Corsair Community

Corsair Link and Windows 8.1 UPDATE

Corsair George

• Corsair Employees

UPDATE 12/19: Windows 8 / 8.1 Support is live! Beta 2.5.5145

Hey guys, quick heads up.

Our 8.1 testing of Corsair Link has been pretty eventful and requires some significant modification. We're making some changes on the way the USB device is identified as well as on the .NET side.

Once we're through with our internal testing process, we will release it here in BETA mode for a limited time for you to test and report bugs and incompatibilities.

Once that BETA is complete we will update the build on our website and here in the forums to the most recent, Windows 8.1 compatible build.

The timeline depends on how the stability and compatibility testing goes and how many bugs are reported in the BETA. We hope to have a Windows 8.1 BETA available in the next 4-6 weeks here on the forum.

I apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this may cause you.

Update: 12/9:

Quick update guys - the first revision of the software we were testing had a major flaw and was unable to be released. We've addressed it and have a new Beta that we're much more comfortable with and we'll have it released as soon as possible.

Ever since I upgraded my windows to 8.1, my Corsair Link (latest version) cannot detect my H100i and the fans on it. I have tried to unpluged the USB, rebooted, removed the whole software including the profile file, none of them work. Now only the CPU, display cards, and hard disk can be displayed on the Corsair Link. Help Please.

This should be implemented in software or firmware:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676000&postcount=19

By using this tweak my CorsairLINK started to operate normally.

So far I have no problems, nor did I noticed any side effects.

I am glad that worked for you, but it doesn't work for many on here who's Corsairlink won't even startup without crashing in Windows 8.1.

Thank you for the info, but this is really poor form, Win 8.1 has been available to developers for at least a month or two now in preview and rtm modes.

It took Microsoft 12 months at the minimum to develop and release 8.1 with god knows how many people working on it.

So Corsair have had at the max 8 weeks to

1. Determine what has changed,

2. How that affects their product

3. To fix it

4. To test it

5. To release it

I think they are doing OK but then I run Windows 7

It took Microsoft 12 months at the minimum to develop and release 8.1 with god knows how many people working on it.

So Corsair have had at the max 8 weeks to

1. Determine what has changed,

2. How that affects their product

3. To fix it

4. To test it

5. To release it

I think they are doing OK but then I run Windows 7

Same thing goes for every companies that produce every single part of your computer such as mainboard, videocard, soundcard, harddisk, ssd, keyboard, mice, webcam, monitor, even usb flash memories and dvd-rewriters...

So in my case, no company needed to have 4-6 weeks to adjust their products drivers for Win8.1 but Corsair.

I don't want to sound mean, but isn't it suppose to be easier than a 6 week job ?

I follow the steps about USB and Regedit, and now i can see all the temps and fans on LINK2, but i still have a problem. The only color that i can see on the pump is BLUE and not RED or YELLOW.

weird, right? May you help me.

Thanks

Same thing goes for every companies that produce every single part of your computer such as mainboard, videocard, soundcard, harddisk, ssd, keyboard, mice, webcam, monitor, even usb flash memories and dvd-rewriters...

So in my case, no company needed to have 4-6 weeks to adjust their products drivers for Win8.1 but Corsair.

I don't want to sound mean, but isn't it suppose to be easier than a 6 week job ?

Just because Microsoft gives a max of 8 weeks it does not mean that is enough time It all depends on what has changed and how much of it affects you. It sounds like the changes have had a fairly major impact on Link. I would prefer them to take a bit of time and get it right.

This is one of the major reasons I am not an early adopter.

I have been running windows 8.1 since it was released as a preview. The reason I wanted to test it as soon as it was available was because I am a computer enthusiast. I like anything cutting edge, and want to be on the forefront of tech no matter if it is hardware or software. I had access to this software as a consumer since a couple of months ago. I would expect that a company as big as Corsair, would also have access to it for as long as I have, and would have been thoroughly testing it on all the hardware they could so they could be ready for its final release. Any other big brand name hardware companies that I deal with for parts, have released updates before the final version of windows 8.1 was released. My motherboard, my video card, sound card and mouse were all updated previous to the final. I expect that a company such as Corsair would support the technology they produce with software updates in a timely manner. The fact that you guys were not testing, and finding a solution to this issue since day one of the beta release of widows 8.1 makes me wonder if you actually consider who it is that the vast majority of your consumers are. We are not old ladies sitting around drinking tea, and eating biscuits... we are bleeding edge computer enthusiasts who pay a lot of money for your products, and expect better from you. The way I see it, you guys have really dropped the ball on this. The fact that a user in your forums has come up with a hack job solution before you, is even more reason for you to feel ashamed and work even harder to provide a solution to us. If this is how Corsair is going to do business, I will find my parts somewhere else next time. I hate writing things like this Corsair, I really do... but this is poor performance, from a high performance company. You guys can do better than this, and you should!

