The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE)

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 05:45 PM
CUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 763184
Corsair James Reputation: 41
Default Statement from Andy Paul (CEO) regarding 16.8 Million Colors and RGB Keyboards

"I have read several forum comments from RGB keyboard customers asking about 16.8 million color support. I know we have been updating customers on the status and challenges of our 16.8M color software development work on our forums but I wanted to give you a personal update.

When we designed the RGB keyboards, our goal was to give users the ultimate gaming keyboard with the most advanced color customization and lighting effects available. We achieved these goals with unique multi-color per key lighting, layered animation effects, and extensive customization software. We also planned and promised support for 16.8M colors. The keyboard and its lighting controller was designed to support 16.8M colors, and while we have made progress with this we do not yet have a software solution that provides a better overall lighting experience than the current version.

I believe, and hope most of our customers agree, that we’ve built the most advanced gaming keyboard on the market, but we have more work to do. Based on recent feedback from our QA team and customers in our beta program, our engineering team estimates it will take another 8 weeks before we can release a software update that supports 16.8M colors. We apologize to those that want 16.8M color support. We realize that this is a long time to wait, so we are continuing to offer customers the option of returning their keyboard to us by contacting us at KBinquiries@corsair.com. For customers that are enjoying the advanced lighting that your keyboard offers today, we thank you and we hope you like the new enhancements we are working on for you."

- Andy Paul
CEO and Founder

Last edited by Corsair James; 02-27-2015 at 06:40 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 PM

POST ID # = 763195
AkaSmallzz Reputation: 10

Any idea when the freezing will be fixed? or is this going to be a problem for a longer period of time?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM

POST ID # = 763196
Vedic Reputation: 10

Thanks for the heads-up, but i believe there are more important flaws with the keyboard software/firmware that, in my opinion, should be fixed prior to the 16.8M color support. The lighting freezes, slow POST, excessive resource usage by CUE, just to name a few.

I'm looking forward to the 16.8M color support, but what good is it if the lighting keeps freezing randomly.

Last edited by Vedic; 03-02-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 PM
QuadraKev's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763215
QuadraKev Reputation: 14

"Based on recent feedback from our QA team and customers in our beta program, our engineering team estimates it will take another 8 weeks before we can release a software update that supports 16.8M colors."

Can't wait! It's great to have a defined ETA. Let's hope 8 weeks is accurate.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Assimilated Smurph
sudson's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763221
sudson Reputation: 10
Default Comprehensive Patch in 8 weeks?

Thank you Andy and James for your continued vigilance in updating and patching the RGB line.

I am thoroughly enjoying my K95 and will continue to assist in posting bugs and trying to work out other flaws during the maturing phase of the product's life.

At the end of the 8 weeks during which you say that the 16.8M colour customization will be worked on I think there are more base features that should be attended to such as stated by other users.

While the 16.8M colour support is what the keyboard claims, it is not a fully functioning keyboard at the moment. For a wide variety of users and system configurations caps Lock freezing, steam incompatibility, other usb device conflict are common issues. There are issues that I dearly hope will be included in the 16.8M update in approximately 8-10 weeks. A comprehensive update to fix the most glaring issues, such as users having to either unplug the board or flip to BIOS and back in order to restore lighting, would be appreciated by the entire community.

This keyboard is a cutting edge tool for gaming, productivity, and tinkering for any and all who enjoy exploring colour theory and design. I patiently look forward to future updates and what they bring.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:16 AM

POST ID # = 763232
Sick_STi Reputation: 10

how come no mention of the new update 1.5.80?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:41 AM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763238
remilton Reputation: 10

I can wait eight weeks. I am still a very happy K96 RGB customer as this is the best keyboard I have ever owned, including my "Deck Legend".

Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 AM

POST ID # = 763248
DarkStarrFOFF Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedic View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, but i believe there are more important flaws with the keyboard software/firmware that, in my opinion, should be fixed prior to the 16.8M color support. The lighting freezes, slow POST, excessive resource usage by CUE, just to name a few.

I'm looking forward to the 16.8M color support, but what good is it if the lighting keeps freezing randomly.
You do have to remember these are edge cases not a majority so they are clearly not something that their teams can easily reproduce. Also, what do you mean "excessive resource usage by CUE"?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Power to the Punch
Powerpuncher's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763272
Powerpuncher Reputation: 10

I am quite happy with what the keyboard has to offer right now and I don't have any major issues like some others here on the forum have. The 16.8m colors are still pretty important for me, though, so a statement from the CEO is definitely reassuring. Let's see what'll come of it.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 AM

POST ID # = 763298
Vedic Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarrFOFF View Post
You do have to remember these are edge cases not a majority so they are clearly not something that their teams can easily reproduce. Also, what do you mean "excessive resource usage by CUE"?
I'm personally not experiencing the slow POST issue, but still i feel it's something that should have priority over the color support, that's my opinion anyway.

About the resource usage, CUE has a very ineffective way of loading its data into the systems memory. More info in these posts: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136675, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=134956, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...-memory-usage/

Last edited by Vedic; 03-02-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 AM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763306
remilton Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedic View Post
I'm personally not experiencing the slow POST issue, but still i feel it's something that should have priority over the color support, that's my opinion anyway.

About the resource usage, CUE has a very ineffective way of loading its data into the systems memory. More info in these posts: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136675, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=134956, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...-memory-usage/
The problems that effect the fewest customers are often the most difficult to fix, especially if it is difficult to reproduce on Corsairs computers. The color support effects all customers and is better understood so gets more attention.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM

POST ID # = 763308
Mchmanfre3 Reputation: 10

I just wanted to drop in and say this, as while I appreciate your stopping to give us an update, I feel that you are missing a critical point. Personally, I could care less about having access to 16.8 million colors, and I understand where you are coming from with the " we’ve built the most advanced gaming keyboard on the market". I agree with that statement....

HOWEVER, I think the issue here that upsets people the most, is that we have thrown our faith and our money in your direction under the assumption that the product you actively sought to sell us, was the product that we received.
This of course is the most basic and important bond between a retailer and its customers. That bond was damaged pretty badly here. To knowingly provoke the purchase of a product that does not do what has been regarded as one of its biggest selling points, is a giant middle finger in the face of people, like myself, who have been dishing out my hard earned cash, to your company, for many years.

I understand that your team is working very hard, and I thank them for that! But, this is not an issue with the team of people making the product. It is an issue of lying to customers and us now being left in a position of little to no GOOD recourse aside from having to decide whether we choose to return a product that we otherwise love, or adopt the "just deal with it" mentality that comes with being sold a product that doesn't meet the standards to which many of us made our decision to purchase it off of.
I normally would not have commented, and I know this has all been said at some point or another, but I felt it needed to be reiterated as the final paragraph of your post comes off rather rude. How about thanking NOT JUST the people who are happy with the product, but all of those who aren't. The people who are happy with the product shouldn't need your thanks, its those that are not that you should be thanking for sitting around and not returning a product, giving you the opportunity to make your mistakes right.

This is not the gaming software industry. We don't need Alpha, early access products. We do not need you to RUSH the product into our hands, incomplete. I have come to expect from Corsair, finished, and quality products, of which I don't have to check forums every week for fixes that should have been standard.

I am personally happy with my purchase of the k70 rgb as it meets every one of MY needs. I have and continue to recommend this keyboard to my friends and family. But, if there were an alternative of equal quality, I would recommend that because there is a level of trust that has been broken here, and something about this forum post does not scream to me that there is an attempt to rebuild it. Rather this comes off as an attempt to thank those who are happy even though you lied, and reiterate that you still made a good product OTHER THAN the part about it not being what was advertised.

I'm sure a few of you will crucify my for this post, but I don't much care. This is just how the update struck me.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM

POST ID # = 763317
noname2 Reputation: 10

And why is it that you still advertise that thing with 16.8 million colors when you have apparently known for well over 4 months that this just isn't the case?

I hope this has consequences for you. I don't want to see such lies turning into an acceptable business method. Because if you get away with it then why wouldn't you do it again and why shouldn't other companies follow?

I'll send that keyboard back to the shop on monday. What a waste of time. Expect me to pay almost $250 for a keyboard and then the only reason to buy it (could have bought a cheaper K70 otherwise) lives up to a whooping 0.003% of the advertising.

I hope you intend to compensate all shops stocking your "most advanced gaming keyboard". The shop unfortunate enough to sell that thing to me now loses money because of your lies.
Not only do they have to pay my shipping cost, they are now also stuck with a keyboard they can't sell as new anymore.

Although I'm not required to provide any reason for returning this item I'll take the extra time to explain them that Corsair deliberately gave them a product that they knew doesn't work as advertised. Maybe fire your marketing department or whoever thought it was a brilliant idea to approach the release of this product in such a stupid way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
For customers that are enjoying the advanced lighting that your keyboard offers today, we thank you and we hope you like the new enhancements we are working on for you."
You got to love marketing bla bla. Where making the product do what its supposed to do can get called an "enhancement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchmanfre3 View Post
I'm sure a few of you will crucify my for this post, but I don't much care. This is just how the update struck me.
Interesting how some people blindly defend anything, isn't it?
If Corsair would kick kittens then surely some people would defend that too.

Last edited by noname2; 02-28-2015 at 02:02 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM
The Crazy Developer
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763325
terabyte Reputation: 44

For those in this thread that haven't noticed, Corsair released an update for CUE (1.5.80) which fixes the memory issue mentioned in the posts above, along with fixes for several other issues and some new features. More details on the new version/changes here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138299

Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
OC & HW Enthusiast
Medieval Nerd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763327
Medieval Nerd Reputation: 22

Excelsior!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: