The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Hardware Related (Non Corsair Questions) > Motherboards, Processors and Overclocking

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
sierra54's PC Specs

POST ID # = 241897
sierra54 Reputation: 10
Default Asus A8N-SLI 5 beep on start up

After completing a new build and installing XP Pro SP1 then 2 it ran fine for 1-2 days. After that I started to get a five short beep code on startup. This occurs soon after the startup beep, I don't think it's giving a six beep code. After the beeps windows starts up and all programs seem to be running fine. AiBooster will give me the following: CPU: 1.39v Memory: 2.6v PCIE:3.33v FSB:801.1 @2203MHz. CPU temps range from 29-42 C from idle to video processing.

System components:
A8N-SLI ver1.02 bios ver 1013
AMD 3700
eVGA 6800GS
Antec 500W smartpower 2.0
2 liteon dvd drives
WD2500KS SATA HD which only show as 127GB in windows. I'll fix later
Corsair Value Select 2*512

I have searched asus' site and googled this and it may be a cpu failure code. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 241908
Wired Reputation: 16

Welcome to the House of Help!

If your board has it, turn on the diag speech at boot stuff. It basically says some boot info when booting.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 03-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 241960
Garvin Reputation: 10

You have an Award brand bios. A link to the beep codes:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

This may not help as an Award bios has the fewest beep codes defined of any bios writing firm out there. Unfortunately, according to your Asus manual, your system doesn't have a Post Error reporter function. If it were me, I'd disable the AMD K8 Cool and Quit function under Advanced then CPU Configuration in your bios as this has been reported to be buggy with the A8N series board's and certain bios versions. Good luck.
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/
Old 03-26-2006, 03:28 PM
KNUCKLEZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 243194
KNUCKLEZ Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin
You have an Award brand bios. A link to the beep codes:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

This may not help as an Award bios has the fewest beep codes defined of any bios writing firm out there. Unfortunately, according to your Asus manual, your system doesn't have a Post Error reporter function. If it were me, I'd disable the AMD K8 Cool and Quit function under Advanced then CPU Configuration in your bios as this has been reported to be buggy with the A8N series board's and certain bios versions. Good luck.

I have the same CPU and the same Motherboard as you and I have my Cool and Quit -off- oh yeah the stock FSB settings on the 3700 are 200MHz X 11 = core speed 2200MHz, Not 801MHz @ 2203MHz, And shut that AI Booster off, It's safer to OC w/ out inside OS software. Just tweak it in your bios.

Last edited by Wired; 03-26-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM

POST ID # = 247349
mmillson Reputation: 10
Default 5 Beeps

Hi,
I've just replaced the original faulty chip fan on my A8N-SLI Deluxe and since the PC won't boot. (I got a new one sent direct from asus). I get 5 beeps the nothing, no screen activity or anything. If I press the power button it justs shuts off. Occasionally I get into windows with no problems or errors but I don't know what's causing the problem.

I have reset the CMOS and turned off cool n quite. I've also unplugged and removed all of my PCI cards / hard disks and CD-roms except fromm my Graphics Card and the main Hard disk to see if it was them, but I still get the same beeps and no activity.

Cheers

A8N-SLI DELUXE
Athlon 64 3700 Sandiego
ATI X800XL 512MB
2GB DDR400 RAM

Last edited by mmillson; 04-28-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 247446
Garvin Reputation: 10

Alot of the Award bios beep codes aren't documented anywhere easy to find. The five beep code then nothing from what I've read indicates possible corruption in the bios. When you reset your cmos did you remember to unplug all of the power connectors coming from the power supply to the motherboard to force a complete default hardwired reload of the onboard bios. Some supplies can hold a charge for much longer than you would think even when unplugged from the wall. I'd also check to be sure the pushpins on the replacement chipset fan went all the way through the PCB of the motherboard allowing the fan to sit atop the chip flush. With the Asus replacement fan I put on, one of the pins went almost all the way through and gave the impression it was seated correctly but I could see the fan was just the tiniest fraction out of parrallel with the plane of the PCB of the motherboard. An overheating chipset could cause immediate bios/POST corruption as soon as the power is applied and the system starts to run the POST, forcing an immediate shutdown.
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/
Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM

POST ID # = 310503
toomeyzone Reputation: 10
Default Asus A8N-SLI 5 Beeps on Startup

Hey all did anyone ever get a definitive answer to the "5 beeps" on startup for error code the ASUS A8N-SLI A8N-SLI ver1.02?

This just started happening to me. I am running an Athlon FX2 that has been fine for a year and a half.

When powering up, I do not get any video at all - just the 5 beeps.

I have unplugged, cleared CMOS, removed MOBO battery, etc.

I have removed EVERYTHING and re-installed all including the CPU.

I am not able to make any bios changes because I can't get that far.

Help!

Thanks - TOOMEYZONE
Old 10-06-2007, 11:13 PM

POST ID # = 311068
amoretto Reputation: 10
Default Same Problem

I am having the same problem with this 5 beep code. I originally replaced a defective power supply and everything worked fine for about a week. Then one day I booted and heard 5 beeps with nothing displayed on the screen.

When I called Asus they said the 5 beep code means not enough wattage supplied to video card. I had my doubts about that since the 500w I had should be enough for my system, but I went out and bought another 700w PSU. Same Problem.

I then convinced myself it was my mobo, so I sent it back for repair. They first shipped it back without the chipfan fan, so I had to wait 2 weeks for them to ship another one. When I finally got it, I booted and still hear the same 5 beeps. I also tried removing and reseating my CPU, memory and PCI devices with no luck. I am now sure it's a CPU problem. My video card fan works and the powerled is lit, anyone know what else it can be?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM

POST ID # = 345187
CorsairMainUser Reputation: 10
Default 5 beep and/or no beeps without video.

Your post is old, so this may not matter anymore. However, I've had similar problems on two of these boards. The short answer is that it appears that the I/O shield may be somehow shorting and putting the M/B in an inconsistant state. Removing the board from the case or carefully remounting the M/B against the I/O shield brought my machine back to life. I would bet everyone experiencing this problem has recently recofigured their H/W or reseated their M/B. Before discovering this I tried multiple X16 and PCI video cards, memory, cpus, and CMOS resets. ASUS was also stumped. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM

POST ID # = 356379
jglenn81612 Reputation: 10
Default Easy fix

I got the five beeps after attempting to install a new video card. It turned out it was because the card wasn't seated properly. Once I pushed it in all the way everything worked again.