Corsair Community

Asus P8P67 Deluxe sandybridge memory

jacob weber

I realize that this has just barely been released, but I am looking for a 8gb set of ram that is compatible with this board. I am looking for a 2 chip solution so that I may be able to upgrade latter to 16gb. I do plan on buying the Intel 2600k processor to overclock it too. thanks.

Thanks. There was two reasons why I wanted to buy one 8gb now, vs a 16gb latter is because of cost. Two 8gb sets are actually cheaper than 1, 4-chip 16gb set from what I have seen on various vendors.

I will have to scratch my budget a bit harder and see if I can afford the 16gb set.

It's never recommended to mix kits (in otherwords buy one now and one later), as there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

The Vengeance kits are Sandy Bridge compatible.

http://www.corsair.com/memory-3/vengeance.html

16 GB kit - CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

But how about combining two kits of the same kind, bought at the same time, installed at the same time?

I just got two 8GB XMS3 kits, each consisting of two 4GB 1600MHz dimms, i.e., four dimms for a total of 16GB. These kits should be "Sandy Bridge-compatible" according to the box. I installed the two dimms from the first kit in slot A1 and B1 of the motherboard, and the two from the second kit in slots A2 and B2. No OC'ing or anything non-default at all with regards to settings.

I had really thought this would work, but the BIOS only reports 8 GB available. Should I not be surprised?

Any ideas of what I might have done wrong, or how this could be fixed?

Edit: I have to take back what I said... It actually works now! I switched off in order to install a pci-tv-card (I try to bring back one device at a time in order to catch problems one at a time also, on my new system) and at the same time flipped the TPU and EPU switches to "enabled" on the motherboard. When I rebooted into the BIOS, voila, all 16GB suddenly present... I do appreciate problems going away by themselves, though inexplicable and random behaviour is of course not 100% satisfactorily... :-)

Do you mean the box for CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 explicitly said Sandy Bridge compatible?

Hmm. Maybe they were not. I have thrown out the empty packages unfortunately, but there were two stickers with images of cpus on them, which in my mind had become Sandy Bridge cpus. Come to think of it, there may have been "ordinary" i5 and i7 images on these stickers...

Ugh. Hope this doesn't mean I will get problems with these memory modules. I did have to use the "MemOK!"-auto-tuning button on the motherboard (P8P67 deluxe) for it to boot at all. Strangely enough, I had to do this twice, even though I did save all settings in the bios after the first tuning and booting...

It's never recommended to mix kits (in otherwords buy one now and one later), as there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

The Vengeance kits are Sandy Bridge compatible.

http://www.corsair.com/memory-3/vengeance.html

16 GB kit - CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

Hi Wired!

I've just bought an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, including an i7 2600k processor.

Now to my question:

Does this motherboard support the ''CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9''

Vengeance™ — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit?

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html

I only ask this because nor the Corsair's website's ''memory finder'' or the Asus P8P67 Deluxe's ''QVL'', can specify if this kit is compatible or not.

You and the guys at Corsair is my only and final hope.

Until someone of you guys reply, I'll be stuck with my unfinished* build.

* = I bought everything but the memory, (since I couldn't find a kit that would suit my needs - until I found about you guys).

That is why I turn to you and Corsair.

Best Regards

Mathias AA

M9A2

In short, yes.

Wow, that was quick. Thank you for your reply.

However there is one more thing:

I know these memory comes at 1600MHz, but I have read that these memory actually have to be overclocked to achieve the promised ''1600MHz''.

If not, they will only run at 1333MHz - Is this true?

Best regards

Mathias AA

M9A2

• 2 weeks later...
No and yes.

No, you don't overclock the memory because they're rated @ 1600 MHz.

Yes, you have to OC your CPU because by default they don't run memory @ 1600 MHz.

Does that mean that if someone is not interested in overclocking at all, that they might as well use 1333 memory? How much difference would one see between the two speeds when running general productivity applications and something like Photoshop?

Archived