Corsair Community

Transporting AIO Coolers

Shad0wlife

Hey everybody!

I'm purchasing stuff for my new computer at the moment and I am thinking about AIO cooling for my CPU (probably a H110i GT(X)).

The thing is: that computer will be moved around some times (to my friends' places, LAN-Parties etc.).

Now I am somewhat insecure whether an AIO cooler is safe to transport by car. Our roads are in good shape, though there are some occasional speed bumps (or whatever you want to call them). I've got a blanket to wrap around the case, but I'm not sure if that does the trick.

Transporting would be done with the case lying on the side, components facing up, in the trunk or with the case standing on a seat and fixed by a seatbelt (whatever works better/more safely --> recommendations?).

If you have experience with this issue, please share! :):

Also, I understand that all the devices should work normally on a new 1151 socket (due to 115x CPU cooling mounts). Is that correct?

Thanks for helping,

- Shad0w

I think the closed loop water cooling system is about the least likely component in your system to damaged in travel. The radiators themselves just don't spring a leak without serious and intentional piercing force. The hose connections would have to been yanked on with deliberate intent or be very aged from years of use in high heat before that would become an issue. This is an advantage closed loop coolers have over a custom set-up. I would be more concerned about HDD's, memory sticks, or most other things went it comes to bumps here and there. A closed loop with be a much safer bet than a large air tower.

The only thing that comes to mind is turning the case around, lying it down, etc. may cause your pump to gurgle a little on the next power on. You'll hear a few seconds of water flow. This is not actually a problem, however sometimes you can create a little air pocket that makes the pump sound loud. Usually this works itself out in a few hours or sometime by shifting the case while the pump is running. Om the smaller single fan units, this is rarely an issue. With some of the a larger ones like the H110's, it seems to be a bit more common. I have taken my Air 540 and it's H110 for a spin on a couple of occasions. Zero problems in transport, but I do consistently get the pump noise for a while anytime I turn my case over -- no driving required.

You should be good to go on Z170. Someone posted here last night with good base temperatures on a H110i.GT

When transporting an AIO there is not that much that you need to worry about. The only thing that could possibly happen is having air bubbles move around in the loop causing some noise until they have been forced out of the pump.

Other then that I think you are good to go as the fans can't be damaged easily by the kind of jostling that can happened in a card trip and the Rad should be firmly mounted in the case and unless something slams into it should be fine.

So I would say don't worry about it, at most you might have to put up with some gurgling for an hour or two.

Hope this helps :D

Ok, awesome!

As that sounds rather good (whats two hours of some little noise with a cool PC compared to a hot, noisy notebook :): ), I'm probably going to go with a H110i GT because of the reported firmware issues of the GTX and the option to use temperature dependent RGB lighting.

Really looking forward to some reliable cooling now.

Thanks for your help guys!

Archived