The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Voyager Air and USB Flash Drives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 AM

POST ID # = 300301
ChalkTrauma Reputation: 10
Default 8GB Survivor GT problems

About a week ago I bought a 8GB Survivor GT, upgrading from a really cheap 4GB flash drive.

The speed of the Survivor GT has been great, but I have had some really annoying problems.

I'm running Windows XP sp2 on a IBM T40 Thinkpad. I have the drive formatted FAT32.

I have had problems on both my USB ports as well as with the included extension cable..

I run a lot or apps from the drive as well as store some data on an encrypted volume on the drive..

What happens is I'll be working on something and Windows will start popping up balloons telling me a write operation has failed:

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for.....

or

FastFat will log an error like the following:

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

This then leads to my encrypted volume being corrupted...

If I go into MyComputer or if I'm working at a command prompt I can still see the drive letter (E:). But it I double click on it or try to CD into it I get nothing. It is like the drive is there, but the volume is missing.

A reboot solves the problem.

I don't see anything in the event viewer leading up to the problem, and I don't see any kind of pattern with what I am doing. It seems very random.

I practically live off the flash drive ( I back up weekly ), so having it crap out like this is just not an option. I bought the Survivor for just this reason, to protect my data.

My old flash drive never had this problem, so I don't know what is to blame..

Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 AM

POST ID # = 300311
Andrey Reputation: 10
Question I dont have a problem now. But a concern.

Hello, I dont have any such problems described by you. My stick works fine. (I cant find any encryption soft, though. So i formatted (under Windows2000 GUI) it several times with FAT32 and NTFS to see if i gain more storage space. It displays 7.70GB of available storage. I guess this is a correct number.

No, i have a different problem, better said, a concern:

Using the stick as a keyring pendant for three days only, the two keyholes already show appreciable signs of wear and tear. The keyholes look deformed (from circle to ellipse, not by deformation but by abrasion caused by the attached keyring) and since both holes (on each end of the stick) are not 100% exactly placed in the 'middle' of the 'triangled-corner', i fear that sometime soon (1-2 years) the thinner aluminium 'wall' (the aluminium triangle with the hole has theoretically two 'walls' which could break. The thinner side will break first, of course.) will break through, so that my keyring (with its keys) cannot be attached to the stick any longer.

I dont hope that this material failure (due to wear and tear at the keyholes) will ever happen.

Dear Sir, but *if* it happens, is there then a chance for a free replacement? Or would the 10years-warranty not cover this case?
(I reside in Germany, and I dont know how...etc..)

Thanks for your service and outstanding products!
Regards, Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 06-23-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 PM

POST ID # = 300323

I would think twice before formatting the drive NTFS. NTFS is a journaling file system and will greatly reduce the life of the drive. FAT32 should be good enough for most uses, only use NTFS if you have a specific need for it.

BTW Still experiencing the missing volume syndrome.. Damn.. I really wanted to trust this drive, it was off to such a good start..

Anybody ever seen this problem.. any advice on how to solve it.. or am I looking at a hardware failure and a RMA??
Old 06-23-2007, 01:17 PM

POST ID # = 300328
Post wall thickness

thx for your advice. i ll copy the gigas to my external mini and then format to fat32, no problem. btw, we have 10years of warranty, so such stick life shouldnt worry the user too much.

nice notebook you have. thinkpads are top-notch products, congratulations!
Sorry, still no idea. Some Corsair person will soon help you i guess (and me).

May i ask you, what can you tell us about the centricity of your holes in that triangles? Are your resulting wall thicknesses (of the drilled holes) more or less exactly the same? *IMO* wall thicknesses should always be even, anywhere: house walls, tube walls, insulation thicknesses, etc.

If the hole was drilled in the perfect ("centric") position on the triangle surface, the wall thicknesses would have resulted equal. And i wouldnt have to wonder about the quality of the USB stick production/assembly/manufacture.

From a production engineer's standpoint, these drillings/holes have an unacceptable quality of realization, this is sure.

BUT, if free replacement is given (in case of keyhole fracture) within the time span of granted warranty, then i would stop talking about this production imperfection and simply enjoy their product and service.

Regards, Andrey
Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM

POST ID # = 300340

It's not the warranty I am worried about, it is my data and the downtime I experience when I have to recover from the problem..

Last edited by ChalkTrauma; 06-23-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 300363
Garvin Reputation: 10

ChalkTrauma- it's likely, in order to update the USB drivers for full support of USB devices greater than 4GB, you'll need to download, read the instructions pdf, and run Lenova's "System Update x.x" utility for your exact model version of the T40 and operating system. Just plug this infomation into the following linked to page.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...&validate=true

ps: For the straight T40 notebook, the utility is called "System Update 3.0" dated 2/20/2007.

ps2: if the above link doesn't work, you'll need to get to Lenova, then "Notebooks and Handhelds", then the downloads section. Some customer usage tracking software on websites is so poorly written that they can't handle direct linking.
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/

Last edited by Garvin; 06-24-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:58 PM

POST ID # = 300370

Well right now it seems the download section of levnovo/ibm site is down ( it is giving me a 500 error ), so I will have to wait on that.

In the meantime I tried to backup what was on the flashdrive to my harddrive on my desktop system.. and the exact same thing happened, about 98% of the way through the copy, the volume disappeared, the drive letter is there, but no files are being listed...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 300430
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

ChalkTrauma
I would try using an externally powered USB HUB, I have seen many systems especially Note Books can not provide enough power and might be causing this.
But if you continue to have problems, let's get it replaced please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Andrey
You can get the security software from www.truecrypt.com and yes if the key hole breaks we will replace it.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM

POST ID # = 300445
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
and yes if the key hole breaks we will replace it.
Hello RAM GUY, this is so cool from you / your company. I begin to appreciate CORSAIR as a brand :) Thanks for replying and giving me hope, so i wouldnt be worried any longer!
Let me begin now to toss the stick around, in my room, in the park, outdoors. It has already some scratches (because Aluminium is "soft" compared to hardened stainless steel, or compared to diamonds) but as long as nothing breaks, i am happy. From now on i wont be worried again about keyhole breaks So all my problems solved, i dont need any further assistance regarding the product!

Thanks again for all, especially the service!!!, encryption soft not needed (when i format it ll be dead again anyway, hehe), best regards from Germany
Andrey

PS: i like your biceps. I am about to build up such muscles too. Looks cool. Like the Survivor stick.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:00 PM

POST ID # = 300455

Thanks for the response RAM GUY, you know I suspected the power requirements, because I used USB Device Viewer to look at both my old 4GB and my new 8GB Survivor and noticed that the Survivor was listed as having

MaxPower: 0x32 = 100 mA

Which was a bit higher than my old 4GB drive...

I also changed the FastFat start setting from 4 to 1

We'll see how it goes over the next few days before I take the RMA route.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 300458

NP Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:09 PM

POST ID # = 303279

Just bought a powered USB 2.0 hub, same problems..

I can duplicate the problem almost every time. I have about 4GB on it, and if I try to xcopy the entire contents to a folder on my HD, it gets to random points in the copy and the volume disappears leaving me with just the drive letter. I do not have to reboot I can just unplug and then plug it back in and the volume comes back...

UPDATE: Just happened again this AM and corrupted the main volume ( not truecrypt ) during a write operation, I can't trust it anymore.. I'm headed to the RMA form now..

Last edited by ChalkTrauma; 07-23-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 303334

No problem lets try replacing the drive, but please let me know if it happens again.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

POST ID # = 303367

I'll let you know.. I just got the RMA letter in my email. Funny thing is I got two of them about 30 mins apart. I only clicked submit once.. Did you issue a RMA for me?? Anyway I'm just going to use the one that came in last with the higher RMA number...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 303436

No it was not I, customer service issues the RMA's. But that will be fine to use either one.