From the Windows Compatibility center;

29 of 34 people voted the Samsung Galaxy S II compatible

15 of 18 people voted Adobe Photoshop compatible

95 of 113 people voted Samsung Galaxy S III compatible.

Even on Microsoft Office Project 2007 4 out of 51 found it not compatible, nearly 10%, and this is a Microsoft Product!!

If you live on the cutting edge, then sometimes you will bleed.

If you live on the cutting edge, then sometimes you will bleed.

I expect that I will be facing issues with beta software, and did so with the 8.1 preview release and corsair link using the hack method provided by clever member here in the forums. This is no longer 'cutting edge' its old news, and they have had plenty of time to figure out the issue. Its not since the RTM that they have been capable of testing, its since before the preview was made public.

You don't run windows 8.1, you run windows 7 and are not even affected by this issue. What are you even doing commenting in here?

No I don't work for or have any connection with Corsair, other than using their products.

I do have a lifetime in software development at all levels.

And am just applying my own hard won experience.

Microsoft owns this release, they have been developing and testing it for god knows how long and I see today that the release stops some of it's surface tablets from starting up and problems have been experienced with IE 8.1 using Outlook (their own product) and some Google services. So the update has been removed for RT while they try and find out what has gone wrong.

So will you condemn Microsoft in the same way?

After all they have had a much longer time frame and a total control over what they do.

And they still haven't got it right!

Microsoft did not develop corsair link. Corsair developed corsair link. You cant blame Microsoft for Corsair not testing their own products on a OS that would be released to the public as a free upgrade from windows 8. The fact that its free, makes it even more likely that people who have been using windows 8, will upgrade and even more incentive for Corsair to be checking to make sure the hardware they have been selling us is compatible with it.

This has nothing to do with how Microsoft is doing, but if something on my system was broken because of Microsoft I sure as hell would be wanting them to fix it, and would ask them to as I have here. Would you be in the Microsoft forums defending them?... If I ever need a lawyer, can I call you?

Sorry but I remember trialling Windows 1.0, so the work in progress goes back well before 3.1 :sunglasse

yes it was,i recall having tons of floppies with different .bat files to load in order to run programs.on more topic tho,i feel corsair will come thru with workable software judging from what ive seen so far..,its just that things takes time

Microsoft did not develop corsair link. Corsair developed corsair link. You cant blame Microsoft for Corsair not testing their own products on a OS that would be released to the public as a free upgrade from windows 8. The fact that its free, makes it even more likely that people who have been using windows 8, will upgrade and even more incentive for Corsair to be checking to make sure the hardware they have been selling us is compatible with it.

This has nothing to do with how Microsoft is doing, but if something on my system was broken because of Microsoft I sure as hell would be wanting them to fix it, and would ask them to as I have here. Would you be in the Microsoft forums defending them?... If I ever need a lawyer, can I call you?

Certainly, but I only understand what my life's experience has taught me. Would I be defending Microsoft? depends on the circumstances.

I quoted the problems just as an illustration that software development is not easy or quick, especially when things change underneath you and you have no control over them.

I suppose the best analogy I can offer is your electricity supply company sends you a letter saying in 8 weeks we will be changing the voltage we supply to your house, but we are not yet sure what to. It will probably be 180V but this may change.

Please update all your wiring and appliances accordingly.

yes it was,i recall having tons of floppies with different .bat files to load in order to run programs.on more topic tho,i feel corsair will come thru with workable software judging from what ive seen so far..,its just that things takes time

Oh Happy days, spending hours feeding floppies into an XT. Could have downloaded it, but there was no internet and at 2,400 baud I would still be waiting now.

It would have been better if we had all stuck to Gods true language, IBM 370 Assembler!!

And Yes I think Corsair are committed to providing a solution.

It's not a matter of blame, it is a matter of resources, information, change notification and time!

Link is actually a pretty unique concept! Corsair is basically a hardware company, so I doubt they can afford to have thousands of people working on this.

I suppose the best analogy I can offer is your electricity supply company sends you a letter saying in 8 weeks we will be changing the voltage we supply to your house, but we are not yet sure what to. It will probably be 180V but this may change.

Please update all your wiring and appliances accordingly.

No, its not like that at all. The preview has the exact same changes to the USB stack as does the final.

Archived