The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM

POST ID # = 603431
Mnpctech.com Reputation: 10
Default Case Mod Project: Corsair Vengeance c70 "Planetside2's New Conglomerate"

"PLanetside2" is the sequel to the landmark MMO FPS has been revealed and is bigger and better than ever. PlanetSide 2 is a massive multiplayer online first person shooter. Game play delivers truly epic combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Battles wage with literally thousands of players aligning with one of three unique factions in intense land, air and vehicle gameplay where the fight for territory is more than a victory, its survival. This "New Conglomerate" (commonly abbreviated NC) case mod is for Planetside2's Art Director, Matt Higby. The NC is one of three empires waging for control over the planet Auraxis. They are characterized by hard-hitting weapons and heavily-armored vehicles that are designed with straight lines and hard edges. Their faction colors are blue and yellow.

Matt will be utilizing Corsair's H100 CPU cooler for the best optimal cooling.

we took time out to create c70 replacement windows here, http://www.mnpctech.com/Corsair_c70_...placement.html
on 10/4/12, Finished installation of Turbine Intake last night. I envisioned something evocative of heavy duty power equipment, with lines connecting to the sides that look hydraulic hoses.

120mm Overkill Fan Rings Link, http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html

My canvas is Corsair's new Vengeance c70. It's a rugged, military inspired design. It arrives equipped with lots of features. It includes three Corsair 120mm fans, with the option to add seven more 120mm fans. Option to mount 240 or 360 radiator in the top panel. It has eight expansion slots. The retail price is $139.99. You can read my Corsair c70 Vengeance Case Review

Factory Specification List:
Warranty: Two years
Dimension: 19.7" x 9.1" x 21" / 501mm (H) x 232mm (W) x 533mm (L)
MB Support: ATX, mATX
Expansion Slots: 8
Material: Steel
Drive Bays: Three (3x) 5.25” bays, and Six (6x) 3.5”/2.5” hard drive bays
Cooling Fans Included: Three (3x) 120mm fans
Front I/O: (x2) USB 3.0, (x1) Headphone, (x1) MIC, Power, Reset Switches
Power Supply: ATX (not included)

Onto the first Case Mod!

The first modification is converting the c70's factory window to plain window without any fan hole perforations.

I'm also debating about installing a 200 or 230mm PC cooling fan in the window

http://www.mnpctech.com/200mm_230mm_fan_grill.html

The c70 window assembly dismantled. Save the 16x Black screws! We will be using them to re-install out custom window.

The new window will be cut from 24" x 24" sheet of 1/8" thick, Clear, cast acrylic. I'm tracing the factory window dimensions onto the sheet.

Using Vertical Saw to cut the new window.

Going on 6 years ownership of my 14" Grizzly Vertical saw w/o a hitch.. You can use 1/8″ x .025 bi-metal blade for cutting acrylic and metal sheets. I usually cut 1/8″ thick sheets, http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0580-.../dp/B0007D2WS8

This step is optional! I Rounded corners in the window with Hand file.

Using "Plas-Drill" 1/4" drill bit to make insert holes for the mounting pegs, on the 4 individual Black window trim pieces. The best drill bits for plastics are spur-point bits, also known as dowel bits. They are specifically angled to make smooth cuts in the material. A spur-point bit has a central point and spurs that keep the bit aligned, maintaining a clean, neat hole.

Place the acrylic sheet onto the panel and mark off the locations for mounting peg holes.

Using 1/4" Drill bit made for Plastic.

The acrylic sheet is placed on backside of the panel in this photo.

Reinstall the 4, Black window trim pieces into the panel. The pegs on the trim piece protrude through the panel and into your acrylic sheet, (after removing the paper backing on your acrylic sheet).

Remove the paper backing, then install the acrylic sheet. The pegs on the Black trim should protrude through.

Use the 16x factory Black mounting screws, you removed to install your new window. You will need washers. You can get washer from Hardware or Home Improvement stores. I chose these fan grommets as spacers, to mount the acrylic sheet.

Close up of fan grommets being used as spacers, to mount our custom window.

Our new window is installed!

Now Matt can view into his PC without anything obstructing his view. Next stage is customizing the c70's front bezel with something a bit more Industrial look.. Be back soon!

Last edited by Mnpctech.com; 08-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
sketchiness abounds...
stratosrally's PC Specs

POST ID # = 603521
stratosrally Reputation: 10

And he's back!

Thanks for being so detailed about the proper equipment and showing close-ups of the screw mounting. I know many people have asked about how to swap out the window on this case.

Looking forward to your usual magic here...

Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM

POST ID # = 603589

Thank you for tuning in stratos! Yes, many people have asked how to replace the factory window

I'm envisioning this PC to emulate Field Equipment used by the New Conglomerate... I want to make the bezel much more aggressive and Industrial look.

Lancool K58 bezel

The K58 over the c70 bezel.

K58 bezel over c70.

Removing the Corsair c70 front grill.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM

POST ID # = 603725
ZeroKateo Reputation: 10

Very nice, How many fan grommets did you need? Also does it matter what blade is on the vertical saw? And do you have to have that drill bit or is it just recommended? Also when you were cutting this, did you trace a line onto the paper and then cut along the line or did you use the original window as a guide for the blade? Could you have rounded the corners with a vertical saw or is it recommended to do it by hand with a file? Also where did you get your plexiglas from?

Last edited by ZeroKateo; 09-20-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM
joejoe69's PC Specs

POST ID # = 603731
joejoe69 Reputation: 10

That front bezel look boss!!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 AM

POST ID # = 603781

Thank you for your comment, joejoe69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKateo View Post
Very nice, How many fan grommets did you need?
16x, but you can use washers instead of the grommets. I stated this in my guide

Quote:
Also does it matter what blade is on the vertical saw?
Use whatever cutting tools you have access to.. I used a vertical saw for straight line cuts.

Quote:
And do you have to have that drill bit or is it just recommended?
You don't have to use that bit, but you risk cracking the window with normal bit.

Quote:
Also when you were cutting this, did you trace a line onto the paper and then cut along the line or did you use the original window as a guide for the blade?
I traced the factory window dimensions onto the sheet. I stated this in my guide, under the photo.

Quote:
Could you have rounded the corners with a vertical saw or is it recommended to do it by hand with a file?
It's optional, as stated under the photo of the hand file

Quote:
Also where did you get your plexiglas from?
You can buy Plexiglass sheets at Home Depot or Lowes, in the Window section. I prefer the clarity and durability of "Cast Acrylic" which you can order online here

Last edited by Mnpctech.com; 09-21-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Bull3t's PC Specs

POST ID # = 603795
Bull3t Reputation: 10

wow cant wait to see the rest of it ...well it is bill O from mnpctech modding extreme is his business keeping the standard high

Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 AM

POST ID # = 603802
ZeroKateo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnpctech.com View Post
Thank you for your comment, joejoe69

16x, but you can use washers instead of the grommets. I stated this in my guide

Use whatever cutting tools you have access to.. I used a vertical saw for straight line cuts.

You don't have to use that bit, but you risk cracking the window with normal bit.

I traced the factory window dimensions onto the sheet. I stated this in my guide, under the photo.

It's optional, as stated under the photo of the hand file

You can buy Plexiglass sheets at Home Depot or Lowes, in the Window section. I prefer the clarity and durability of "Cast Acrylic" which you can order online here
Thank you very much for your time and reply, I was just really nervous about screwing everything up. Also this looks like it is going to be AWESOME, can't wait to see it finished.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM

POST ID # = 603832

No problem. The guide is good starting point, but feel free to do whatever you need within your resources and skill levels.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 AM

POST ID # = 603964

Case is dismantled and ready to paint. The basecoat will be Metal Flake Blue.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 AM

POST ID # = 604077

My vision for this PC is to look like futuristic military field equipment used by NC soldiers. I will be creating a unique cooling fan intake. I want to simulate something evocative of heavy duty equipment, with lines connecting to the sides that look hydraulic hoses. Here is what I have in mind of parts so far....

120mm LEPA Chopper LED Cooling fans Link,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835494009

120mm Overkill Fan Rings Link, http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM

POST ID # = 604114

The New Conglomerate Badge will be on the right side panel. Instead of just painting it on the panel, how about a Three Dimensional version? Hell Yeah! So I surveyed my pile of acrylic.. I got some Transparent Blue and Clear. No Yellow, but I can always paint it!

All of the acrylic I'm using is Cast Acrylic, 1/8" thick. I printed out the logo, cut it, and traced around it, onto a 12" x 12" sheet of Clear acrylic.

I used the Vertical saw to cut the traced pieces from the acrylic sheets.

Cutting notches in the wingspan.

Refining and defining the cuts with Hand File.

Detailing the star, from the center of the logo.

I'm debating about implementing some metal into the piece as well... Maybe mount the logo on metal shield... (back to the bench!)

Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM

POST ID # = 604230

I'm creating a unique cooling fan intake. Something evocative of heavy duty equipment, with lines connecting to the sides that look hydraulic hoses.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM

POST ID # = 604294

Today, I stated creating a junction box for all of the simulated hydraulic lines from the Intake Fan. This will be located on the front of the chassis. I'm using an outdoor Outlet enclosure. I've attached Round hole Modders Mesh with DP-190 Epoxy. The enclosure will be painted Silver aluminum.

Last edited by Mnpctech.com; 08-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
sketchiness abounds...
stratosrally's PC Specs

POST ID # = 604367
stratosrally Reputation: 10

As always, your details and imagination keep me comin' back. Very cool...

Tags
c70 window, corsair case mod, corsair h100 mod