Corsair Community

Report Your Success or Failure - X-Series Firmware Update

ewarwoowar

This will hopefully stop the topics on "Whens that update shiz coming out!?! ? "

Nice work that you released it! even if it does have bugs atleast your offering a corsair update aswell

When you flash the drive does it get erased?

This TRIM doesn't support RAID yet does it?

And will this give me anything at all because at the moment i'm running RAID0 with 2 x32 SSDs and one of them is 1.0 and one is 2.0 Just asking if it will actually help at all?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The update is not supposed to erase the drive. Of course we strongly advise a backup before you start anyway. We can't be responsible for data loss.

Currently, no, TRIM is not supported in RAID. This update only adds TRIM support. There is no performance or functionality gain. RAID users will not benefit from this update.

Figured I'd start a thread for users to report on their success or failure in updating their firmware on their X-Series drives.

Hopefully we will see few if any failures.

Figured I'd add the following since the FAQ was updated -- IF YOU HAVE AN X-256 with firmware 1.1 -- There is no need to flash to firmware 2.0 as 1.1 supports TRIM. :biggrin:The X-256 firmware link was removed from the sticky

Update from Yellowbeard. I am hijacking Diecast61s post so I can help everyone posting over multiple threads:

If you have firmware revision 2.0 installed, please disregard this post.

If you have problems flashing the drive and get errors like "Firmware flash failed" or "invalid drive" or something similar and you wish to send the drive to Corsair to have us flash it, please take note of the serial number on your drive.

PLEASE NOTE TO TAKE THE SERIAL NUMBER FROM THE STICKER, AND NOT FROM SOFTWARE

http://www.corsair.com/appslab/xseries/serialnumber.jpg

Once you have this serial number, please go to our TSX program, located here:

http://tsx.corsair.com/

Follow the on-screen guide to get your RMA return number.

BEFORE SENDING YOUR DRIVE TO CORSAIR, PLEASE ERASE THE DRIVE AND BACK UP ANY VALUABLE DATA

All drives sent to Corsair will be wiped before the firmware is flashed, and returned to you with no data on them.

at last, do you need to change to ide to update drive or is it ok to update with AHCI enabled , also, i have a AMD790X board, does AMD sata driver work with Trim or , only standard windows 7 AHCI driver works with Trim ?

Thanks

I had AHCI on and on doing the drive search it could not find anything.

So switched to IDE mode and then it found the drive ok but on going to flash the firmware I got something like

[Error]Unable to Download Firmware!. Bye!

Tried it a bunch of times all the same, this was with a floppy drive BTW.

Am now creating a USB bootable Pen drive to give it another go.

This is driving me up the wall.

Is there a simple method to make a USB pen drive bootable that works with this.

Every method I am using to create a bootable USB drive when I try and load the lower64.exe I am getting an error saying this program is not designed to work with this version of whatever.

I am starting to get sick of this.

I didn't get it to work. Got an error message reading (IIRC):

[Error]Could not download firmware

Then it dumped me back to the C:/ command prompt. Though it's worth noting that this is for a drive that isn't working, I'm considering RMAing it. I was hoping the firmware update would correct the issues I'm having with the drive. But alas, no such luck.

I didn't get it to work. Got an error message reading (IIRC):

[Error]Could not download firmware

Then it dumped me back to the C:/ command prompt. Though it's worth noting that this is for a drive that isn't working, I'm considering RMAing it. I was hoping the firmware update would correct the issues I'm having with the drive. But alas, no such luck.

Just checked it again, the error message is

[ERROR]Firmware download fail!

Not very useful.

• Corsair Employees

PrObE

You should set it to IDE mode as stated in the Guide.

I would try Hot plugging the drive with it at the Command Prompt after you have posted then unplug the drive power and the Data Cable wait about 2 Min then plug it back in and try the command Again.

PrObE

You should set it to IDE mode as stated in the Guide.

I would try Hot plugging the drive with it at the Command Prompt after you have posted then unplug the drive power and the Data Cable wait about 2 Min then plug it back in and try the command Again.

Thx.

I was trying in AHCI mode, will give it a go with IDE. I am sorry but in the guide for the X-series i see no mentioning of IDE-mode, i do in the P-series guide though, was not sure if that applied for the X-series as well.

• Corsair Employees

PrObE

I am sorry it is not stated my mistake; I will have it added. But try that and let us know how you make out!

i get the same message after changing to IDE-mode.

Is Hot plugging and power-off a valid try for this error also?

A: No please do exactly what was stated; Do NOT Power down:

(error) download firmware faild bye

i have downloaded lower case 128gb and moved the lower128.exe to a bootable usb-stick. after reboot i changed the bios (asus p5q deluxe) to ide-mode , rebooted again. the drive was recognized correctly, but after hitting enter above message arrived me.

lower case is " Corsair"

If I try the update on my lowercase 128 X series Firmware 1 and it fails, does the offer to return the SSD to Corsair for updating apply to SSDs sold outside the USA? I am in the UK and bought here.

The instructions refer to booting from a USB device which my motherboard does not seem to support. Can I carry out the same procedure booting from a CD or a Floppy which are both supported or even another Windows OS on a different Hard Drive?

Lastly, are there any specific systems/chipsets that are known quite definitely not to work on this procedure?

Many thanks to Corsair for being brave enough to allow us to try this procedure. The risks are clearly spelled out so we have been duly warned!

If I try the update on my lowercase 128 X series Firmware 1 and it fails, does the offer to return the SSD to Corsair for updating apply to SSDs sold outside the USA? I am in the UK and bought here.

The instructions refer to booting from a USB device which my motherboard does not seem to support. Can I carry out the same procedure booting from a CD which is supported?

Lastly, are there any specific systems/chipsets that are known quite definitely not to work on this procedure?

Many thanks to Corsair for being brave enough to allow us to try this procedure. The risks are clearly spelled out so we have been duly warned!

me too also in the UK, i aint had a go yet using pc at the moment but may do later, this guide ok

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost...57&postcount=1

once you create the bootable flash you copy the lower64.exe file to the flash then reboot once the boot usb gets ya to a c:prompt then type in the lower64.exe command and it should run.

to make a boot usb ??

Thanks

Archived