The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM

POST ID # = 669504
Fancayzy Reputation: 10
Default K70 Keyboard, Eleven (11) dead LEDs

A little over 2 months and this keyboard has eleven dead LEDs. It had dead LEDs shortly after I received it but 1 or two was an annoyance, not a failure. However, more and more LEDs constantly die. I have no doubt that even more will die.

I started a ticket (6080570) but no RMA #. I really don't want to spend a single cent for the enormous cost of shipping (if I want another keyboard in less than a month) when this keyboard had so many bad (and most likely more to come) LEDs.

Edit I guess the ticket # is also the RMA #. Everything else still applies.

Last edited by Fancayzy; 08-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 PM

POST ID # = 669865
Fancayzy Reputation: 10

Update: The dead LEDs count has now gone up to twenty-three (23) dead LEDs. How the heck do so many fail? I absolutely refuse to get another Corsair keyboard or spend another dime for an RMA process until I can get assurances that this will not happen again.

There are so many dead LEDs on the main keyboard that I might as well turn off the LEDs permanently (W, E, X, C, V, I, K, P, ?, left ctrl, 5, 7, -, =, \,
F8 and probably more and more as time goes on. This is in addition to down arrow key, Insert, Num Lock, 9 on keypad, etc.)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 AM

POST ID # = 669885
Toasted Reputation: 86

Make sure you aren't using the custom L.E.D. profile feature.

If you are not, It sounds like the K70 is faulty. This would be the first time i've seen this issue occur.

You can contact customer service via phone and ask if they can assist with shipping.

You can call them using Skype by calling their toll-free number.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 670228
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

This is not an issue that is commonplace and points to a defective keyboard. We can replace it for you under RMA which we have approved.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM

POST ID # = 670319
Loki76 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
This is not an issue that is commonplace and points to a defective keyboard. We can replace it for you under RMA which we have approved.
Is that so, I have the exact same issue.

Currently 4 keys have dead LED lighting. I, like this author of this thread expect more to follow.

Then again every single Corsair product I've owned have failed.
The last was the M95 that died within 2 days, sent that one back with shipping cost coming out of my pocket.

Now I have this K70 Keyboard issue and I refuse to pay a hefty shipping charge to have it fixed, when it is a Corsair issue.
Shipping alone is basically half the cost of the whole keyboard.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
RealityBites's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670495
RealityBites Reputation: 10

More RMA to come for this keyboard. A few months after purchasing my K70 keyboard, a bunch of the LED lights have failed. 12-13 keys have LED failures so far and they do not all fail at the same time. Just today two number keys have failed so it prompted me to search to see if others are experiencing this issue. Seems like if it was not common back then (when first released), it is now or about to become very common.

Last edited by RealityBites; 08-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM
velocityx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670512
velocityx Reputation: 15

I think corsair needs to change their led supply, h80i and h100i leds are dying left and right, now keyboards.

kinda sucks.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM

POST ID # = 670527
Falkentyne Reputation: 10

I have three dead LEDs on my K70. S and F are dead, while N is 95% dead(very very faint). The keys all work, though. I want to RMA but I want to wait to see if corsair tracks down the problem, as I don't want to have a replacement start having dead LED's too.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 670591
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Contrary to what some members may assume, it isn't an "inherit" problem. When you manufacture tens of thousands of keyboards, you will unfortunately run into a few keyboards that have a LED issue (similar to how Christmas lights can go out).

We understand LED's can fail sometimes and anyone who does have the rare unfortunate issue of it failing can definitely get it exchanged by us under your warranty. Just let me know your ticket number when you put in a RMA request and I'll take care of it for you.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 08-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM
areamike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670733
areamike Reputation: 10

Chalk me up as another one with failing LED's on K70.
F8 and PrtScn have stopped lighting up after having the keyboard for about 3 weeks.

