The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Corsair Tech Mktg

POST ID # = 496944
Yellowbeard Reputation: 42
Send a message via AIM to Yellowbeard
Default Force Series Sleep/Hibernate Work Around

The Corsair Force Series SSDs continue to offer blistering performance with an awesome combination of read and write speeds. We are continually working with SandForce to improve and support our SSD line up. We have noticed that since our most recent firmware update for the Force 1200 series, released in November of 2010, that a small number of users are still having issues relating to startup and hibernation. In some cases, these issues relate to how certain systems boot up or recover from a hibernation state.

We are currently qualifying several MP4 firmware versions to evaluate their reliability and effectiveness at addressing these issues. However, they are not ready for release at this time. We have determined that some users with these startup and hibernation issues can benefit from using a work around. Many BIOS’ have a feature that occurs during the POST process relating to boot speed called Quick boot, Fast boot, or some similar variation of this term. This setting can contribute to these start up and hibernation issues.

If you are an user with these issues, we have prepared a guide for disabling this quick boot feature. These screen shots are from a AMI BIOS on an ASUS motherboard. Your individual BIOS may differ in either layout or terminology. If you are not certain which term your BIOS uses for the quick boot feature, or how to enter and navigate inside your BIOS, please refer to your manual or your motherboard manufacturer for assistance.

Step 1. Enter your BIOS. Typically this is done using the Delete key or F1 key.

Step 2. Navigate to the Boot section and enter this section.

On laptops, the BIOS may appear a bit differently but, the navigation and selection is essentially the same.

Step 3. Navigate to the Quick Boot option and set it to disabled.

And again, the navigation is very similar on a laptop.

Step 4. Save the settings, exit the BIOS, and reboot.

Make friends on Facebook: XMSYELLOWBEARD

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

POST ID # = 503946
Thor74 Reputation: 10
Question

And what should we that have F120s installed in Macbook Pros do? As you probably know there is no BIOS on the Intel Macs to activate this workaround.

My F120 came new from Corsair with FW 2.0 (I checked the fw version with the Mac's System Information) so there is no firnware to upgrade it to.

Thank you.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Corsair Tech Mktg

POST ID # = 503951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor74 View Post
And what should we that have F120s installed in Macbook Pros do? As you probably know there is no BIOS on the Intel Macs to activate this workaround.

My F120 came new from Corsair with FW 2.0 (I checked the fw version with the Mac's System Information) so there is no firnware to upgrade it to.

Thank you.
Please be patient until we validate a suitable firmware upgrade.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
TokyoRevelation's PC Specs

POST ID # = 503954
TokyoRevelation Reputation: 10
Default Windows Update - KB2541014

Microsoft recently released an update to Windows 7 pertaining to hibernation/memory dump issues, you can view the information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014. Microsoft has made this available through Windows Update. Does anyone know if this pertains to the relevant issues involving the Performance 3 and Force series SSDs, and if so, should those experiencing those issues install this update?

Thanks

Last edited by TokyoRevelation; 05-24-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added title

Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Corsair Tech Mktg

POST ID # = 503957

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRevelation View Post
Microsoft recently released an update to Windows 7 pertaining to hibernation/memory dump issues, you can view the information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014. Microsoft has made this available through Windows Update. Does anyone know if this pertains to the relevant issues involving the Performance 3 and Force series SSDs, and if so, should those experiencing those issues install this update?

Thanks
It may relate to the hibernate issues but the root of this issue occurs for most at startup, before the OS is loaded. It's going to take a firmware update to fix that.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM

POST ID # = 504149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
It may relate to the hibernate issues but the root of this issue occurs for most at startup, before the OS is loaded. It's going to take a firmware update to fix that.
What puzzles me is that this issue supposed to have been fixed with FW update 2.0, and there are still lots of people posting about this problem on the Internet, specially on Macbooks.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 AM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 504180
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

I don't think FW 2.0 ever addressed the boot detection problem. It was only to prevent the BSOD when the computer is waking from sleep.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM

POST ID # = 504363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
I don't think FW 2.0 ever addressed the boot detection problem. It was only to prevent the BSOD when the computer is waking from sleep.
My macbook pro (2011) crashes on me when waking up from deep sleep (hibernation) and the F120 came with firmware 2.0 so the issue was not fixed with this firmware.

@Yellowbeard: What is the approx. ETA for the release of this validated firmware update?

Last edited by Thor74; 05-26-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 504370
Wired Reputation: 16

It's not validated yet, so there's no ETA.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 504379
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor74 View Post
My macbook pro (2011) crashes on me when waking up from deep sleep (hibernation) and the F120 came with firmware 2.0 so the issue was not fixed with this firmware.

@Yellowbeard: What is the approx. ETA for the release of this validated firmware update?
The firmware 2.0 addressed wake from sleep aka standby, and it fixed this issue. Specifically it fixed S3 mode from the ACPI specification. S1 and S4 (hibernate) never had any problems on other systems.

In fact, before firmware 2.0 was released the solution for those getting BSODs was to disable S3 and use S4 instead.

The macbooks have a problem with hibernate with this drive that is not seen on other systems.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
pbpari's PC Specs

POST ID # = 508519
pbpari Reputation: 10
Default Workaround didn't work

HI - I have a netbook (ASUS EeePC 904HD) with the latest bios update but the workaround given above (disable quickboot) didn't work. I just purchased the Corsair SSD Force 60 with the latest firmware update (2.1) so now I'm out of options.

About to return the SSD and get a 7200 HD but wanted to give it one more shot - any other ideas on how to fix the return from sleep/hibernate problem?

I am really used to simply closing my lid and coming out of sleep mode in a matter of seconds - prefer not to shut down the machine each time.

Any help would be appreciated - I have 14 days left to return the SSD...

Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Mummy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 508641
Mummy Reputation: 10
Confused Hi all, its bean while when i was here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
The firmware 2.0 addressed wake from sleep aka standby, and it fixed this issue. Specifically it fixed S3 mode from the ACPI specification. S1 and S4 (hibernate) never had any problems on other systems.

In fact, before firmware 2.0 was released the solution for those getting BSODs was to disable S3 and use S4 instead.

The macbooks have a problem with hibernate with this drive that is not seen on other systems.
I have 3 of these with 2.0fw and wakeing up from sleep is still kiling them by BSOD.
I also have ASUS Maximus 3 motherboard with the "AMI BIOS" and i have never have problem with finding my SSD if my pc or laptop has bean shotdown correctly.
But if its shotdown by BSOD it may have lost SSD in it and i haveto take power of my pc to give them back.

So i dont see reason why disableing quickboot would help. I try it anyway.

I didnt find my report after 2.0fw even if i member to doing so (maybe i sent it to RAM Guy, dont member), so i try to have time my pc's and do it again, with updated drivers.

ps. my os is mostly W7 home32 /pro64 so windows no linux if os has even anything to it.

Sry my English
Cheers, Mummy

Last edited by Mummy; 06-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 AM
redjack.ryan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 509869
redjack.ryan Reputation: 10

i had lots of BSOD afer resume from hibernate/S4 (i do not use sleep/S3) but disabling quick boot in the bios did nothing for me.

i was able to solve it by upgrading the Intel RST driver from 10.1.0.1008 to 10.5.0.1027 and it still works fine after 10+ resumes :)

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

POST ID # = 514249
charithjperera Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjack.ryan View Post
i had lots of BSOD afer resume from hibernate/S4 (i do not use sleep/S3) but disabling quick boot in the bios did nothing for me.

i was able to solve it by upgrading the Intel RST driver from 10.1.0.1008 to 10.5.0.1027 and it still works fine after 10+ resumes :)
Hmm, unfortunately updating RST did not help me. I went to 10.6.* but all that did is it detected the drive properly. Win 7 x86 still BSOD's after resuming from sleep.
Ubuntu 11.04 seems happy to resume from sleep without any probs tho.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM

POST ID # = 515086
Antiloop Reputation: 10

is there any ETA for the F115 series and the Power issue ?

we have customers complaining about laptops not booting up, and they are not able to deselect 'quick boot' in the bios (Asus and Sony Laptops)

the drive has firmware 2.1a I assume this is the last available (and can not be found on this site ?)

- so do we have to wait for 1-12 months to get this issue solved?
- is there another product range with similair specs WITHOUT this problem so we can replace the drives ?