The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM

POST ID # = 522608
David Cole Reputation: 10
Default Asus P8P67 Deluxe won't work with 16 GB ram

I have a 2600K cpu, Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, Gigabyte 5770 vga card, Corsair AX850 psu - I'm undertaking a new build.

Following assurance in this forum and from the Corsair Memory Selector that the new CML16GX3M4A 1600C9B (cerulean blue) x4 module set of 16Gb Vengeance ram was fully compatible with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, I bought the memory set.

However, after exhaustive testing I find that the board simply will not operate with more than 8Gb (x2 modules) of this ram set. Specifically, the memory fault light light on the board comes on, there is no beep, and the machine will not enter POST. It does not matter which slot or combination of slots you use, the additional ram is not seen and stops the POST.

I am using the latest (1850) BIOS for the motherboard.

Has anyone had this ram working with this board? Can I try anything else to get the additional 8Gb to work?

Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM

POST ID # = 523553

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cole View Post
I have a 2600K cpu, Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, Gigabyte 5770 vga card, Corsair AX850 psu - I'm undertaking a new build.

Following assurance in this forum and from the Corsair Memory Selector that the new CML16GX3M4A 1600C9B (cerulean blue) x4 module set of 16Gb Vengeance ram was fully compatible with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, I bought the memory set.

However, after exhaustive testing I find that the board simply will not operate with more than 8Gb (x2 modules) of this ram set. Specifically, the memory fault light light on the board comes on, there is no beep, and the machine will not enter POST. It does not matter which slot or combination of slots you use, the additional ram is not seen and stops the POST.

I am using the latest (1850) BIOS for the motherboard.

Has anyone had this ram working with this board? Can I try anything else to get the additional 8Gb to work?

Thanks.

UPDATE -

I bought a new board and memory set. Still no joy with 16Gb using the Noctua heatsink and fan controller, but, I first tried a basic set up with the stock Intel heatsink/cooler, its fan plugged into the board, and the vga card and with these components the 16Gb/4 modules worked and were recognised.

If I could work out why the 4 modules worked with the Intel set up but not the noctua and fan controller, I could maybe fix the problem Any ideas please?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523555
Wired Reputation: 16

Sounds like the culprit is the common denominator - the CPU.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM

POST ID # = 523563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Sounds like the culprit is the common denominator - the CPU.
Thanks. Where does that take me? The CPU seems to be working fine. The difference is the heatsink/fan arrangement but I can't see why that would make a difference to the memory - particularly when the Noctua heatsink has been fitted to x2 different boards with exactly the same result.

Last edited by David Cole; 08-28-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM

POST ID # = 526140
Default The Asus P8P67 Deluxe

Has anyone here had the Asus P8P67 Deluxe working with all four modules in the CML16GX3M4A 1600C9B set, please?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 526309
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Yes I have many times just make sure that you have the latest BIOS version then load setup defaults and then enable XMP Profile one is all you have to do!

Last edited by RAM GUY; 09-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 526318
peanutz94 Reputation: 82

Quote:
The CPU seems to be working fine. The difference is the heatsink/fan arrangement
A CPU can seem to be fine even if the memory controller isn't. It may just be a matter of changing the way you attach your heatsink. Try to put a little more pressure on the two screws that are at the top of the heat sink. That way as it sags under weight it doesn't pull on the CPU itself. It's possible the pins responsible for memory function just are not making good enough contact with the CPU.

It may not be a bad idea to just pull the CPU to check for bent pins in the socket... Someone here has caught that issue a couple of times.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM

POST ID # = 526401

Thanks. Very helpful. I'll get on to that.