I also registerd on Corsairs support site, they sent me an email with a random password but it won't let me login. I have had them send me two new passwords and I still cannot login.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Flemminr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670800
Flemminr Reputation: 10

Got my K70 about two months ago. Haven't had any issues with it and it worked great up until last weekend when the LED's in the bank of arrow keys died. Since then I've had LED's dying steadily all across the board. Currently at 17 dead LED's. I paid $150 to get a quality product, not something that was going to break two months down the road.

Called customer service to see if I could get a keyboard sent to me first so I could just swap the keys rather than having to take all my rubber o-rings off and then put them back on, but of course since I don't have a credit card nobody was willing to help. Then went on to ask if I could get a pre-paid shipping waybill and I was told that it was my own responsibility to ship the product to Corsair. It's absolutely ridiculous that I've paid $150 for a keyboard that has an obvious manufacturing defect and that I'm expected to pay an additional $40 to ship it to to get a replacement.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM
areamike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670802
areamike Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
Got my K70 about two months ago. Haven't had any issues with it and it worked great up until last weekend when the LED's in the bank of arrow keys died. Since then I've had LED's dying steadily all across the board. Currently at 17 dead LED's. I paid $150 to get a quality product, not something that was going to break two months down the road.

Called customer service to see if I could get a keyboard sent to me first so I could just swap the keys rather than having to take all my rubber o-rings off and then put them back on, but of course since I don't have a credit card nobody was willing to help. Then went on to ask if I could get a pre-paid shipping waybill and I was told that it was my own responsibility to ship the product to Corsair. It's absolutely ridiculous that I've paid $150 for a keyboard that has an obvious manufacturing defect and that I'm expected to pay an additional $40 to ship it to to get a replacement.
That is not right. Corsair should be responsible for shipping both ways. It is THEIR fault the product is defective, not the consumer's.

I'm on hold now with Customer Support awaiting to find out if they are going to generate me a shipping label. If not, they lose my business forever. I've never dealt with a company that did not pay shipping both ways on a defective product. That is just bad business.

Last edited by Technobeard; 10-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM

POST ID # = 670809
Loki76 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Contrary to what some members may assume, it isn't an "inherit" problem. When you manufacture tens of thousands of keyboards, you will unfortunately run into a few keyboards that have a LED issue (similar to how Christmas lights can go out).

We understand LED's can fail sometimes and anyone who does have the rare unfortunate issue of it failing can definitely get it exchanged by us under your warranty. Just let me know your ticket number when you put in a RMA request and I'll take care of it for you.

Not an occasional LED that died, that would be explainable and can be chalked up to "it happens when you have thousands of keyboards".
The issue is that they fail in a steady pace, first one, then 4, some have 17 dead LED.
That is a manufacturing error, could be that the soldering of the LED or the LED supply you use if of sub-standard.
LED lights can last for years and years.
So ONE light failing, sure, several one after another no way.

You have my ticket nr, Ramguy I have my invoice attached. please look into it as you said, I'd appreciate it.

Ticket nr. 6085994

Last edited by Loki76; 08-20-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM
pyroxene's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670870
pyroxene Reputation: 10

Hello, just registered today to say that my k70 that's nearly a month old has 3 dead LEDs (comma and 2 arrow keys).

Now this was bought in the US and I'm living in the Philippines...
3 dead LEDs isn't the end of the world but I don't know if it's worth the hassle to RMA this (to Taiwan?) and receive another defective keyboard if it's a manufacturing issue.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 PM
RealityBites's PC Specs

POST ID # = 671796
RealityBites Reputation: 10

Did not know that Corsair does not pay for return shipping. That's unexpected as I have had good to great experience from other companies recently that I overlooked Corsair's policy. As a matter of fact, while creating an RMA with Corsair I do not recall being notified that I would be responsible for shipping. I was only told that I would be charged full for the keyboard so that they can expedite shipping a replacement keyboard. The policy stated Corsair expected me to ship back the faulty keyboard within two weeks (I think). Nothing stated I was responsible for paying shipping in return. That's unfortunate if this turns out to be still the case, since I would have paid for a better known quality brand instead of Corsair. Ugh, I thought RMA with Corsair would be painless.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: