Corsair Community

Voyager 8 GB flash drive dead, need data recovery

digitalage

I have a Voyager 8 GB and strange things happen when I plugged it into a USB port of a PC. Windows XP detects it and even assigns letter, but the blue light is off all the time and if I try to access it, I get the following messages:

- in Windows Explorer: "Please insert a disk in the drive X:"

- in Total Commander: "ERROR! Drive not found!"

In Device Manager, the drive is identified as "USBest USB2FlashStorage USB Device" [iD: PROD_USB2FLASHSTORAGE]. Very strange, since I own an identical drive which works fine and is identified as "Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device" [iD: PROD_FLASH_VOYAGER].

In Ubuntu is the same - the drive can be seen, but the identification info can't be read (i.e. the capacity can't be identified). And I cannot mount the drive.

The problematic flash drive worked and I have some files to recover from it. Is there any way I get my data back? Is there anyone who can explain what's going on? It looks to me that the electronic board on the flash drive works fine, but the memory module is dead (however, I have no clue how these devices are made).

• Corsair Employee

If the drive is getting a drive letter assigned there is a good chance you may be able to recover some or all of the data.

First if you need to recover some data there are some third party utilities available that may help you if you have some data you need to recover from this site. Or we have a Application Note listed on our web site Application Note AN803 that will have some useful tips and links as well.

If you still have problems, let’s get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I tried several utilities, none of them worked - most of them weren't even able to see the drive letter assigned by Windows. Some of the software tried: BadCopy Pro (JufSoft), EasyRecovery Pro (OnTrack), O&O DiskRecovery, Runtime's GetDataBack and DiskExplorer, Handy Recovery (SoftLogica) and even Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager. The only software which can see the drive is R-Studio, but comparing with an identical working flashdrive, on the bad one is missing or mixing up some info:

- Size = -1 B (0 sectors)

- Phisical drive geometry = missing info

- Device identification = USBest USB2FlashStorage

Is the memory damaged, or chances are that some other electronic part is bad and can be fixed somehow? And, why is the bad flashdrive identified as "USBest USB2FlashStorage"? Is this correct?

Thanks for support, replacing is not what I wanted. I hoped that data can be recovered somehow. Anyways, since it's not possible, I will bring it back to the dealer.

Technically, I don't understand quite well what's going on. I took out the shell and here is what happed. The bad memory was significantly different than the one I own and is working fine, and is identified as Corsair and not USBest.

Questions come again:

1. Where is this "identification" info stored? Is there a ROM part outside the 8 GB of memory which keeps this information, or is it stored somewhere in the 8 GB?

2. What part of electronic is damaged, if the bad drive is identified as USBest, and not as Corsair (good one)?

3. How come the electronics are different, in my own country? Are these flash drives of 8 GB using different controllers (different circuits, different boards)?

• Corsair Employee
1. Where is this "identification" info stored? Is there a ROM part outside the 8 GB of memory which keeps this information, or is it stored somewhere in the 8 GB?

A: The Information is stored in the controller there is a portion of the controller that works like an eeprom were inf data is stored about the drive with some controllers however it is stored in an hidden area of the Flash Ram.

2. What part of electronic is damaged, if the bad drive is identified as USBest, and not as Corsair (good one)?

A: I would not be able to answer that with out seeing the drive, but the FAT Table or MBR has become corrupt why it happened is hard to say with out inspection.

3. How come the electronics are different, in my own country? Are these flash drives of 8 GB using different controllers (different circuits, different boards)?

A: We use more than one controller manufacturer as well as more than one Flash Ram manufacturer, for the same reason a Car manufacturer may use more than one tire manufacturer, Price and availability mostly.

4. Another quick question: if I replace the controller, will the memory be visible?

A: Most likely no, but if its the exact same controller and version maybe. However the controller may only be part of the problem. You can contact a Data Recovery Store but I will warn you the cost can be 2-4 Hundred dollars and you still may not get your data.

Archived