The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 681523
RAM GUY Reputation: 10
Default Potential thermal issue with RM750 and RM850

The Corsair RM series power supplies are designed to run without active cooling for up to 40% load at typical room temperatures (25°C, or 77°F) and are capable of continuously outputting 100% of output capability at ambient temperatures of up to 40°C (104°F). We have found that our power supplies are typically used in environments much lower than 40°C and tend to have some natural aspiration within the chassis that allows for some air movement, such as from a nearby graphics card or chassis fan, within the PSU housing, when temperatures exceed normal room temperatures. We have found that this normal aspiration can maintain Corsair’s Zero-RPM fan-less mode even at temperatures as high as 35°C (95°F) when only at 40% load for durations of up to 15 minutes.

Thanks to recent feedback provided by an early reviewer, we have discovered a PSU fan operation issue that can be triggered with the RM750 and RM850W under highly unusual operating conditions. For the issue to occur, the PSU must be run for more than 15 minutes at:
  • Ambient temperature 35°C (95°F) or higher
  • Zero ambient airflow, i.e. no airflow provided by system fans or by fans on other components

Under these conditions, impacted PSUs may shut down before the cooling fan starts spinning. This shutdown will cause no damage to the PSU or the system. As these conditions are extraordinarily harsh, we believe most users will not be impacted. If you feel you have a unit that has been impacted, we are offering advance replacement returns for the PSU, with Corsair paying all freight costs. Please click here for instructions on how to obtain a replacement unit, or to ask any questions.

Thank you for choosing Corsair; we are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.

Update - November 14, 2013:
In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. The thermistor circuit that is used to measure the temperature for the fan controller and OTP has been changed in all RM750 and RM850 PSU’s moving forward. An additional resistor has been added that will result in the fan turning on prior to the condition that causes the PSU to shut down in the event that temperatures exceed 45°C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
The affected units are in lot codes < 1341 (the first four digits of the S/N.)

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 03-17-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 AM
A.M.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 682503
A.M. Reputation: 10
Default Rm1000

Is RM1000 also affected by this issue?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Bigwave's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682544
Bigwave Reputation: 10

Just had this exact issue happen to me with an RM750 purchased last week.

Room isn't even close to 35c ambient, more like 25c. Machine is built in a quiet 330r Corsair case, low airflow.

Disappointing to say the least.

Tried to make a ticket and couldn't because it isn't even in the system, but luckily had a chat support person assist with things so far and start a ticket on your end.

Hopefully this goes smoothly.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Corsair Tech Mktg

POST ID # = 682548
Yellowbeard Reputation: 36
Send a message via AIM to Yellowbeard

It will, we're on top of this. We're sorry you had an issue and we'll take good care of you.

Make friends on Facebook: XMSYELLOWBEARD

Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Corsair Tech Mktg

POST ID # = 682549
Yellowbeard Reputation: 36
Send a message via AIM to Yellowbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
Is RM1000 also affected by this issue?
No, it is not. RM750 and RM850 only, as the title says.

Make friends on Facebook: XMSYELLOWBEARD

Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Corsair Employee
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682550
jonnyguru Reputation: 35
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwave View Post
Just had this exact issue happen to me with an RM750 purchased last week.

Room isn't even close to 35c ambient, more like 25c. Machine is built in a quiet 330r Corsair case, low airflow.

Disappointing to say the least.

Tried to make a ticket and couldn't because it isn't even in the system, but luckily had a chat support person assist with things so far and start a ticket on your end.

Hopefully this goes smoothly.
If the room is only 25°C and internal temps are 35°C, the PSU shouldn't shut off. What are you powering with that PSU and how is the PSU oriented in the chassis (fan up or fan down)?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Bigwave's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682580

PSU is installed fan down. Had a few shut downs while gaming the past week and couldn't understand why, but seems this is the likely cause. Had to flip the switch on and off in the back to get it going again.

Haven't heard the fan spin up (Not supposed too I know) that I'm aware of, even while gaming.

Powering an i5-4570, 2x4gb Vengeance Ram, a single GTX660, Asus Xonar Soundcard, 2 hard drives, 3 fans (one on Hyper 212 CPU cooler) spinning really (400 rpm) slowly. Nothing too elaborate.

I don't imagine it gets over 50% load much, if ever. Bought the 750w to have way more than I needed right now....keep it quiet.

Last edited by Bigwave; 11-13-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Corsair Employee
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682583
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Well.. that certainly does sound like an OTP issue! So yeah... the fan isn't turning on and the PSU is shutting down. I hope they get another unit to you quickly.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Bigwave's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682885
Default Advanced Replacement?

"we are offering advance replacement returns for the PSU"

That's a quote from the above post, yet my RMA was just approved and says the following....

"Once Corsair physically receives your item, your replacement will be processed and shipped"

Looks like I have to wait for you to physically receive my PSU before you'll send me another one..or am I reading this wrong?

In other words I'd be better off returning it to the store and buying an alternative so I'm not with a machine for a considerable amount of time.

Any way we can make this not the case? My RMA # is 6252667, if anyone from corsair needs it.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Bigwave's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682927
Default Going smoothly now.

I want to post here and thank whoever is responsible for taking care of me today.

Received a tracking and confirmation of a replacement being shipped out, as well as a prepaid return label.

Very happy with how things are going now, and really appreciate the great customer service.

Thanks again.

Quick question to add....

I'm curious on how the update and fix will work out. Any insight from the PSU guru?

Last edited by Bigwave; 11-15-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Corsair Employee
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 682932

Apparently the re-worked units have an additional thermistor that will start the fan before the OTP trigger.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:18 PM
ICDP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 683025
ICDP Reputation: 10

Hi,

I registered here to ask a question on these PSUs. I purchased an RM850 PSU on the 7th Nov from Dabs.com in the UK. The PSU was sent direct from Corsair so I would like to know if my PSU is an updated model that has this issue resolved.

Is there a way I can check to ensure it is the updated model?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Corsair Employee
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 683029

Well, an 850W is quite a lot of power for the rig you're powering, but you can try running Furmark and Prime95 together at the same time to put a load on the PSU and if the fan turns on, you're good. The problem occurs when the OTP trips the PSU off PRIOR to the fan turning on.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 AM
ICDP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 683076
ICDP Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Well, an 850W is quite a lot of power for the rig you're powering, but you can try running Furmark and Prime95 together at the same time to put a load on the PSU and if the fan turns on, you're good. The problem occurs when the OTP trips the PSU off PRIOR to the fan turning on.
Thanks for the very prompt reply and the advice. While an RM850 might seem a lot for my system I do plan on overclocking and going SLI soon. So regardless of the fact the PSU can handle my system without problems now, i am thinking of the future.

Is there is a way to tell by looking at the PSU if it has the fix applied? If not I will simply do the prepaid RMA to get a replacement regardless.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Corsair Employee
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 683121

If you have no way to test it because your load is so small that it would never trigger the fan or trip the OTP, then the best advice I can give you is to RMA it regardless just so you don't have to deal with it once you do get the second card and start overclocking.

The affected units are in lot codes < 1341 (the first four digits of the S/N.)