The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 186 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 439845
RAM GUY Reputation: 10
Default Noisy PSU? Read this first!

If you believe that your PSU is louder than it should be there are a few things you should check before assuming that the PSU is faulty. First, you should be aware of what can cause the noise that you are hearing. If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is either on the PSU, motherboard, or graphics card and you should be able to try a few things to narrow down the issue.

We have seen that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.

We have also seen that some graphics card drivers can contribute to the sound as well. If the problems seem to get worse when loading a 3D application, try booting your system up into safe mode to see if you can still hear the sound. If the sound goes away, then your problem may be software related. We have found that enabling “vsync” in your graphics drivers options can eliminate the sound.

If the previous steps have not eliminated the sound, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure that the sound follows the PSU. If it looks like there is a good chance that the PSU could be causing the problem, then please request an RMA through our Tech Support Express and we will be happy to replace it.

If a replacement PSU gives you identical issues, then chances are that there is something else causing the sound. Keep in mind that the sound can come from the PSU, while the PSU may not actual be the cause of the problem. So it’s important to try to rule out the motherboard and graphics card if possible.

Also keep in mind that our PSUs are quiet, but are not totally silent. If you only hear the PSU when you have the side panel of your case removed, there is probably not a problem at all.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 09-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 AM

POST ID # = 455255
Sir_Hyde Reputation: 10

thanks for all this info, I'm gonna test the PSU out of motherboard, and I will tell you something, but it's strange, in my case the fan always is running wild and the noise is annoying... but it's a new psu... with my old psu don't happens that, it suposed that a new psu will be compatible with all components, dont?. Thanks!.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
smakdiablo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457274
smakdiablo Reputation: 10

Thank-you for this post!

I was about to set up an RMA for the PSU but wanted to check out the Forums first. There was sounds, almost like static coming from the psu, and it, for lack of a better word, "chirped" intermittently. It was on these chirps that the computer would lock and I would have to hard boot

I found this post, I disabled C3/C6 State support which prevented the crashes, but still had the noises. Then I disabled C1E and that got rid of the noise.
CPU EIST didn't seem to make a difference.

I have no idea why this worked, but thanks again.

Question: should I disable EIST anyway?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 AM
LadKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457748
LadKiller Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Hyde View Post
thanks for all this info, I'm gonna test the PSU out of motherboard, and I will tell you something, but it's strange, in my case the fan always is running wild and the noise is annoying... but it's a new psu... with my old psu don't happens that, it suposed that a new psu will be compatible with all components, dont?. Thanks!.
SIR_HYDE not sure how you're going to "test the PSU out of motherboard" as the motherboard tells the PSU when to turn on/off. Without the M/B your PSU will not turn on. (at least it will be quiet) [correct me if i'm wrong] ;)

Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457753
Wired Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadKiller View Post
SIR_HYDE not sure how you're going to "test the PSU out of motherboard" as the motherboard tells the PSU when to turn on/off. Without the M/B your PSU will not turn on. (at least it will be quiet) [correct me if i'm wrong] ;)
Brief PSU Functionality Test
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 PM
FantomAU's PC Specs

POST ID # = 462234
FantomAU Reputation: 10

I was using a 620HX psu w/ my current system and then I got a 850HX and every once in awhile, I will hear a very faint buzzing sound (Right now my systems been up for 2 hrs 30 mins and no buzzing sound).

Doesnt happen all the time.

Last edited by FantomAU; 08-20-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
FantomAU's PC Specs

POST ID # = 462409

Anyone know??

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 462421

What's the question?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
FantomAU's PC Specs

POST ID # = 462422

Should the low buzzin noise be a concern?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 462432

Have you tried any steps from the sticky? Most likely it's nothing though.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
suteck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 463099
suteck Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadKiller View Post

If you put a jumper wire or paper clip from the green wire plug to any black wire plug in the 20/24 pin power connector your power supply will turn on. Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the mobo first of course. Or you can FOLLOW THIS LINK for a little more instruction.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 463102

suteck, I posted a link to the instructions last month, but thanks for the link!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 AM

POST ID # = 472212
Lundin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is either on the PSU, motherboard, or graphics card and you should be able to try a few things to narrow down the issue.
If your PSU starts to sound like a crazy mouse each time it is exposed to a certain external frequency, then how on earth can it pass the EMC tests??? How can such a board possibly conform to laws and standards such as the European EMC directive?

You cannot come blaming the BIOS or some graphics driver for this. If capacitors on your PCB start ringing, it is because of poor DC/DC design in the PSU and nothing else!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

POST ID # = 473150
Coily Reputation: 10

If it is an inductor making the noise:

Noise is usually due to a mechanical resonance in the component that is excited by the electrical conditions of the circuit, a phenomenon known as magnetostriction, and does not indicate a defect in the part. It is very dependent on the application conditions and not always possible to eliminate by changes to the inductor alone. Changing the switching frequency is often the best way eliminate the noise.

Applying a dampening material (electronic-grade encapsulant, potting compound, etc.) may decrease the sound level produced or the increased mass of a larger inductor may dampen or shift the resonance to a different frequency.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM

POST ID # = 473334
Lundin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coily View Post
If it is an inductor making the noise:

Noise is usually due to a mechanical resonance in the component that is excited by the electrical conditions of the circuit, a phenomenon known as magnetostriction, and does not indicate a defect in the part. It is very dependent on the application conditions and not always possible to eliminate by changes to the inductor alone. Changing the switching frequency is often the best way eliminate the noise.

Applying a dampening material (electronic-grade encapsulant, potting compound, etc.) may decrease the sound level produced or the increased mass of a larger inductor may dampen or shift the resonance to a different frequency.

Yes but when doing a proper EMC test at a 3rd party notified body, they don't give a darn whether the phenomenon appearing affects the output voltage or not. If they can conjure an unintended side-effect caused by an external frequency, the device won't pass the test.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: