The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 652409
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 131
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru
Default Haswell compatibility with Corsair power supplies

Hello all!

We've put a blog post up that explains why there may be a compatibility issue with some power supplies and the new Intel Haswell CPU's low power sleep states. This blog post will be updated as we learn more.

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/haswe...ower-supplies/

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM

POST ID # = 652824
Thor74 Reputation: 10

Hi
I am wondering: What about the HX1000 series? In the chart Corsair names the HX1050 as 100% compatible with Haswell, but not the 1000.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 652845
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

HX1000 should be fine.

The list currently doesn't include legacy products. I need to update it this week.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM

POST ID # = 656042
Rada_gast Reputation: 10

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the corsair builder series cxm 500w modular power supply is ready for haswell?

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 656056

We've successfully tested it with some Haswell motherboards, but we haven't qualified it as per Intel's testing parameters.

If one was to have a problem with a CX500M coming in and out of sleep mode, you can always disable C7 sleep state in the BIOS.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM

POST ID # = 656063
Rada_gast Reputation: 10

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM
dawnyworld's PC Specs

POST ID # = 656790
dawnyworld Reputation: 10

hi could someone tell me if my HX 850 is compatible its 3 yrs old now and i know its on the list but is that a revised edition ??

Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 656824
Technobeard Reputation: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyworld View Post
hi could someone tell me if my HX 850 is compatible its 3 yrs old now and i know its on the list but is that a revised edition ??
This is stated on the blog post. It is referring to the HX850 80 Plus Silver and Gold certified PSUs.

CMPSU-850HX = HX850 80 Plus Silver Certified
CP-9020032-NA = HX850 80 Plus Gold Certified
"Don't mind if I do!" [Goes crazy] - Homer Simpson

Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM

POST ID # = 666704
Naed Reputation: 10

Any chance of getting an updated blog post ?

There are quite a few that are listed as

"Likely compatible — currently validating"

Personally im very curious about the HX650 from the "HX (Legacy Bronze and below)" section :)

Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 666919

Quite frankly, ANY power supply will work with a Haswell CPU. A Haswell motherboard's VRM doesn't get power from a power supply's +12V any differently than any other modern day motherboard. The problem comes from Haswell's sleep mode. The power state is so low that the PSU may not be able to know if the PC is even on.

Fortunately, this power state can be disabled in the BIOS, so there's no reason an HX650 or any other PSU won't work.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Brahmzy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 674744
Brahmzy Reputation: 10

So is it safe to say that the PSUs that haven't been deemed compatible yet... aren't compatible?
I mean how long does it take to grab a CX430M off your shelf and test sleep with Haswell?
This sucks - I need a lower wattage, affordable, modular PSU for my HTPC. I think I'm going to have to get a Seasonic, when I'd really like a CX430M.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 674862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
So is it safe to say that the PSUs that haven't been deemed compatible yet... aren't compatible?
I mean how long does it take to grab a CX430M off your shelf and test sleep with Haswell?
This sucks - I need a lower wattage, affordable, modular PSU for my HTPC. I think I'm going to have to get a Seasonic, when I'd really like a CX430M.
It's really not that simple. In fact, we did "grab a CX430M off the shelf" and tested it and it worked in a number of different Haswell builds. But if it doesn't pass Intel's artificial testing (performed on a load tester), we can't say that the PSU will work in 100% of the possible hardware combinations that are out there.

Unfortunately, there are a number of manufacturers out there that are saying "Haswell Compatible" only because they tested the PSU on some sample machines and they worked, despite the fact that they still don't pass Intel's testing methodology. Corsair is a little bit more responsible than that.

Like I said before in this thread, if you use one of the "undetermined" PSUs and have problems with the PC coming out of sleep mode, you can simply disable the C7 sleep state in the BIOS (which is probably disabled by default in the first place). If you feel that's not an option, I suggest the new RM450 power supply. It's Gold, as opposed to Bronze, it's fully modular, as opposed to semi-modular, and has a fanless mode up to 40% load so it's extremely quiet under most uses.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 AM

POST ID # = 686482
nyepo Reputation: 10

Hi! I just checked the blog post about Haswell and Corsair PSU compatibility and I have some questions:

I have a HX620 Modular PSU from Corsair, using it in my new Haswell config (ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5-3570K). Been using it for 3 months without troubles, but last week I had 2 "suddenly turned-off" situations with that PSU. Gone alive again after unplugging it and waiting few minutes. Is it due to the probably incompatibilities between PSU and Haswell? I was not doing anything so special (just playing steam games), no overclock.

My current HX 620 is marked as "Likely compatible" PSU with Haswell but apparently some "sudden turn off" situations may ocurr. Can you confirm it happens due to that incompatibility, or may be any other cause?

I also have and old PC with an HX650 Modular PSU from Corsair. Will it be perfectly compatible with my Haswell system? Checking the blog post, I see two different HX650:

HX 650 (Silver, Gold and HX1000): 100% Compatible with Haswell CPUs
HX 650 (Legacy Bronze and below): Likely compatible — currently validating

How can I know which one is mine? I have no original cases or documentation.

Has Corsair finally validated if Bronze and below HX's are compatible with Haswell or not?

Thank you

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686539

Your issue would be related to having the Haswell CPU if it wouldn't turn on after going to sleep or if it shut down immediately after coming out of sleep and you would be able to remedy the problem by turning the C6/C7 sleep states in the BIOS.

So what were you doing, or what was the computer doing, when it "suddenly turned off"?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM

POST ID # = 686540
nyepo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Your issue would be related to having the Haswell CPU if it wouldn't turn on after going to sleep or if it shut down immediately after coming out of sleep and you would be able to remedy the problem by turning the C6/C7 sleep states in the BIOS.

So what were you doing, or what was the computer doing, when it "suddenly turned off"?
Hi. The first time it happened I was playing a game. The second time I was doing normal browsing stuff, firefox etcetera. So I doubt I had problems with the sleep states. Anyway, where do I have to check in my BIOS settings to turn off the C6/C7 option? Didn't see that option.

Some images of my bios (ASRock UEFI) just in case you can see where can I find that option:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asrock+z77+extreme4+bios&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=TkT&rls=org.mozilla:ca:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JvKkUsa3JIuS7Abcp4CICA&sqi=2 &ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=945

Last edited by nyepo; 12-08-2013 at 05:52 PM.