Corsair Community

H100i V2 cable connections on MSI Z270

danielgutzz

Hi Everyone,

I build my first pc and used the liquid cooler. When I follow the manual the fans dont spin. I plug the 4 pin standalone cable to the CPU_Fan header and connect the 2 radiator fans to the splitter cable coming off of the water block.

This motherboard has a CPU_Fan and a PUMP_Fan along with 4 SYS_fan headers.

I've also tried connecting the 4 pin cable to the PUMP_Fan, connect a radiator fan to the CPU_Fan header and connect a radiator fan to one of the headers on the splitter cable and that results in only one fan spinning. From what ive seen everyone has a diff way of connecting this.

If this has been posted before I do apologize in advanced but ive gone 3 days/nights watching/reading all over the internet and cannot not figure it out.

Connect the H100i v2 to the CPU Fan header. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot and it has limited other uses for case fans. There is nothing special about the Pump fan header, other than its fan control is disabled by default. That is what you need to do for the CPU Fan header.

In the BIOS, you need to set the CPU fan header to provide 12v to the cooler at all times. This can be done several different ways, although the exact steps are usually motherboard or brand specific. 1) Disable the fan control for the CPU fan header. MSI may call this 'SmartFan' or something similar. 2) Set the CPU fan header to PWM and move all the "dots" up to 100%. The second part isn't technically necessary, but it may help prevent confusion and with any desktop software you are using.

If you are using Command Center for case fan control, make sure you do not override the BIOS settings an tune down the voltage to the CPU fan header. You'll need someone using a MSI board to provide more details on the quirks, but it is most likely your fans are not running because they unit is not getting the required start up voltage.

Connect the H100i v2 to the CPU Fan header. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot and it has limited other uses for case fans. There is nothing special about the Pump fan header, other than its fan control is disabled by default. That is what you need to do for the CPU Fan header.

In the BIOS, you need to set the CPU fan header to provide 12v to the cooler at all times. This can be done several different ways, although the exact steps are usually motherboard or brand specific. 1) Disable the fan control for the CPU fan header. MSI may call this 'SmartFan' or something similar. 2) Set the CPU fan header to PWM and move all the "dots" up to 100%. The second part isn't technically necessary, but it may help prevent confusion and with any desktop software you are using.

If you are using Command Center for case fan control, make sure you do not override the BIOS settings an tune down the voltage to the CPU fan header. You'll need someone using a MSI board to provide more details on the quirks, but it is most likely your fans are not running because they unit is not getting the required start up voltage.

it worked! dude thank you so much. I have one last question tho, i see that cpu1 fan is at 1300-1400 rpm is that good?

Hi, I use this thread because I'm in the same trouble with the almost same components (Strix z270i and H100i v2) and I just want to know some things.

On the Strix (Manual here, P29) there is the usual CPU_Fan connector but there is as well a AIO_Pump.

I'm a bit lost about what to connect where. Does the AIO_Pump is usefull for me in my case ? Because I can't connect the pump both on the AIO_Pump and the CPU_Fan.

The two fans of the watercooling are already connected to the two extension that came out of the pump behind the motherboard.

I just want the motherboard to control the watercooling fan speed, and not have them full speed all the time (like a normal cpu cooling).

There is nothing special about the AIO_Pump header, other than it is usually set to 100%/12v by default. It is really just a marketing gimmick on the last two motherboard series. It used to be a CHA_FAN #4, but was renamed. Thankfully, you can reset the header to behave like any other chassis header if you need the connection for a normal case fan -- at least on Asus boards.

You still need something on CPU Fan to boot up. Putting a case fan on there and the H100i v2 on the AIO header has certain disadvantages. The CPU Fan (and OPT) headers are still designed for normal air cooling and air tower fans, with minimal delay options, always on features, and some other hidden characteristics not particularly helpful in a standard case fan. Putting the H100i v2 on CPU fan takes care of the above requirements to boot and since is needs 100%/PWM/"Full Speed" settings in the BIOS, any deficiencies or detrimental parameters of the header are no longer relevant. If this is your first Asus board, also note the OPT header does not have it's own controls. It will mimic whatever settings are applied to CPU_FAN. In this environment, anything connected to OPT will run at 100% maximum all the time. There is no way around this and again, those two headers were really designed to synchronize air tower fans.

Archived