Corsair Community

Corsair H70 Internal Testing Results

Yellowbeard

I got this information from the lab guy that generated the H70 test results. H70 and H50 tests were run back to back under the EXACT same testing conditions. MSRP is $109 US. Let's hope actual retail is less than that....right?

Inside an oven with a controlled ambient temp of 25C, we put all hardware inside an Obsidian 800D. The Asus Rampage III extreme and Core i7 were overclocked to 3.8GHz (20x190 MHz, 1.34Vcore) and the graphics card used was a GTX 295. The load was provided with Prime95 64-bit @ 100% on all cores. The test was designed to be a worst-case-scenario of heat. The test was then run at max for four hours while the temps were logged in Everest.

There was a single 120mm fan in the top panel of the 800D acting as the case’s sole exhaust.

All fans were run at 100%

Press Release: http://www.corsair.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=1593139

Product Page: http://www.corsair.com/products/casescooling_home.aspx?utm_source=Corsair&utm_medium=PressRelease&utm_content=ProductLink&utm_campaign=H70_Launch

Reviewers have units now so watch for reviews very soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7177&stc=1&d=1280953155

h70_chart.jpg.132aae18307e334a84ec8dc67a8d810c.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I like to see. 13C is a nice difference at full bore like that. Now if I could just get the ambient in my house down to 25C. Florida has its down points.

Now we just have to wait for it to hit the selves :(

I'm in Orlando too. No problem keeping it cool here. The room my PC's in on the other hand... :)

Seriously though, a simple roof fan (mine's solar, so no extra bills) that sucks out the hot air trapped in the crawl space up there does wonders!

Hi Yellowbeard , now its out officially can you tell us if the pipes and the pump lead are at least as long as the H50's .

In the review above can you tell us where the H70 was mounted in the 800d presumably as intake ? .

Waiting for stock to come in at Scan in the UK atm but hoping to mount myself at top rear fan position in the 800d ( currently with H50 there push/pull i'm at 25-28 degree spread across cores on an i7-930 , ambient ~ 20 degrees ) but if temps dropped that much with H70 i can maybe mount as above but as exhaust and still have slightly better temps .

Hi Yellowbeard , now its out officially can you tell us if the pipes and the pump lead are at least as long as the H50's .

In the review above can you tell us where the H70 was mounted in the 800d presumably as intake ?

The tubing length is virtually identical. At a glance, it looks so close you'd have to measure closely to see any difference.

And, of course the testing was done with the fans as intakes as that is our suggested configuration.

The tubing for the H70 is shorter than that of the H50. 226mm versus 310 mm. In the 800D the H70 can be mounted on the top of the case as well as the rear. It should fit in almost every other case out there if it fits in the 800D! :D:

The tubing for the H70 is shorter than that of the H50. 226mm versus 310 mm. In the 800D the H70 can be mounted on the top of the case as well as the rear. It should fit in almost every other case out there if it fits in the 800D! :D:

Link?

Or side-by-side photo/image link?

Yellowbeard, can you confirm the actual length of the H70 versus the H50 tubing (an actual set of measurements to the nearest centimeter would do)?

I want one, and I want to mount it where my current H50 is located, at the front of my MicroATX case, and 226mm versus 310mm may rule out my preferred mounting location.

TIA.

The "effective" length is about the same. Remember that part of the difference is 25-30mm difference in the rad thickness. And, the connectors at the block on the H70 swivel which compensates for them being somewhat shorter. The main reason we shortened them is that due to the thicker rad on the H70, we had to shorten so as not to bend the tubing too far. We have not seen an issue yet with the tubing differences. The H70 should go anywhere an H50 will.

The "effective" length is about the same. Remember that part of the difference is 25-30mm difference in the rad thickness. And, the connectors at the block on the H70 swivel which compensates for them being somewhat shorter. The main reason we shortened them is that due to the thicker rad on the H70, we had to shorten so as not to bend the tubing too far. We have not seen an issue yet with the tubing differences. The H70 should go anywhere an H50 will.

OK.

I'll need to make some measurements on my case & H50 setup, I really want to use the same fans (TFC TK-122 55mm depth) that I currently have installed.

The +25mm difference in radiator thickness is dually noted.

The swivel of the tubing at the pump is dually noted.

Also, I'll be changing the orientation of the pump from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, I should gain ~50mm right there.

Altogether, I believe I can make the H70 fit my current setup. :biggrin:

Well Hexus has their review of the H70, and they don't come anywhere near a delta of 13C for stock speed under full load versus a push/pull H50.

Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU cooler review

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Corsair/H70/graphs/graph-02.jpg

Their delta is 2.5C not 13C.

NOTE: It would be nice to know the height of the H70 versus the H50, as it looks like a 120mm fan can overlap the H70 pump, as shown in the Hexus review;

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Corsair/H70/hydro-h70-02-big.jpg

Also, from this HardwareHeaven picture;

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/corsair-h70/corsair-h70_h50-comparison.jpg

it becomes quite obvious that there is a significant difference in tubing lengths, they are nowhere near the same length.

The corrugated tubing looks to be identical in OD, ID, and rib pitch (8 ribs/inch), there are 59 ribs on the H70 and 91 ribs on the H50 (picture count for the H70 and counting the ribs on my H50), resulting in a 4" differential LOA (Length Over All), take an inch away for the 2X radiator and some fraction of an inch for the swivled tubing, means that you lose at least two inches, this eliminates placing the H70 at the front of your case for all intents and purposes. :(:

I'm going to need to see more reviews at this point, since I've always known that the radiator is the weak link in these types of AIO designs, The H50 has a 2C drop in water temperature across the radiator, I'd expect, at best, a 4C drop in water temperature across the H70 radiator.

Corsair needs to put up an H70 FAQ ASAP. :sigh!:

EDIT: OK, my bad, here are the Hexus temperatures when OC'ed to 4.15GHz;

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Corsair/H70/graphs/graph-04.jpg

That's more like it, a 7.6C differential (one fan H50) versus only 2.6C differential (two fan H50 push/pull), but still nowhere near 13C, remember were looking for maximum OC's.

I'm now thinking Corsair cherry picked the 3.8GHz OC to show maximum differential temperature versus a (single fan :confused: :confused:) H50 (which I also considered undersized for the OC'ed 130W i7-900 CPU's as has been reported countless times here in these forums). :(:

Well Hexus has their review of the H70, and they don't come anywhere near a delta of 13C for stock speed under full load versus a push/pull H50.

Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU cooler review

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Corsair/H70/graphs/graph-02.jpg

Their delta is 2.5C not 13C.

Note it would be nice to know the height of the H70 versus the H50, as it looks link a 120mm fan can overlap the H70 pump, as shown in the Hexus review;

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Corsair/H70/hydro-h70-02-big.jpg

Also, from this HardwareHeaven picture;

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/corsair-h70/corsair-h70_h50-comparison.jpg

it becomes quite obvious that there is a significant difference in tubing lengths, they are nowhere near the same length.

The corrugated tubing looks to be identical in OD, ID, and rib pitch (8 ribs/inch), there are 59 ribs on the H70 and 91 ribs on the H50 (picture count for the H70 and counting the ribs on my H50), resulting in a 4" differential LOA (Length Over All), take an inch away for the 2X radiator and some fraction of an inch for the swivled tubing, means that you lose at least two inches, this eliminates placing the H70 at the front of your case for all intents and purposes. :(:

I'm going to need to see more reviews at this point, since I've always known that the radiator is the weak link in these types of AIO designs, The H50 has a 2C drop in water temperature across the radiator, I'd expect, at best, a 4C drop in water temperature across the H70 radiator.

Corsair needs to put up an H70 FAQ ASAP. :sigh!:

Temperature: Differs in different places...

Tubing: They didn't put them exactly next to eachother... The H70 fan is protruding out more that the H50 because of the thicker rad.

Their picture:

---H50------------H70

------------------------

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

Picture that's correct:

---H50------------H70

------------------------

----------------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

Temperature: Differs in different places...

Tubing: They didn't put them exactly next to eachother... The H70 fan is protruding out more that the H50 because of the thicker rad.

Their picture:

---H50------------H70

------------------------

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

Picture that's correct:

---H50------------H70

------------------------

----------------FAILFAIL

----------------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

FAILFAIL--------FAILFAIL

WTF? :confused:

FYI, the Hardware Heaven results are much closer to ours. Remember that these are not apples v apples comparisons and none of these reviewers listed here are using an oven. There is no "cherry picking". Our testing is solid and was set up to eliminate variables and test the 2 coolers in a less than ideal heat scenario.

Hardware Heaven Review

FYI, the Hardware Heaven results are much closer to ours. Remember that these are not apples v apples comparisons and none of these reviewers listed here are using an oven. There is no "cherry picking". Our testing is solid and was set up to eliminate variables and test the 2 coolers in a less than ideal heat scenario.

