster, someone who knows their way around a PC should be able to upgrade no problem.

Looking at the CP1, it's just an ITX board, as long as the general height of the board doesn't exceed that of the MSI, you could, in theory put any ITX board there.

Yes the I9's will produce more heat, more than the passive cooler in the CP1 can handle, but the next iteration of Z270 should be more thermally efficient meaning less heat.

• 2 months later...
To be honest, I actually genuinely feel your pain. You're mad and you SHOULD be. I took over as manager for Corsair One after launch and have had to discover firsthand how specialized the hardware is.

Make no mistake, from an engineering standpoint I do think it's an absolutely fantastic product with an innovative cooling system able to balance performance and noise in a way nobody else really has in this form factor.

But I also recognize its shortcomings in terms of the upgradeability that was promised and not delivered upon to the depth that you and I would like, and I've made efforts to correct our public messaging where possible to line it up with what's actually feasible with Corsair One.

If the inability to upgrade the graphics card is a dealbreaker for you, you're welcome to contact customer service and request a return with my blessing. We recognize the damage is done and there's nothing that can be done to make it fully right, but we can do the best we can if given the opportunity.

Corsair have clearly made catastrophic errors with the One Pro ti. We can all see it was advertised as being future proof, and now your saying it can’t be so go buy another product if we want upgradabity.

What you should be doing is working hard to innovate and deliver what was promised. Work with your partners to at least find a solution for ugrading the GPU in the future.

Otherwise you may as well scrap this product. Someone needs to be fired for the issues that has now come to light.

I hope to see Corsair find a solution and exceed customer expectations.

Agreed CNBIII. Yes, there was word of "possible" upgradeability in the future, but that was and only a possibility. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. When I had purchased this product I knew no matter what that it was only a 50/50 shot that Corsair would provide an easy plug and play or turn in solution for upgrades.

Overall it's a great product, but anyone with some sense who really researched this product, knew that it was put together in such a unique and custom fashion that it would be very difficult to upgrade further, let alone by yourself. I understood this and accepted that outcome upon purchase.

I will say this though. I wish Corsair would offer upgrade options, especially offering the ability to purchase the components ... cough cough 500W Power Supply... of later and higher performing models with option of taking on the task upgrading ourselves at our own risk. There should be absolutely no reason this wouldn't be allowed and this is what frustrates me the most.

I have replaced the top fan with Corsair's PRO Model and yes it is tad bit louder, but my CPU temp no b.s went down about 4-5C avg. which I love, and highly recommend all to do with this easy $28 modification. http://a.co/dcEZykX

Archived