Corsair Community

Corsair Link HDD click

Wabem

Hello! After a lot of listening closely to my computer I have figured out that Corsair link has been making my HDD "click" every 3ish seconds or so. It isn't my primary drive so it's not in use all the time but Corsair seems to be keeping it awake pinging it every few seconds. I only have the one HDD so I can't test if it's with all hard disks. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm running 4.3.0.154 and an H110i.

Thanks!

M S

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you were dead on red-ray, thanks. Snapper, if I close Link it stops. Originally I thought it was the pump itself making the noise but I eventually pinpointed the HDD. Hopefully Corsair will fix this soon although it seems to have persisted through a few versions.

Hello! After a lot of listening closely to my computer I have figured out that Corsair link has been making my HDD "click" every 3ish seconds or so. It isn't my primary drive so it's not in use all the time but Corsair seems to be keeping it awake pinging it every few seconds. I only have the one HDD so I can't test if it's with all hard disks. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm running 4.3.0.154 and an H110i.

Thanks!

M S

Don't you have anything else to do, but to sit and find strange sounds from your computer? If you just sit around 50 -75 cm from your computer you won't hear anything, trust me. I'ts not a problem at all. it doesn't affect performance or cooling.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
It was my understanding we had this fixed some time ago. Do you experience the same behavior when you run HWMonitor instead of Corsair Link?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. CPUID does it too.

For reference, it's a 2TB WD Black drive, specifically wd2003fzex-00z4sa0.

• Corsair Employees

So we use CPUID's SDK for monitoring temperatures and hardware data, so it sounds like a polling issue with the SDK itself. I'll have our team look into it.

In the meantime, your H80i should be able to run just fine without the Link software if you want to avoid thrashing your drive.

Hi there!

I'm so glad I found this thread, my head was going to explode trying to figure out what the problem was..

I have just purchased the Corsair LL120 RGB fans, obviously I needed the Link software. Last night, I was just about to head to bed, when I heard this clicking sound every three seconds or so. I had my ears to every part of my chassis trying to figure where it was coming from. I took off one side so I could get near to my 2TB Seagate barracuda HDD, and sure enough it was that. My first thought was, it's failing. It wasn't until the next day (after a reboot) that the sound had stopped. I proceeded to open Link, and that's when I figured out that it was Link causing my drive to click. I do hope something can be done, because it is extremely irritating!

Kind regards.

I have the same issue. I even sent my Toshiba X300 6TB for RMA replacement by the time I noticed that Corsair Link was causing the trouble.

The symptomps are identical... HDD is clicking every ~3-5 seconds. When I disable CL, the problem disappears. When I enable HWMonitor, everything is OK, no clicking, so please, fix this Corsair :roll:

Or just maybe allow us to disable the hardware monitor feature in upcoming version of CL for us to be able to only control our beautiful RGB RAM sticks ;):

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
We've put in with the developer of the CPUID SDK to take a look at this issue.

Welcome I have been watching this forum closesly for some time yet registered now bnecause I wanted to reply on that thread too..

I have same issue as for corsair link makes by both hdd doesnt want to stop spinning (spins up them even when i force to spindown) after few seconds, known issue. I have 2 hdd Wd and seagate dont recall proper names for now (can deliver in nessesary) yet what i would really love from Link would be:

Ability to change if we want to monitor disk temp and such in options menu so if the issue appears in future we wouldnt be stuck in never spinning down hdd just because we want/will be in newer version of corsair software :)

cheers!

• Corsair Employees

I've put in for a future release to allow you to hide sensors which would be an alternative way to solve the problem, but the root issue is still the drive being thrashed by the CPUID SDK and that shouldn't be happening. So we still need to fix that.

It's my understanding we've reproduced it internally, so progress is being made, but we have to coordinate with CPUID's developer to resolve it.

Really? I have been chasing a noise my PC had been making for the past few weeks. I was looking everywhere and at everything. While it sounded like a hardware noise, I did not discount it being related to software. However, I never thought it could be Corsair Link!

I checked each of my hard drives; tested each one. Even my OS drive. Checked my PSU. Checked out fans. Even went so far as to take out my LED lighting. Never thought to also remove or disable my software for it.

I sent like 5 tech support tickets to various people and companies. Even talked to my tech support guy.

We thought it could be my aging and out of warranty AiO liquid cooler. I was getting ready to install a new one pretty soon.

Now I'm testing how things sound without CL. Wish me luck.

I've put in for a future release to allow you to hide sensors which would be an alternative way to solve the problem, but the root issue is still the drive being thrashed by the CPUID SDK and that shouldn't be happening. So we still need to fix that.

It's my understanding we've reproduced it internally, so progress is being made, but we have to coordinate with CPUID's developer to resolve it.

So glad to see this issue is being worked on... it's been driving me nuts. The option to toggle what sensors are monitored is an excellent addition, even if the issue with CPUID SDK is eventually figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue. It's obvious that Link keeps the drive running while monitoring. The best solution imo would be to add the option of selecting which devices we would like Link to monitor.

I have Corsair H80i v2, Corsair Commander PRO and 4 Corsair fans. All great hardware to be honest, but Link is driving me nuts.

So basically I can save a profile for the H80i, and then I can quit and disable link. The profile will be saved in the hardware, and that saves the disk from spinning all the time. But the problem is that for the Commander (and the fans connected), no such option is available, so I have to keep Link running.

Please push the fix higher on the priority list!

I'm experiencing the same issue. It's obvious that Link keeps the drive running while monitoring. The best solution imo would be to add the option of selecting which devices we would like Link to monitor.

I have Corsair H80i v2, Corsair Commander PRO and 4 Corsair fans. All great hardware to be honest, but Link is driving me nuts.

So basically I can save a profile for the H80i, and then I can quit and disable link. The profile will be saved in the hardware, and that saves the disk from spinning all the time. But the problem is that for the Commander (and the fans connected), no such option is available, so I have to keep Link running.

Please push the fix higher on the priority list!

Note that it's not entirely Link's code ... it's coming from CPUID. And, as long as the control variables are from temp sensors on the C-Pro, I'm 95% sure that you can quit Link and it'll run the fans too.

Archived