Hardware Heaven Review

I remain skeptical of any manufacturer's own claims. I've been an enginneer for too many years, seen too many claims fall short of their mark, to take any such claims at face value.

For example;

http://www.corsair.com/products/h70/default.aspx

Tests performance in the Corsair Lab show greater cooling performance over the H50 in an extreme overclocking scenario. Using a test system built in the Corsair Obsidian Series 800D with a Core i7 920 processor overclocked to 3.8GHz (20 x 190 MHz, 1.34Vcore), Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard, with the default fans configured as an intake on the rear 120mm fan location.

What does that mean, exactly?

The default H50 lower CFM single fan versus two higher CFM fans for the H70?

I mean that's what you sell right now right out of each box, one lower CFM fan versus two higher CFM fans.

I have no idea, if what was run was, in fact, a worst case scenario, as there is nothing else to compare it to.

I do know how to run truly controlled experiments, I've run thousands of them, in grad school and for 25 years for the USACE ERDC (aka Waterways Experiment Station). While I seriously doubt anyone at either Corsair or Asetek can claim the experimental expertise that I do possess.

How about a best case scenario?

Should I expect to see 20C, 30C, 40C, 50C, or 60C improvements?

It's like you appear to be saying "we guarantee at least a 13C improvement in your temperatures if you replace your H50 with an H70."

I'm not buying it.

Literally or figuratively speaking.

As to the Heaven Hardware review (bottom of following page);

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1012/pg6/corsair-h70-cpu-cooler-review-thermal-acoustic-performance-43ghz.html

They have a 980X at 4.3GHz, H70 (high speed/CFM) temperature of 74C, while for the H50 (low speed/CFM) it appears as though they used lower CFM fans for the push/pull, and yet they still got 81C, or only a 7C delta.

Now, I know that the delta would be even lower if they used the exact same fans/speeds on both the H50 and H70 (or they need to rerun their tests as we know it's 1600 RPM's versus 2000 RPM's, apples and oranges, as you yourself have stated).

As of right now, I can't afford to drop $110 to find out that my i7-860 still won't OC to 4.2GHz versus the 4.0GHz I currently have. I know that the CPU I do have, has a very steep temperature-voltage curve above 4.0GHz, and the H70 won't get me there, even if it does delivers a 13C improvement (which I highly doubt given the Hexus review).

Don't blame me, once people start posting here, that they don't see a 13C drop in temperatures, across the board, when they do replace their H50 with an H70.

Because they will.

Caveat emptor.

YMMV. :sigh!:

NOTE: It would be nice to know the height of the H70 versus the H50, as it looks like a 120mm fan can overlap the H70 pump, as shown in the Hexus review;

In the very same review your quoting it tells you that the pump is 30mm :p:

The default H50 lower CFM single fan versus two higher CFM fans for the H70?

Thats what comes in the box so reasonable they would test like that , those of us with h50 p/p will likely be using completely different fans as well , we'll all have our preferred fans and if buying the h70 would replace the fans with some high static pressure ones anyhow with that thickness of rad .

Well Hexus has their review of the h70, and they don't come anywhere near a delta of 13C for stock speed under full load versus a push/pull h50.

Firstly see above , also the Hexus review while good was hardly demanding , they ran prime for 30 minutes , a full stability test ~ 8 hours would show the extra cooling reserve of the h70 , not that i would expect Hexus to do that in a review but users like me do and will when the product is available .

Don't blame me, once people start posting here, that they don't see a 13C drop in temperatures, across the board, when they do replace their H50 with an H70.

I would'nt presume that Corsairs target market is h50 users more likely another company's air/liquid cooling . Can't see anyone complaining as the reviews are out there showing the differences although case and position in the home will be a big variable for people , don't know anyone who has their machine on a table in the middle of a room , more like in a corner against a wall .

While I seriously doubt anyone at either Corsair or Asetek can claim the experimental expertise that I do possess.

Too many presumptions , i have no idea what people work at either Corsair or Asetek as they have no idea what i do ( involves 6 data centres sipping 12Mw :bigeyes: )

I'm not buying it.

Thats your choice , from my position i'm waiting for real people reviews once stock gets out , at the moment i'll probably keep my h50 as its performing nicely until its 2 years old and then replace with the h70 or its current replacement but if real people show better than shown improvements i may go for it

Hey guys

Just replaced my H50 for an H70, had no problems at all fitting it in a Silverstone FT02.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/roman59/FT02/P1000317.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/roman59/FT02/P1000319.jpg

Cheers

Archived