Corsair Community

PCIE vs Peripheral&SATA similarity problem

wiso

I have an RM750i where connector and cables are all black, I inserted my GPU 6pins power cable to a peripheral&sata connector (by error) on my PSU and the system smoked.

what a bad design, making the 6 pins of the 8 pins PCIE similar to the 6pins of peripheral&sata.(see attached picture and focus on red marking connectors, and compare with other brand PSU marked in yellow, blue and green).

please correct me if I'm not right.

connectors.jpg.48179db548bf338deae86d1789a078fb.jpg

• Corsair Employee
I have an RM750i where connector and cables are all black, I inserted my GPU 6pins power cable to a peripheral&sata connector (by error) on my PSU and the system smoked.

what a bad design, making the 6 pins of the 8 pins PCIE similar to the 6pins of peripheral&sata.(see attached picture and focus on red marking connectors, and compare with other brand PSU marked in yellow, blue and green).

please correct me if I'm not right.

If you thought the 6-pin part of your 6+2-pin PCIe went into the motherboard, where exactly did you expect to plug the 8-pin that was supposed to plug into the power supply?

If you thought the 6-pin part of your 6+2-pin PCIe went into the motherboard, where exactly did you expect to plug the 8-pin that was supposed to plug into the power supply?

the problem is if you do it quickly blindly supposing as always, cables does not plug in incorrect connectors. Corsair did not care about this point for no clear reason.

• Corsair Employee
the problem is if you do it quickly blindly supposing as always, cables does not plug in incorrect connectors. Corsair did not care about this point for no clear reason.

If you were using a Corsair cable, this is probably the first time I've heard of someone plugging the cable in backwards. Probably because I don't think the 8-pin side of the cable actually fits into a graphics card. Does it?

Does that equate to this being corsairs fault?

Does that equate to this being corsairs fault?
on computers, we have the habit that cables do not plug in incorrect places, so sometimes we plug it quickly without readings labels (especially that PSU back is hard to read with all comming cables). From this view point, you may consider that it is the fault of Corsair.

• Corsair Employee

I know when I quickly, blindly, suppose something is always the way it was in the past, I get myself in hot water!!!

From this view point, you may consider that it is the fault of Corsair.

No. No I wouldn't. Because I would look at both ends of the cable and determine which went where instead of plugging it in backwards.

The side that plugs into the PCIe graphics card is marked "PCI-E". The side that plugs into the PSU is marked "Type 4".

You can clearly see it in the photos: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/premium-individually-sleeved-pcie-cables-with-single-connector-type-4-generation-3-blue-black

I know when I quickly, blindly, suppose something is always the way it was in the past, I get myself in hot water!!!

No. No I wouldn't. Because I would look at both ends of the cable and determine which went where instead of plugging it in backwards.

The side that plugs into the PCIe graphics card is marked "PCI-E". The side that plugs into the PSU is marked "Type 4".

You can clearly see it in the photos: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/premium-individually-sleeved-pcie-cables-with-single-connector-type-4-generation-3-blue-black

I started by taking the 6+2pins side and connecting it to gpu, I used just the 6 pins of it because my gpu is 6pins version. Then I passed the other side of cable (6pins) to PSU chamber and found it fit peripheral connector, so I plugged it supposing it is correct cause it fit.

it is clear now ?? I know I must read, and I made a mistake, but Corsair did not care about the habit of "correct cable just in correct place", and this have let me make the error.

on computers, we have the habit that cables do not plug in incorrect places, so sometimes we plug it quickly without readings labels (especially that PSU back is hard to read with all comming cables). From this view point, you may consider that it is the fault of Corsair.

Pro tip: As we used to say on Usenet: RTFM! (That's "Read the Friendly Manual" for you newbies). Read the diagrams. Read the cables. Double check all connections before plugging in power. Double check them again before booting. The cables have labels for a reason. Have a multimeter and don't be afraid of using it if there is any question in your mind. This whole things plug in one way is actually relatively new and it's not universal at all. AC '97/HD Audio comes quickly to mind.

Assuming that a convenient coincidence is a universal rule is overly and naively optimistic at best.

• Corsair Employee
I started by taking the 6+2pins side and connecting it to gpu, I used just the 6 pins of it because my gpu is 6pins version. Then I passed the other side of cable (6pins) to PSU chamber and found it fit peripheral connector, so I plugged it supposing it is correct cause it fit.

it is clear now ?? I know I must read, and I made a mistake, but Corsair did not care about the habit of "correct cable just in correct place", and this have let me make the error.

Ok.. So you have the "Y" PCIe cable, correct?

There's two 6-pins labeled "PCI-E", the two +2-pin connectors, which you did not use, and one 8-pin connector labeled "Type 4".

You're saying that you ignored the one 8-pin connector and only plugged in the two 6-pin connectors; one into the graphics card and one into the PSU.

Is that correct?

Pro tip: As we used to say on Usenet: RTFM! (That's "Read the Friendly Manual" for you newbies). Read the diagrams. Read the cables. Double check all connections before plugging in power. Double check them again before booting. The cables have labels for a reason. Have a multimeter and don't be afraid of using it if there is any question in your mind. This whole things plug in one way is actually relatively new and it's not universal at all. AC '97/HD Audio comes quickly to mind.

Assuming that a convenient coincidence is a universal rule is overly and naively optimistic at best.

I'm using computers since about 30 years, I do not remember I have used a one cable that fit in incorrect place (without forcing it). That is the first time it happens to me so I'm angry about it, I sad it is my error, but Corsair helped me doing it for no reason (other brands are brighter as in the demonstration picture I attached in my first post)

• Corsair Employee
I'm using computers since about 30 years, I do not remember I have used a one cable that fit in incorrect place (without forcing it). That is the first time it happens to me so I'm angry about it, I sad it is my error, but Corsair helped me doing it for no reason (other brands are brighter as in the demonstration picture I attached in my first post)

So you assumed that the 8-pin connector with "Type-4" on it wasn't used at all?

That it was somehow redundant and that the user is given the choice to plug in either a 6-pin or 8-pin depending on application.

Interesting conclusion, but that's not how it works.

And.. one more thing.....

The 6-pin that plugs into the graphics card has the clip off center. The clip is actually centrally located if you use all 8-pins. The 6-pin on the PSU has the opening fpr the clip in the center. You would almost have to force the connection in order to get that clip to line up at all (at least to fully seat the connection).

And.. one more thing.....

The 6-pin that plugs into the graphics card has the clip off center. The clip is actually centrally located if you use all 8-pins. The 6-pin on the PSU has the opening fpr the clip in the center. You would almost have to force the connection in order to get that clip to line up at all (at least to fully seat the connection).

and God said let there be light... and there was light!!!

here endeth the lesson!

well Deducted Mr Guru :)

Archived