Corsair Community

Disassembling the K60 Keyboard

Scirocco

Hello all,

Yes, I know this will void my warranty. That's almost expected when you're modding something! I ran a forum search and really didn't find the information.

My daughter and I are starting a complete case and accessories mod. We plan to paint the aluminum deck in black. So far, I've removed all the keycaps on the K60 keyboard and all of the tiny screws. When I attempt to separate the aluminum deck from the base of the keyboard there is definite resistance. Has anyone else opened their keyboard up completely and have any suggestions? I realize it may be an internal clip or similar. I could pull harder, but don't wish to actually break it!

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry and since as you stated this would VOID the warranty these corrections have not been given to us, I did send a message to the Product Manager to see if something can be done and will let you know ASAP.

Thank you so much, Ram Guy. I do love Corsair's products, between five PSUs and a bunch of ram, nothing has failed me yet.

Ordinarily I would not do anything to void my warranty (I'm a cautious kind of girl.) This is a big mod though and a silver keyboard just won't do. The pc case is a black NZXT Phantom which is getting some custom airbrushed artwork at MNPCtech next week. I suppose if Corsair made the K60 with anodized black top deck, masking off the keys, etc. would have been all that's needed.

I will post the project here in the forums once we really get going. Thanks again for your assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scirocco!

I have tried opening my k90 but encountered the same problem. Contacted technical support and reply was they don't know how to do it or don't want to tell me.

I am pretty sure further pressuring the case will break the clip connecting two parts. I wouldn't do it

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.., i did not get my K60 yet, but i intended to do the same - paint the Aluminium Plate in White to fit my White Mouse and Case

Now what makes me curious, that a Hardware Manufacturer just is not able to tell you how their Stuff is assembled, even as you agree that you void your Guarantee - we just want to minimize the risk to destroy the Hardware, but accept it to a minimal degree

• 8 months later...

i have found how to disassemble the keyboard, there are 2 more screws hidden at the top

one is under the corsair loggo witch can be removed with a small flathead screwdriver

the other is under the right cap of the volume scroller. this one is tricky to remove, the notches are internal so you must spread its ends, its like a upsidedown "U".

Unfortunately removing the circuit-board would be nearly impossible without specialized tools since the cherry red mechanical keys are clipped on the underside between the aluminium and the circuit. I only wanted to wash my keyboard properly with water, soap and a tooth brush and be able to blow air on it so no water stays lodged and disassembling it to the point i did worked fine for that.

Archived